Keep Balcony Doors Open?

We like to sleep with the balcony doors open. But, if it's hot and humid, then it gets uncomfortable because the air conditioning automatically goes off when the doors are open.

One good reason for cruising late April/eary May, you can still get some cool pleasant evenings, even in the Caribbean. Those are also the great nights for the hot tubs, which on Freedom recently, were wonderful.

Yeah, no apologies on leaving the door open. If i want the air off and fresh air in, so be it.

I don't think anyone expected apologies from those that disregard requests from the cruiselines. Asking for the impossible is a waste of time.:)

I don't think anyone expected apologies from those that disregard requests from the cruiselines. Asking for the impossible is a waste of time.:)

And I don't think any were or will be given. It's fresh air. I love that the A/C goes OFF when door is open, but when it is ON that is saving energy? If the A/C is off, no energy is being used on it. Only time the door is kept closed if it is too humid. Other then that, I prefer A/C off and fresh air IN.

I´ve not been on all RCCL ships but the ships I´ve been on so far had one thing in common. There´s no magnetic switch that turns the A/C off when the balcony door is open. And yes I have looked for it as I keep reading these legends about bringing a magnet here on CC. Actually I´ve even checked the A/C and it still blew cold air when the door was open. However what happens if it´s hot and humid out there is that the room can get wet and foggy to the extend that water is dropping from the ceiling and the A/C not being strong enough to keep the room at a comfortable temp.

I would really like to know what RCCL ships have those magnets and better yet picture evidence.

I´ve not been on all RCCL ships but the ships I´ve been on so far had one thing in common. There´s no magnetic switch that turns the A/C off when the balcony door is open. And yes I have looked for it as I keep reading these legends about bringing a magnet here on CC. Actually I´ve even checked the A/C and it still blew cold air when the door was open. However what happens if it´s hot and humid out there is that the room can get wet and foggy to the extend that water is dropping from the ceiling and the A/C not being strong enough to keep the room at a comfortable temp.

I would really like to know what RCCL ships have those magnets and better yet picture evidence.

Which then would make sense for saving energy, but if these guys are right in saying it goes off when door is open, they have no case in telling me im wasting energy.

Which then would make sense for saving energy, but if these guys are right in saying it goes off when door is open, they have no case in telling me im wasting energy.

They are probably referring to the fact that the temp in your room will probably rise while you have your door open and the air conditioner then works all the harder to get the temp back up to where it belongs. Maintaining a constant temp is far better than to have fluctuations all of the time. That does waste energy.:)

Like I said, its only vclosed if I feel too humid, which is rare. 90 percent of the time, its off. I save alot more energy that way, if its only on lets say 2 days out of the 9, im pretty sure I saved alot more energy then having it coming on & off for 9 days ;) :)

Well I´m waiting for some evidence that A/C´s on RCCL ships goes off when the balcony door is open. I don´t believe the stories.

Well I´m waiting for some evidence that A/C´s on RCCL ships goes off when the balcony door is open. I don´t believe the stories.

It doesn't on the Jewel.

On Carnival Spirit Class ships it does turn off though and the "magnet trick" does work on those. The switch which you need to tape the magnet to is on the underneath of the top door frame.

Yeah, no apologies on leaving the door open. If i want the air off and fresh air in, so be it.

I dont think the sign asks to leave the door closed.:confused:

I think it is more "informational" like, "Hey, FYI, you're a/c is going to shut off when you open the door"

or "by the way, if you are wondering why the a/c is not working, try shutting the door"

It makes sense to me. I always shut off the a/c when I have my patio door wide open. I would guess they could care less either way, they are just going to be efficient.

It DID on FREEDOM a couple of weeks ago. DH and I had a battle- he prefers a/c while I wanted fresh air....

One warning - never attempt to open the door to the cabin if the balcony door is open. Wind tunnel doesn't even begin to describe what happens.

This is going to be a stupid question, but do you still get the wind tunnel thing happening if you're on the hump?

This is going to be a stupid question, but do you still get the wind tunnel thing happening if you're on the hump?

Yes, you definitely do. Location of your balcony stateroom doesn't matter.:)

Bigtime!! As I was entering the cabin, I blew out the cabin door backwards on the Hump, :eek:

as my husband was opening the balcony door to enter the cabin.

We like to sleep with the balcony doors open. But, if it's hot and humid, then it gets uncomfortable because the air conditioning automatically goes off when the doors are open.

Really? In every balcony we've had, the air keeps running when the door is open. Makes it very comfortable if it's hot and humid out.

Does the "wind tunnel" occur in aft cabins also?

My husband almost had his hand taken off. Thank goodness he has very quick reflexes when he came into the room at the same time I was coming in from the balcony. DEFINITELY can happen on the aft.

Archived