La Spezia - train ride

MJ123

Do we tender in La Spezia? how close is the train station from the pier? is it easy to take the train and hop on and off in Cinque Terre or should we join the shore excursion? I have also heard good things about Porto Venere. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Can anyone comment on the punctuality of these trains? I vaguely remember Rick Steves joking about these trains not running on time, there's another one in an hour ( may not be exact quote)

With a ship disembarkation deadline to meet, I would like to allow enough time if indeed even reasonable punctuality is doubtful.

We stayed in Monterosso (the northernmost town in the Cinque Terre) a few years ago and foundthat the trains that run through the Cinque Terre are easy to hop on and off. As I recall, we purchased a day pass, took the train to the southernmost town, hiked the trails through three of the towns and then decided to take the train back to Monterosso. I think the "milk run" (local) trains run quite frequently, but we didn't pay much attention to the schedules. The Cinque Terre will do that to do.:)

We just came back in April from a cruise on the Regatta. We tendered and walked to the train station in La Spezia. It's about a 15 to 20 minute walk through a very nice area. The trains were very punctual when we were there.

We purchased a Cinque Terre ticket which covered the trains and trails. We then took the train to the farthest town Monterrosso and hopped off and on all the way back to La Spezia. We had lunch in Manorola and walked the Via Dell Amore. No problems at all but then again this was April.

We just came back in April from a cruise on the Regatta. We tendered and walked to the train station in La Spezia. It's about a 15 to 20 minute walk through a very nice area. The trains were very punctual when we were there.

We purchased a Cinque Terre ticket which covered the trains and trails. We then took the train to the farthest town Monterrosso and hopped off and on all the way back to La Spezia. We had lunch in Manorola and walked the Via Dell Amore. No problems at all but then again this was April.

How much was the CT Pass ticket?

Was the walk to train station very hard to find?

On the cinqueterre.com web site it says the 1 day card is 5 euros. The fee to enter the park is 3 euros so the card is a good deal since it includes the train. There's a more expensive card that also includes the ferries.

I forget the cost but I think it was under 15 euroes for both of us. The walk to the train station to the port is about 15-20 minutes. You go through La Spezia and their is a pedestrian mall with no cars for part of the way. We like to walk and look so this was not a problem. People who took the ship's tour could not get into the Cinque terre ports that day due to rough seas so we definetly lucked out taking the train.

Archived