Maasdam info, please

lizbeth

Hi HAL cruisers -

We are sailing on Maasdam this summer and I've done quite a bit of research about this ship. However, I've been unable to come up with the answers to the following questions. Can anyone help, please?

1. Are there U.S.-type pronged outlets for hairdryers & battery charging in the cabins? How many? Where are they located? (cabin or bathroom)

2. Is there a hook on the inside of the bathroom door?

3. Is there a ledge or shelf for storage in the bathroom?

4. Is there an alarm clock or a clock in the cabin?

5. Are the cabin doors made out of metal? Will a magnet stick to the door?

I'm in an outside view cabin on A Deck in the middle of the ship.

Thanks for your assistance with this!

Warm regards,

Liz

Gee Liz, you could-a asked me!

1. One US outlet under the desk mirror, along with a European outlet (bring along a six outlet "surger strip" if you want multiple items charging/plugged in at the same time). One additional US outlet in the bathroom for a razor.

2. I believe so, but honestly don't remember.

3. As I recall there is a small ledge under the sink, you may want to consider something to hand over the door to hold stuff.

4. No, I carry a travel alarm, but never needed it.

5. Never tried it.

See you soon!!

1. Are there U.S.-type pronged outlets for hairdryers & battery charging in the cabins? How many? Where are they located? (cabin or bathroom)

Yes. In most cabins, one plug.

2. Is there a hook on the inside of the bathroom door?

Yes

In "S" Suite cabins, on Maasdam, No! Some other ships there is a shelf that runs the length of the sink counter. If "S" cabins don't have that shelf, I think it unlikely most cabins do.

There are a few shelves on the wall beside the sink. Not huge but (almost) adequate. Some people bring a plastic shoebag they hang on the bathroom door hook and put their various bathroom products in the pockets. Mouthwash, toothpaste, contact lens solution if applicable etc

4. Is there an alarm clock or a clock in the cabin?

No

5. Are the cabin doors made out of metal? Will a magnet stick to the door?

No. I think not.

Magnets will NOT stick to your cabin door! But that does remind me of a cabin door joke;

This young blonde, about 21 goes on her very first cruise on a dam ship. She checks herself into her cabin, a nice one with a window, but then fails to show up for the 4:15 lifeboat drill. Upon finding this out from the commander of boat 13, and being the dedicated, professional and dilligent seaman that he is, the Dutch officer running the drill notifies the Front Office with a request to first telephone the young lady's cabin before someone will be send out to physically check on her.

The blonde answers the phone hysterical and sobbing uncontrolably and advises the Front Office staff that she's stuck in her cabin and can't get out. "Why not for heavens' sake" replies the stunned F/O staffer. "Because there are only two doors in my cabin" sobs the blonde, "One goes to the bathroom and the other through which I entered has a "Do not disturb" sign on it" ;)

Instead of a medicine cabinet the Maasdam has a shelf that runs above the length of the sink/vanity. There's a little guard rail to keep your things from flying around.

I don't recall a shelf under the sink on this ship, but there could also be one of those.

Yes, there is a hook inside the bathroom door.

If you want a clock bring a battery-operated, or a wind-up clock. You can set a wake-up call on your telephone.

Thank you all -

Many thanks to all of you who provided such valuable information! I've put "power strip" on our list of things to pack! And I have a small decal (removable) that I will use to mark our door instead of a magnet.

Our docs have arrived, so it is time to get serious about planning and packing for this voyage!

Thanks again,

Liz

Lizbeth

Saw this in your signature.

Freedom of the Seas, 10-15-06 (Cruise Critic 10th anniversary Grand Prize winners!!)
How exciting!!! Were you the winner of a 'random drawing' or something like that?

Hope you have a great cruise on the beautiful Maasdam. She and Noordam are our favorite ships. :)

Archived