SPECIAL CRUISE FARES FOR CHILDREN & SENIORS

roe2ship

Aboatnerd - I did not start this thread to hear all the negatives about cruising with children. If a particular cruise line targets families and this is not your cup of tea, simply choose another line and avoid holidays and summer months.

Back to the special rate question…..While Princess may not offer senior discounts, some major cruise lines do but won’t for children. While I understand (to some extent) that a child uses the same space and services as an adult, a one year old child will clearly eat a small fraction of what an adult would eat. For instance, there are restaurants with buffets that have different pricing for children, adults and seniors as well as movie theaters, beauty salons, hotels, etc. Services are the same for all demographics in this area but yet different pricing. Another example, why is it that a child under 2 could fly free? They are still getting from Point A to B. Why do theme parks, even Disney, charge less for children ages 3-9? How different can you explore a theme park. You are using the facilities there in the same manner.

We all started and have stayed with Princess because of their Past Policy with limiting children. Why should we have to change lines? If you want reduced rates for children,then utilize those lines. I don't know why people, get upset & keep telling us to go somewhere else, when we aren't the ones trying to change the policy. I'd be happy if it was no one under 21. Then they wouldn't have to check ID's, wouldn't have to have a teen center(room for another bar), less mess's to clean up.

Good topic. I don't belive kids should be given a discounted rate just because they are kids on a cruise.

We are a family of six. Kids are 13,13,11,9 (at the moment). We have taken them on two cruises. I am happy with any discount given. I could understand paying full fare for all six of us. It's nice to have 3rd and 4th person rates.

They eat as much as I do, and use as much if not more of the ship and it's services as I do. They go to the shows, swim in the pools, etc.

Now, my kids do not create more of a mess for anyone. I draw the line there :) I expect them to be polite and act like they would at home. (Minus the bickering....LOL)

Bobbie

Celebrity also has senior rates.

I have never seen Princess having senior rates. HAL ran specials last year for teachers/professors because they are tied to school schedules. I work for a university but am not a professor - I didn't qualify for these rates. It is sort of frustrating.

We got a fantastic deal for our two kids for next June. They go complety free! We only had to pay the two adult fares! Sounds like they want more kids on board!

Huh?? Not buying this. NOBODY goes "completely free". Even if the "cruise rate" is free, EVERY passenger must still pay port charges and taxes. Also, June is one of the highest travelled months of the year for families, and you RARELY see any discounts, as the ships are always pretty full.

Micheller - what ship and line gave you this great "deal"?? TIA

As a family of 5, we do not feel we should be entitled to any special fares beyond the 3rd passenger rate (we don't use the 4th obviously) when we book 2 cabins. Our children use the Princess kids' clubs and I don't believe there is a Princess senior citizens' club - so the kids actually come out ahead in my comparison.

My kids definitely do not make more messes onboard than an average passenger so I don't think that would be part of the equation at all! That's just ignorance. In fact, I would argue that adults make more messes with their beer containers and what-nots than the children do since the children are usually contained in the clubs, the dining areas, or their staterooms. Adults are all over the ship leaving their trash around for the cruise staff to clean up - that's been my experience on past cruises.

I have entered a request on bookings as two seniors and then as 2 adults and they always come back at the same price. It has made me wonder why they always give you the option to enter a rate request as a senior, if there really is no discount. Most cruise lines bill just -- third/fourth passenger and you get the same rate if you are six or if you are sixty.

Carol

Huh?? Not buying this. NOBODY goes "completely free". Even if the "cruise rate" is free, EVERY passenger must still pay port charges and taxes. Also, June is one of the highest travelled months of the year for families, and you RARELY see any discounts, as the ships are always pretty full.

Micheller - what ship and line gave you this great "deal"?? TIA

The ship line is Princess - the ship is the Sea Princess and we got a 45% discount with our TA and a "children go free special offer!" They are out there in the UK maybe not so anywhere else? We did have to book by the 31st August though.

The rates and promos for UK are very different than those in the US. Generally their rates are significantly higher than ours, thus many of them book through US travel agents. There used to be several posts by a few Brits on this topic (topic was called Brit's Dossier or something like that).

Micheller,

It would be interesting to see how that same sailing compared price wise if booked through the USA (with 3rd/4th passenger fare included). I wonder whether it would still be such a good deal. Don't panic... not asking you to say how much? Am more talking out loud to myself. I've found I've saved far more by going using an US TA than by using a British one, so that is food for thought.

That said, Royal Caribbean here in the UK, ARE offering free child places on selected sailings out of Southampton.

Child under 12 yrs FREE when sharing with two adults on 4 June, 10 and 24 September 2005 (subject to triple/quad availability and excludes regional air supplements). Only a limited number of staterooms will be available with this special discount. Operated by Royal Caribbean International.

Obviously these dates are during the UK school term time, when most parents would be reluctant to take their children out of school. There's always a catch somewhere!! Would probably suit those with pre-school children though.

