Easy and cheap in Ft. Lauderdale

dwink

Hello all,

Starting to look for a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale for our trip in January. We will be arriving in Ft. Lauderdale late the night before departure (10:30) with my wife and 2 daughters. We won't need anything fancy, just clean and with efficient airport and cruise shuttles. Any recommendations?

Hey dwink - I was looking for the same time frame and the hotels were all running at least $150 and up - so we opted for a 'red eye' from California arriving in FLL at 5am day of cruise and get got a great one way fare on Jet Blue.

Not sure if that will work for you but there are 2 couples goin and we couldn't see paying $3-400 for one nights rooms. That will be lots of extra umbrella drinks for us!!

Enjoy your cruise.

Depending on when you are going, the prices can definitely vary.

Priceline/Hotwire are very good options (If you don't

have a specific hotel preference).

There are quite a few choices that are not 300.00/per night.

Besides those 2 sites, I go to the hotel websites and research

their AAA and Sr rates....just depends on the hotel.

Example, I found the Extended Stay on 17th Street for Dec

2008...AAA rate is 103.00. In my opinion, that is a great price:)

It is a well known chain in the port area too!

On hotwire, the renaissance is the only 4 star in the las olas/port everglades area...problem is they do not have free shuttes.. Cab from the airport would be, eh, 20 bucks-ish (or less). they are basically across the street from the port but you can't walk. cab fare from hotel to port would be about 10-12 or so. Per cab, not PP.

January is peak season, so rates will be high. We stayed at the Courtyard airport/cruiseport for an AAA rate of 125 plus tax. They have airport shuttles and will take you TO the port in the AM...you just sign up the night before. Very well organized.

Not much around to eat that late at night.....but there is probably someplace that will deliver.

hth

La Quinta Hollywood/FLL is also a good hotel and it has an airport shuttle and a port shuttle. Price includes a breakfast in the lobby. If you are driving they allow free parking while you are on the cruise.

I agree about LaQuinta Hollywood. Clean and very organized. Walking distance to restaurants, shopping, etc. We arrived day prior to our cruise. Called from airport phone and they were there very quickly. When we checked in, they asked which ship we were on and told us what time to be down the next morning. Breakfast was fine and free. When we got downstairs the next morning for our shuttle, we found that it had about 35 seats. They organized our luggage by ships and loaded them on in that way--first drop off was last luggage on. The company that does their shuttle (KSA tours) also offered us transportation back to the airport at the end of the cruise for $8 per person. We bought it and it was great.

We are now scheduled to use LaQuinta East in Miami for our next cruise. We're hoping they are as organized.

I just put a hold on a room at Laquinta for Dec 2nd:) for

one night.

AAA rate is 107.10:D and the reviews keep coming

back as POSITIVE:)with free shuttle and free

breakfast too!

For the past 5 years of sailing out of FLL I usually stay

along 17th street but this sounds just as good, actually

the free stuff makes it sound better;)

We too stayed on 17th Street at the Embassy Suites. It was a very nice hotel and had a nice Cocktail Reception. The breakfast was free and wonderful, but for $300 a night, wasn't worth it to us. They had no shuttles either from the airport or to cruise port. All we need is a good clean place to lay our heads and a restaurant within walking distance from the hotel.

I think you made a wise choice.

Judy

Hi Judy:), I have never paid 300 bucks for a room anywhere

down there.

Priceline or other choices have always come through for me.:)

I have been inside Embassy Suites and yes its nice, but for

me, definitely not worth 300 big ones!

We had never gone down the day before and we were novices. My hubby insisted that we do everything through RCCL...He didn't trust me making all the air and hotel arrangements, so we paid through the nose. We also paid $50. each for transportation with RCCL. Never again. This time I told him to just mind his business and that I will tell him when to pack his bags!

I agree The Embassy was nice but not worth the $$$. I have never used any of the bidding sites. We will probably stay at the La Quinta. I have gone a sever sites and there are some good and bad reviews...you can't please everyone. I figure it's only one night.

Judy

We've stayed at the LaQuinta, Hollywood (Ft. Lauderdale), and the LaQuinta Airport East in Miami. While not "fancy", both are nice, clean hotels with free shuttles from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the port (don't forget to tip :) ).

If you're driving you can leave your car in their lot for free with a one night stay.

You'll also find menus in your room for local restaurants that will deliver. We use this all the time, as we're usually exhausted after a day of traveling :o . If you don't find them in your room call the desk. Sometimes they "walk off" :rolleyes: .

Over the years we've paid from around $60.00 a night to about $110.00 a night using the hotel's web site and the AARP or AAA discount. We've stayed in some older LaQuinta's that showed wear, but we've never stayed in one that wasn't clean :) !

I agree with Lois, I'd probably have palpitations if I had to pay $300.00 a night for a place to sleep!

I’ve had people stay at the Hampton Inn, Hollywood (Ft. Lauderdale) While not a 5 star but it was nice and clean with free shuttle to/from the airport. Also they have a free breakfast.

The location is great. There are a few restaurants to eat and a couple of places for some last minute shopping and a Dave and Busters.

Archived