Disembarkation question

What is the disembarkation protocol at the end of a cruise? We will be disembarking (Serenade of the Seas) in Vancouver but will not have a flight home until the next day. I would like to leave the ship as early as possible to then have a full day of touring Vancouver on our own. Any suggestions?

Odds are, you will be the last to depart (which is usually still fairly early) because you don't have any flight to catch. If the Serenade offers express debarkation at that port, you can get off first thing in the morning by carrying your own bags ... but, you have to be able to carry all of your bags without any type of assistance ... and this will usually be very early in the morning (perhaps too early to see a whole lot).

It's very typical ... quite a few people will want to be the first one off the ship. Debarkation day is usually very hectic, and if you want to spend the day sight-seeing, you might be better off taking a slow start, getting a few extra hours of sleep, and getting off the ship in mid-morning.

Good advice.

But you can't "get a few extra hours of sleep" because they want you out of your cabin by 8, regardless of what time you will be exiting the ship, because they have to prepare for the next load of passengers.

Good advice.

But you can't "get a few extra hours of sleep" because they want you out of your cabin by 8, regardless of what time you will be exiting the ship, because they have to prepare for the next load of passengers.

For me, sleeping in on debarkation day would be sleeping past 6 AM ... but seeing bills on the doors, I know that some sleep right up until they are kicked out .... ;)

usually the afternoon/evening of disembarkation there are extra bag tags by the pursers desk....just go down grab a few of an earlier time and put them on the bags...there is no verification process as you get off to check your original color...

You really won't know until it's all history. The port you disembark is Ballantyne and I think typically only one cruise ship is there at a time. I'd not worry too much about disembarkation time, the ship wants you off ASAP and if you try to leave too early, much of everything in Vnacouver will be closed. If I were you, I'd relax and have a nice brekkie and disembark no earlier than 9 am.

Grab a cab to your hotel and drop your bags off, remember to take locks for all of them, even your carry ons! The Bell Desk should hold them for you until check-in time. Vancouver is a great town to explore on your own and even though one day is short, you can see a whole lot in that amount of time.

Do a web search of the city, the tourism sites are great, and pin down exactly what you would like to see before you get there. Granville Island and Stanley Park are my favs.

Have fun!

I agree. Go to the Desk the night before and find early tags. Go eat breaky in the morning. Grab a cab to your hotel and drop off your bags (sometimes they will let you check in but don't count on it). Go and explore Stanley Park if it is early then go from there.

VOS did not put the tags out since the word has spread about switching colors.

So I would recommend when you fill out the disembarkation paperwork, you list an early flight out the day you dock!!!!

Just in case they do not put out the bag tags!!!!!!!!

I agree with what was said by others. If there´s not a delay of any kind the ship wants you to "get out there";) and usually the last passengers are gone by 09:00-09:30am.

Now any big city just doesn´t really get going early in the morning anyway and that time would work perfect for you to head to your hotel, drop of your bags and start your sightseeing day.

Archived