New Cruiser looking for answers

HI everybody!

Me and my fiance will be getting married in October and plan on booking our first cruise on the Voyager of the Seas that leaves out of Galveston! (We wont be able to go until January due to work :( ) I just had a couple of questions about the ship line. I know that there are two different routes to take. One being through Jamaica, Montego Bay,....and the other through parts in Mexico. I was curios what would be the better trip? Also, my fiance and i like to drink and have a good time. I have been told that although a cruise is cheaper than staying in an all inclusive resort, you defintely make up for it buying drinks on a ship. I was curious if they had any kind of deals on the boat that might not break my wallet.:) I appreciate any help i get on the matter. Thanks!

Since you have never cruised before, I would think either route would be good for you as you have not seen any of the ports. There is a "drink of the day" everyday that you can get for $5.25 (I think) when you specify you want it in a regular glass, not the souvenir glass which costs more. I believe there is a bucket of beer "deal" but don't know what it costs, as I am not a big beer drinker. You may want to rethink an AI resort, say in Cancun or Riviera Maya. The prices will be less than a balcony cabin, at least the ones I have priced. And then you can drink all you want without paying extra. Your bar bill can be quite large on the ship.

There is a drink of the day everyday that will save you a little.

Make sure to ask for it without the souvenir glass.

You could bring your own alcohol on. This is called smuggling here.

Many feel this would make you a low life, cheapskate, criminal.

When you get on the ship you will soon see that it is filled with

lowlife, cheapskate, criminals. You will be able to tell who these

people are because they will all be smiling and having a good time.

We enjoyed Roatan and Progreso/Merida. Victor Boden's private tours for about $25 in Roatan are fabulous. His email is victorbodden at yahoo dot com. You'll see lots of reviews for him in the "ports" section of this board. We booked a private tour through Yuctan Travel for Progreso and went to Merida. However, our friends really enjoyed the RCI "Discover the Yucatan and the Mayan World" excursion for $68.00 pp. On the other hand, you might enjoy Dunn's Falls in Jamaica. Drinks on the ship add up fast so you might want to do that while you're in a port.

I have sailed out of Galveston several times, and I just did the Conquest that went to Jamaica...personally, I liked going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Key West best...Jamaica was ok, but its a toss up if you have a nice safe expierence. After we got home, there was a big discussion about the men going thru a different line than the women and about being "patted" down. I had no idea any of this was going on..I asked my hubby about it, and he said he went thru the ladies line cause it was shorter, and got yelled at, but his gear was already in the conveyer, so too late..:D I researched going to Jamaica and found some ppl thought it very safe, some ppl wouldnt dare get off the ship...we did and enjoyed the day, but had more fun in all of the other Caribbean ports..I cant wait to go on Voyager, but guess it will have to be next year some time...Dot

Archived