Roe2ship,

We are also a family of 5 (but normally take a friend... so are 6 when travelling). As much as I'd 'like' a discount (who wouldn't) I don't think it could be justified when my children are using facilities that could be used by a passenger paying the full fare. Even more reason why not is because one of my teen sons IS inclined to be messy!! (I clean up before the cabin steward goes in... if you get my drift!!). If I'm honest I would much prefer to see some sort of discount given to those families with a severely handicapped child or adult in their party.

The RCI cruise from Southampton is doing the same itinery as ours and they are obviously in competition with Princess offering the same sort of deal. Our cruise leaves on the 4th June too from Southampton - luckily our children have a half-term week during the cruise! Otherwise I wouldn't have considered it!

Zeroni - Yes there is no senior citizens club - the entire ship is available in age appropiate designations, just like the kids club.

WCAB - I wonder myself why they give you that option online. If you noticed they also provide children ages too but no discount. As I said in my original post, the discounts are only offered occasionally on certain sailings for seniors. Here is the perfect example, but instead for children. Just a few sailings with a limited number of staterooms.

Quote:

Child under 12 yrs FREE when sharing with two adults on 4 June, 10 and 24 September 2005 (subject to triple/quad availability and excludes regional air supplements). Only a limited number of staterooms will be available with this special discount. Operated by Royal Caribbean International.

I'm curious as most are responding to children are using the facilities the same way, but what are your thoughts are examples in my op to children / seniors receiving discounts? Aren't they the same services? All I am saying is it would be nice to get a promotion once in a while as the one above by RCL. If they can run promotions for seniors in the US, children should be no different. IMO.

Wouldn't promos for seniors be run during non-peak periods? I'm not sure if they are even geared at seniors, though in many cases the regional specials are likely to be jumped on by people whose children are grown and/or have retired and can plan their vacations more easily.

BJBoothman (username) did provide a concise answer about the senior discounts. I would be interested to know if the observation that seniors might spend more and therefore contribute more the bottom line is really true or not. When families can't cruise, you just want to fill the ship - a cheap cabin is still more profitable than an empty one.

At the end of the day, though, the only reason to offer incentives to certain market segments is to encourage them to book. If families are booking cabins in large numbers, there is no real need to provide incentives. Even Disney, noted for their high-quality family-friendly environment, doesn't give anyone any breaks in the pricing department.

Holland America offers occasional promotions for on board credit for seniors. The last I received was $50 p/p. We needed to provide a copy of AARP memberhip card, so it was more an AARP credit than it was a "senior".

I also received a "senior" rate for a cruise on Celebrity's Mercury. I don't recall the exact discount, but it was in the neighborhood of ~$150 on a seven day Caribbean for a category 5 cabin (that's a mid priced outside). The best part of the deal was being upgraded to a Sky Suite complete w/butler.:) I've often seen "senior" rates advertised for Celebrity, but no others.

[quote name='spongerob'] Even Disney, noted for their high-quality family-friendly environment, doesn't give anyone any breaks in the pricing department.[/QUOTE]
Rob - True for the cruiseline [i]but[/i] not for their theme parks. Disney can charge
children ages 3-9 an adult price and most likely families will continue to vacation there. I spent over 1,000.00 for admission to the theme parks for a family of four (my youngest was free since he was under two at the time) for one week. Would I still go if no children discounts were offered. - you bet same as for cruising. Naturally Disney has there reasons (they will be rich either way), but funny that the cruisline is not discounted but theme parks are.:rolleyes:

I would think the themepark is dicounted since they are going to make a lot of money off guests for food and souvenirs. I would say families probably spend more money in those parks than non-families.

[quote name='Pam in MA']Theme parks are specifically designed for children. For the most part, cruises aren't. So, I don't quite understand equating or comparing the two.[/QUOTE]
I think most major cruise lines are catering to families these days by adding a whole variety of children's programs, separate swimming pools, arcades and teen discos. Yes theme parks are designed with children in mind, but you need parents and grandparents to take them there. For the most part, Disney is for all ages.

It's not an apples-to-apples comparison, though. A theme park can build facilities and sub-themes to their heart's content if they have enough land. A ship is a far more limited environment, so adding space for a teen disco means something else has to be eliminated.

A theme park is built primarily to attract families. Cruise ships have had to change because families have become a significant part of the customer base.

It's interesting to note that not that long ago, Las Vegas tried to increase its customer base by marketing to families. That really didn't work out as intended and many of the more traditional customer base were turned off. Now, they've returned to the "sin city" marketing plan, and they're making more money than ever.

[quote name='spongerob']
Of course, none of this explains why cars that only seat two people are so much more expensive than those that seat 4, 5, or even 7. :)[/QUOTE]Well, obviously its because a family with no kiddies can afford to pay. :D
The same logic that is apparently used with the tax system. :rolleyes:

Mike

Archived