Is it ok to cruise to the Caribbean in Sept.?

I know that cruises are cheaper at this time of year because it's hurricane season. Has anyone cruised in September without a problem? Even if you did have a problem let me know. I would like to hear everyones trip experience. Thank you all for your help.

I've done more cruises during hurricane season than not. Never a problem as I figure all I need to get to the boat and they'll keep me out of trouble. One time when FL was having the 4 back to back hurricanes, we did get out in between storms and had a great time.

Half the year is hurricane season (June through November)....don't avoid booking this half of the year, just because of the possibility of a hurricane. Get trave insurance, and be ready to joyfully accept any changes in itinnerary due to storms.

Sept 15 is exact heigth of H. season. If you are looking at pricing; lowest first/ second week Dec. Very few crowds, great weather! I was on a 10 day Carib. in a static low with 30 ft. waves. We could not go into any port. Everyone was ill. They ran out of some foods. I remember going down to dining room one nite, just me & 25 Canadians, nothing stopped them. One entre for dinner, broken dishes all over. Truly the cruise from hell. Wait till late Nov.

We've missed some ports cruising at that time of year, but I think that if go without having your heart set on a particular port, it can be worth the risk.

i have done a good many cruises in sept. and as long as you know there could be changes to your itinerary, you'll be fine. i think the worst i ever had was a missed port when it would have involved tendering to the port. and that is a possibility under normal circumstances.

Most of our Caribbean Cruises have been in Oct. Only once out of 7 cruises did we miss a port because of weather, and had one bad rough sea day coming back into Houston.

The Captains are really good about getting you around the worst part of the bad weather. Go enjoy Sept.

Retiredonthesea

I agree with the others..... as long as you just want to cruise and do not care what ports you go to, hurricane season is the time to go if you want cheaper cruises. We've had a couple of cruises changed from western to eastern caribbean, and we've also had one that was changed before we boarded and then changed twice after we boarded...only made 1 port that trip and it was NOT on the original itinerary. We also got out of FLL the day before Wilma hit (also used our insurance for that one, but Wilma stayed over Mexico long enough for us to get there and get out). We have also had beautiful weather and calm seas in all of these situations.

it's sort of a trade off... cheaper prices for uncertain ports. Works for me.

Sailed 3 years in a row in Sept. Only trouble was the first cruise in 2005 (the big year for hurricanes), we sailed between Rita and Phillip and had rough seas. Some people missed some dinners. We didn't feel good one morning, most likely because of the air pressure from the two storms, took a Gravol and was fine. Went back around the same time the next two years and even took my DH's parents last time.

How do excursions work this way? I'm taking a cruise in September and one port is Cozumel. I've heard to book through the actual excursion place instead of the cruiselines to save money. If a change in course is needed, how would a refund be handled? Are most excursion places good about refunds?

I always cruise in September or October - for the prices and to avoid too many children on board.

While there have been a few occasions of rougher than normal seas, everything was just fine.

I did have to drive from NJ to Miami one time a few years back. Hurricanes were slamming into Florida at a pretty good clip. I was due to sail on Fascination for a 4 nighter. As the hurricane neared land, airports were closed, trains not operating and no way to get from Philly to Miami. I was darned determined to make the ship. So, late Friday afternoon, I loaded up "little Skippy" (my '97 Sunfire) and off we went.

Everything was OK until Sunday morning as I crossed from Georgia to Florida. The hurricane had made landfall during the previous night. WOW! Not much traffic, fer sure..just a few 18-wheelers and me most of the way. Trees all over the highway, power lines down...still raining like heck but, I latched on behind a truck figuring to just stay in his contrail.

Around Cocoa Beach, I needed to gas up... Pulled into a gas station - just as the power failed. GULP. I'm on empty and there isn't a gas station within driving distance that can pump!

So, a hundred or so cars - and I - hung around, waiting for power...all day Sunday. Nothing. As evening approached, I was fully prepared to sleep in the car when I noticed a Best Western sign down the road. Crossing my fingers that I wouldn't run out of gas, I drove there figuring I could park in the lot to sleep and feel a bit safer. I went in the lobby to see if they'd let me use the restroom....no lights or anything. They said they had one room left...so I took it.

No air conditioning, no lights but the place was full of adventurous folks. We all sat around outside chatting and wondering when power would come on. I was very nervous about missing the cruise - scheduled to leave at 4:00PM on Monday - and I'm still a good 150 miles away.

