Dawn Question

Woobstr112G

I was considering (don't know if my significant other would want to be away from our dog for so long though) a 35 day Dawn sailing R/T from Sydney in early 2010. Anyone else out there ever sail on the Dawn before. Bout the only thing I've heard is that most balcony's are very small.... Any comments would be appreciated..

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Look into this very closely before you consider booking. The Dawn will be sailing out of Australia then for Princess/P&O. Even though it is still advertised as a Princess cruise, there will be many things that are different.

They took the Sun Princess to AU and added a few hundred more berths to her, took out anytime dining (which meant it has been reported there are not enough seats now to accomodate all the passengers in the dining room so some are destined to dine at the buffet for Dinner every evening). The shipboard account for the Sun is now all in Australian Dollars, and they are also charging for things we are used to being included when the ship is sailing for Princess in North America.

In other words, when they send the ships down under, it is reported they are really doing some 'not so nice' changes to them. :( :(

Look into this very closely before you consider booking. The Dawn will be sailing out of Australia then for Princess/P&O. Even though it is still advertised as a Princess cruise, there will be many things that are different.

They took the Sun Princess to AU and added a few hundred more berths to her, took out anytime dining (which meant it has been reported there are not enough seats now to accomodate all the passengers in the dining room so some are destined to dine at the buffet for Dinner every evening). The shipboard account for the Sun is now all in Australian Dollars, and they are also charging for things we are used to being included when the ship is sailing for Princess in North America.

In other words, when they send the ships down under, it is reported they are really doing some 'not so nice' changes to them. :( :(

Wow....

Thanks for the info...Will give this cruise an extra special going over before I decide to book it....Thanks again

Bob

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

I sailed the Dawn and was not particularly fond of the ship. It is too small for my taste and didn't have enough to do. I wasn't thrilled with the entertainment either. The ship is just too old for my taste.

But then I would not do a long cruise on any ship. I like being at a different place every day, so any cruise with a lot of sea days would make me want to jump ship anyway. It all depends on what you enjoy.

But I will say I had about the best service on any ship I've been on. The staff throughout the ship couldn't have been nicer.

But we also met many people on the ship that had sailed it multiple times, so it all depends on your taste.

You might want to read the readers reviews carefully to determine if this is the ship to do a very long cruise on.

We were on the Dawn for a 7-day last December. We were in a mini-suite and really enjoyed the cabin - lovely bathroom even though it had only one sink. Overall it was very spacious and comfortable and - yes - the balconies are very narrow.

The entertainment was so-so. The only thing I didn't particularly enjoy was the anytime dining, and this may be a universal problem with this type of dining. We had trouble getting a table for two, and I became weary of trying to make small talk with people I had very little in common with. One night we were seated with two young couples who were traveling together. They never acknowledged our presence. Finally my husband interjected himself into the conversation and introduced us. Only then did they speak to us and soon returned to their conversation - awkward. Another time we were placed at a table for ten that so crowded and loud it was difficult to talk to anyone.

Otherwise we liked the ship well enough, but I'd give closer scrutiny to any changes that may come as a result of the changeover.

Just keep in mind, the OP is asking about a Dawn cruise AFTER it goes down to Australia. So, it is impossible to compare a cruise on the Dawn when it sailed out of North American for Princess with what they will find down under. ;) If they do the same to the Dawn as they have done to the Sun Princess, you won't be able to recognize it as sailing on the same ship. :(

Just keep in mind, the OP is asking about a Dawn cruise AFTER it goes down to Australia. So, it is impossible to compare a cruise on the Dawn when it sailed out of North American for Princess with what they will find down under. ;) If they do the same to the Dawn as they have done to the Sun Princess, you won't be able to recognize it as sailing on the same ship. :(

Thanks for letting us know!! I have sailed both the Dawn and the Sun several times and enjoyed them--in North America. Those changes sound awful, and the prices are high down there too! I'd feel ripped off if I didn't get into the dining room, unless there was a steep discount. Is the old anytime dining room the area where they put in the new berths?

Appreciate your keeping us up to date Toto!

No - additional berths are added to the existing staterooms.

Exactly, they are increasing the triple and quad stateroom capacity so the ship can hold several more hundred passengers. At least this is what has been reported they have done to the Sun Princess, so my guess, the Dawn will not be any different. :(

With the added passenger load, and only tradional dining being offered, there just aren't enough seats in the diningroom for the number of passengers onboard.

Here's a review I wrote about the Dawn Princess to Alaska - Sep 2006. Hope it will also give you some of the information you are looking for.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=21479

Mary;

Thanks for the review.

Bob