Keep Balcony Doors Open?

We have our first balcony stateroom this summer on the Explorer. We thought it'd be nice to fall asleep at night to the sound of the ocean. Do the doors to the balcony stay open? Is there a way to keep them open? Thanks for the info.

The a/c goes off when you leave you door open. Sit out there and enjoy the sound and then when you go to sleep close the door. Besides we woke up one morning to a bunch of bird by and on our balcony I was glad we didn't have the door open because they could have flown right in.

One warning - never attempt to open the door to the cabin if the balcony door is open. Wind tunnel doesn't even begin to describe what happens.

Very true. Like someone earlier said, we just love to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean and many times will have the balcony door open all night.

And don't forget - when you pull into port - sometimes they are washing the ship and if your door is open - they can spray the water right inside your cabin :)

We have our first balcony stateroom this summer on the Explorer. We thought it'd be nice to fall asleep at night to the sound of the ocean. Do the doors to the balcony stay open? Is there a way to keep them open? Thanks for the info.

And don't forget - when you pull into port - sometimes they are washing the ship and if your door is open - they can spray the water right inside your cabin :)

Never had that happen but I did wake up on the last morning with someone on my balcony. Apparently they clean all the balcony areas on the last morning so make sure you got you got your clothes on or your curtains closed the last morning.

One warning - never attempt to open the door to the cabin if the balcony door is open. Wind tunnel doesn't even begin to describe what happens.

When the paper money left out on the desk flies out the balcony door into the ocean they will find out. :eek: Or, the next days tour tickets, etc. :D No lie, You know what can happen. ;) I was opening the cabin door, flew out it back wards and stepped on my neighbors room service dishes in the hallway. Scared the you know what out of me. Our neighbors came running out laughing. It happened to them also so they knew exactly what was going on. :D

If you are in a side balcony the doors slide open and they stay put as they are heavy unless in a storm. As someone else said just never have that door open when at sea and go to open your cabin door at same time as bad things can happen!:D It creates a wicked wind tunnel, always shut balcony door first before opening cabin door and this is really important to remember if you hear a knock from room service as the waiter and you will be wearing the food if you open the cabin door! :D I've never had the A/C go off with balcony door open on the Ex. but I do not leave it open the entire night either but some people do. Have a great cruise! :)

thanks for the warning - I would have never guessed that one!

balcony virgin here (don't even go there, way tooo easy!)

We had breakfast on our balony one morning as we pulled into a port. We went back into our cabin and when we looked outside our balcony was full of seagulls EATING our breakfast! We were really glad we #1 were finished eating and #2 had our door closed!:D

We had an aft balcony on the Radiance to Hawaii last year 10 sea days wonderful... we spend most sea days sitting on the balcony...does anyone have a secret on keeping the balcony doors open...when the ships rolls from side to side the balcony door opens and then slams shut back and forth back and forth... we tried putting a chair to prop the door open but it still slid and then slammed into the chair....Thanks:):p:D

We had an aft balcony on the Radiance to Hawaii last year 10 sea days wonderful... we spend most sea days sitting on the balcony...does anyone have a secret on keeping the balcony doors open...when the ships rolls from side to side the balcony door opens and then slams shut back and forth back and forth... we tried putting a chair to prop the door open but it still slid and then slammed into the chair....Thanks:):p:D

Depending on the door some of them "lock" when you open and then push the handle up - sort of locking in place.

We always sleep with our door open when we cruise Alaska. Cold and snuggly in the room and the air is crisp and clean! Brrrrr! Love it!

If you bring a magnet with you, the a/c will stay on when you leave door open. Just place magnet on door frame where you see the other magnet connection.

I think you are about to get some interesting feedback.

There are many people on this site who can hardly wait

to see a post like this so they can rip into someone.

They appear to get great enjoyment from doing this.

I for one appreciate the tip.

Thanks

What about a bungee cord ... since you have to pack one anyway (at least that's what the "packing lists" say)

The bungee cord is NOT needed on RCCL - it's a Carnival thing because their balcony doors are not on sliders.

I think you are about to get some interesting feedback.

There are many people on this site who can hardly wait

to see a post like this so they can rip into someone.

They appear to get great enjoyment from doing this.

I for one appreciate the tip.

Thanks

When we were on the Jewel last year, our A/C stayed on even with the door open. I don't know if the Freedom class is different in this regard. I'll find out next Fall. ;)

The magnet trick does work on Spirit Class Carnival ships. We used it for our cruises on them.

We've experienced both the "wind tunnel effect" and the bird in the room situations on those rare occasions when we left the balcony door open and don't care to experience either again.:D Figuring out ways to keep the a/c on while the balcony door is open reminds me of Richard Nixon turning on the A/C in the White House so he could have a roaring fire in the fireplace during the summer.:confused: I just don't understand why, if you want the fresh sea air you get by opening the balcony door, you need to keep the A/C running at the same time. Seems a bit of overkill IMHO.:rolleyes:

Depending on the door some of them "lock" when you open and then push the handle up - sort of locking in place.

Having just had an aft balcony on Serenade and we can confirm that this is the correct procedure for holding the door open. Just put the door where you want it to stay then twist the handle as though you were locking it. Worked everytime!:)

Archived