Labadee description please

I'm looking for input on Labadee. I'm having a hard time envisioning what is actually there. If we just go to RC's beach where they have the wavereunners and inflatable toys and such, are there beach chairs and umbrellas available for use. Anyone who's been there and can help me paint a picture would be much appreciated.:confused:

It is a peninsula of a Hatti. It has beaches on both sides and eating facilities and straw market in the center.

To really get an idea go to a site like http://www.webshots.com and type in Labadee and you can see others pictures. This will give you a better picture - literally.

If you enjoy the beach, you will enjoy it.

Darrell Duncan

It's a beautiful beach, with white sand (of coral or shells, finely ground) palm trees, volleyball, hammocks, BBQ areas (the ship provides all the food!) several different swimming areas. There is a zip line, but we've never used that.

There are plenty of chairs--umbrellas--I don't know--we just find a nice tree for shade!

If you go past the 1st beach you come to, there will be more seclusion! It's large, but not so big that you can't walk the whole thing!

The entire area is RCI's.

I'm not good at painting pictures but here goes. Yes there are complimentary beach chairs and umbrellas, a few hammocks, some palm trees and usually a nice tropical breeze. It is a private paradise, has easy walking trails and sandy beaches. Be aware that Labadee is part of a natural coral island. The coral may be hard to detect but it is just lying below the sand so be careful. There is shopping at the artisan market and also the haitian flea markets so bring small bills if you plan to shop. RC brings food onto the island and serves a complimentary BBQ for lunch. Beverages can be purchased using your seapass card (just like on the ship). Labadee is a nice relaxing beach day. :)

We went to Cococay with RCCL and it was wonderful UNTIL we went into the water. You could not walk because there were so many rocks and boulders on the bottom and you could not swim over them because it was too shallow to swim.

Can you walk on the bottom in Labadee? Is the bottom sandy? Or is the coral going to cut your feet up?:confused:

We've been to barefoot beach which is closest to the tender area. There are a few small rocks to watch for on the bottom but nothing to cut you that we encountered.

Labadee is everything we imagined a tropical paradise would look like. It's beautiful and it's HOT.

We've done the beach, the zipline and the thriller boat ride. I would recommend either of them.

We think Labadee is BEAUTIFUL!! I'd hate to book a cruise that didn't include it out of Cape Liberty, NJ (given I live in NJ)!! It is SO relaxing...there are things to do if you are so inclined or you can be a complete BUM!! which is usually what my husband and I are (BUMS!!)...LOL

The picnic food is great, the Haitian people do a "show" of their native dances, there is shopping and as I said (and others have)...there are things to do...but it's our total relax Port of Call...absolutely Wonderful!!

And the map posted here should be a big help to all!! :)

Just got back from Labadee sailing Liberty and had another lazy laid back day. (been there many many time). Zip line was a new addition, did it and loved it. Captain announced at the C & A Welcome back party that they're suppose to be building a dock as Genesis will have a problem tendering that many passengers, should have started construction 4 months ago, but nothing has started yet.

You'll love Labadee....

Dave

Loved it but but a word of warning, please take some dollars with you. We forgot, and there was somebody to help you get the sun lounger and umbrella, but they look for a tip and are very insistant about it, so much so that one of our party had to go back on the boat to collect some money, and when she came back they were over for their tip. Don't let them put at the first beach, we did that but after going for a walk discovered that we would have prefered one of the other areas as there was a nice breeze (I think it was dragon tail beach), other than that had a great time.

Lanark Lass

We went to Cococay with RCCL and it was wonderful UNTIL we went into the water. You could not walk because there were so many rocks and boulders on the bottom and you could not swim over them because it was too shallow to swim.

Can you walk on the bottom in Labadee? Is the bottom sandy? Or is the coral going to cut your feet up?:confused:

Don't know what others will say, but I had no trouble at all walking and swimming at Labadee. I thought the water, beach, views, were just great. Try to picture the perfect beach day and that's what Labadee is. I spent my day in the water, in the hammock, on the chair. It was my favorite port of call on that cruise.

We were in Labadee last June and I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice beach day it is. The area is beautiful; the picnic area was well organized and the food was pretty good and they had a nice variety (they offered Greek salad from the WJ so I was happy.) Our first cruise we were on Coco Cay, and it was very windy and overcast, so I didn't enjoy it as much.

I meant that in a good way. Remote island, lots of sand and water and nothing to do but have fun.

I took it same way. I think of a Gilligan's Island quote and the same as saying it's like Mayberry. A positive quote. Labadee, very laid back, enjoy the sand, no telephone, listen to the waves, enjoy various excursions if you want. Have a nice lunch, watch yourself with the sun, explore the island, then when ready, head back over to the ship. A GREAT relaxing day with no worries. Been there MANY, MANY times.

Dave

Labadee is very relaxing...until you get to the artisan market. They are very very pushy! I felt a bit uncomfortable there and wish I had never entered. It was a stressful end to a relaxing day. Just bring small bills so you can show them that you have nothing more to give.

Labadee is very relaxing...until you get to the artisan market. They are very very pushy! I felt a bit uncomfortable there and wish I had never entered. It was a stressful end to a relaxing day. Just bring small bills so you can show them that you have nothing more to give.

Haiti is experiencing food rioting in the streets and people on the other side of the chain link fence are literally starving to death, others and eating "dirt pies". Please remember this when you think the people are "pushy". They are desperate. There is another link with more information on the situation there if you search Haiti.

I guess it is your point of view, I loved the market with all the beautifull crafts and such. The indoor portion in a NO haggle zone.

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

Or just say no thank you and keep walking. I understand that those unaccustomed to this style of shopping may be put off by it or intimidated into buying something they don't want. But it's mostly just a cultural thing. No one is going to beat you over the head and make you buy something.

Haiti is experiencing food rioting in the streets and people on the other side of the chain link fence are literally starving to death, others and eating "dirt pies". Please remember this when you think the people are "pushy". They are desperate. There is another link with more information on the situation there if you search Haiti.

To each their own. When somebody is literally grabbing me by my arm and dragging me to their booth so I can look at something that I have no interest in, I call that pushy. Yes, it's an unfortuntate situation in Haiti and it is a totally different cultural experience, but I am entitled to feel a bit unsafe and worried just as you are entitled to enjoy and soak in the experience.

Archived