Finally, about 11:00PM, I decided to get some sleep. But, first, I turned everything on in the room including the TV just to make sure I woke up if/when the power came on.

Next morning, still no power. NOthing to eat - anywhere. Some of us raided the "kitchen" off the lobby and found some dry cereal, bread and little packetts of peanut butter.. YUMMY. Walked to the gas station where the owner had opened up and a few hundred cars were in line. Bought some warm coke and a bag of chips.

I called Carnival to see what would happen if I missed the ship - explained where I was and what was happening. Found out they had delayed the departure until 8:00PM because so many people were hung up somewhere...

Just about 1 or 2:00, the power came on!! I joined the line of cars waiting for gas and, after about 1 1/2 hours of waiting, got little Skippy filled up and drove like a woman possessed, pedal to the medal.

Arrived at the port about 6:30....nobody to take my money at the parking garage (so got to park free)...I was aboard with my first Frou-frou drink by 7:30PM...tired, hungry, smelly, wrinkled but happy as a clam!!!!

I always cruise in September or October - for the prices and to avoid too many children on board.

While there have been a few occasions of rougher than normal seas' date=' everything was just fine.

I did have to drive from NJ to Miami one time a few years back. Hurricanes were slamming into Florida at a pretty good clip. I was due to sail on Fascination for a 4 nighter. As the hurricane neared land, airports were closed, trains not operating and no way to get from Philly to Miami. I was darned determined to make the ship. So, late Friday afternoon, I loaded up "little Skippy" (my '97 Sunfire) and off we went.

Everything was OK until Sunday morning as I crossed from Georgia to Florida. The hurricane had made landfall during the previous night. WOW! Not much traffic, fer sure..just a few 18-wheelers and me most of the way. Trees all over the highway, power lines down...still raining like heck but, I latched on behind a truck figuring to just stay in his contrail.

Around Cocoa Beach, I needed to gas up... Pulled into a gas station - just as the power failed. GULP. I'm on empty and there isn't a gas station within driving distance that can pump!

So, a hundred or so cars - and I - hung around, waiting for power...all day Sunday. Nothing. As evening approached, I was fully prepared to sleep in the car when I noticed a Best Western sign down the road. Crossing my fingers that I wouldn't run out of gas, I drove there figuring I could park in the lot to sleep and feel a bit safer. I went in the lobby to see if they'd let me use the restroom....no lights or anything. They said they had one room left...so I took it.

No air conditioning, no lights but the place was full of adventurous folks. We all sat around outside chatting and wondering when power would come on. I was very nervous about missing the cruise - scheduled to leave at 4:00PM on Monday - and I'm still a good 150 miles away.

Finally, about 11:00PM, I decided to get some sleep. But, first, I turned everything on in the room including the TV just to make sure I woke up if/when the power came on.

Next morning, still no power. NOthing to eat - anywhere. Some of us raided the "kitchen" off the lobby and found some dry cereal, bread and little packetts of peanut butter.. YUMMY. Walked to the gas station where the owner had opened up and a few hundred cars were in line. Bought some warm coke and a bag of chips.

I called Carnival to see what would happen if I missed the ship - explained where I was and what was happening. Found out they had delayed the departure until 8:00PM because so many people were hung up somewhere...

Just about 1 or 2:00, the power came on!! I joined the line of cars waiting for gas and, after about 1 1/2 hours of waiting, got little Skippy filled up and drove like a woman possessed, pedal to the medal.

Arrived at the port about 6:30....nobody to take my money at the parking garage (so got to park free)...I was aboard with my first Frou-frou drink by 7:30PM...tired, hungry, smelly, wrinkled but happy as a clam!!!![/quote']

Thank you so much for that great adventures story :D So happy to hear you made it!!!

Thank you all for the replies.

"Happy Mother's Day"

How do excursions work this way? I'm taking a cruise in September and one port is Cozumel. I've heard to book through the actual excursion place instead of the cruiselines to save money. If a change in course is needed, how would a refund be handled? Are most excursion places good about refunds?

MANY excursion companies allow you to pay the day of the excursion. I would not want to risk having to try to get a refund if you missed the port of call. I have used several large excursion companies and have given them info to book a reservation, but never any money in advance.

I usually cruise in September as the prices are great. All I have to do is get to the port. The captain does the rest. I have had some ruff seas, but hey that is the luck of the draw. Still better than not cruising. :D

Archived