Son would like to take a friend!

Pugs

Pugs - its' on it's way. The subject will say

"PUGS -CC Member - LETTER of Guardianship"

Give me a few minutes.

Thank you, how did you arrange the on board account?

last April (07). Took my son and one of his buddies as an early graduation celebration during spring break. Got notarized special powers of attorney from both (divorced) parents. and we were on our way.

Both boys had passports and we did a pre-cruise discussion of "bad idea" vs. "good idea" behaviors. Both boys were no less than gentlemen in all settings and we all had a great cruise. (I did purchase an alcoholic drink in the one port stop (Belize) in which they were considered legal...being newbies, they both opted for foo-foo drinks...;) ).

I am a pretty strict parent and required both boys to go to dinner as a family and be accountable throughout the cruise.

Changing/adding names to the reservation should be no issue, but make sure your expectations as to behavior are clearly spelled out (both to the friend and to the friend's parents/family) before boarding the ship.

last April (07). Took my son and one of his buddies as an early graduation celebration during spring break. Got notarized special powers of attorney from both (divorced) parents. and we were on our way.

Both boys had passports and we did a pre-cruise discussion of "bad idea" vs. "good idea" behaviors. Both boys were no less than gentlemen in all settings and we all had a great cruise. (I did purchase an alcoholic drink in the one port stop (Belize) in which they were considered legal...being newbies, they both opted for foo-foo drinks...;) ).

I am a pretty strict parent and required both boys to go to dinner as a family and be accountable throughout the cruise.

Changing/adding names to the reservation should be no issue, but make sure your expectations as to behavior are clearly spelled out (both to the friend and to the friend's parents/family) before boarding the ship.

Thank you, I will for sure do that, ( tell the boys what I expect)....Thank you aganin for your info.

We always take a notarized letter from the parents as well. We are cruising with our 16 year old son in June, and he is bringing along THREE friends. The info "packets" have been sent home with these boys, along with a letter for the parents to have signed and notarized.

Here is an excerpt from Carnival ( http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_minor_pregnancy_policy.aspx ) on this matter:

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo ID

We always have it notarized no matter what...

Tom

Thank you, how did you arrange the on board account?

Pugs - we spoke to the parents about that and decided that she could have charging priviledges and it would be cleared up at the end. They gave her the guidelines on what she could spend and it worked out very well. I think she spent like $250. We actually paid for one of her excursions

She was 17 so she was very responsible with it, no probs.

We did it last year on a New Year's cruise and are taking the same friend on this year's New Year's cruise - we used the same form that has already been posted, and the only issue we had was getting the kid's mom to understand the importance of having it notarized. We ended up taking it to a notary who knew both families and she called the mom on the phone and explained it to her before she notarized it.

As far as onboard accounts, they went on my credit card - I gave the boys (mine and the friend) a limit they could spend - if they went over, they had to pay me! The friend's mom paid his cruise, and I offered to pay for the excursions. (Which were actually cancelled due to weather.)

We do this - and take a friend on most of our family trips - because 2 teens are actually easier than 1! They hang out and stay busy, whereas our kid would be whining constantly about being bored! Gives US a more relaxing trip - Now, that said, there are some friends I won't even let our son invite. We know which friends we can trust -

And forgot to mention - the ship's stores have been pretty good about making sure charges are authorized. Our son was trying to buy his girlfriend some ($30) earrings in the jewelry store onboard - the clerk would not sell to him without my coming down and saying it was okay.

We were each given a $25 credit for missing Cozumel due to weather - and we let the boys spend theirs as they wished.

Also, the token machine in the game room has a daily limit on kids' S&S cards.

Pugs - its' on it's way. The subject will say

"PUGS -CC Member - LETTER of Guardianship"

Give me a few minutes.

EDITED - PUGS, you should have it!!!!!

I got it, thanks:)

And forgot to mention - the ship's stores have been pretty good about making sure charges are authorized. Our son was trying to buy his girlfriend some ($30) earrings in the jewelry store onboard - the clerk would not sell to him without my coming down and saying it was okay.

We were each given a $25 credit for missing Cozumel due to weather - and we let the boys spend theirs as they wished.

Also, the token machine in the game room has a daily limit on kids' S&S cards.

Great info, thank you.:D

I've drafted a notarized letter from my ex-wife to take my son on cruises for years. I like the Consent Form above. Might want to also include Telephone Numbers and applicable IDs(Social Security No., Passport and/or Driver's License) of yourself, the child and the parents in the notarized letter. I also include a statement that the "guardians" have permission to take the child into Ports of Call and name them. Both these suggestions came from Carnival advisories over the year. Somewhere I've read Mexico may require this. I've been on 5 cruises-sometimes they just glace at it-but a couple of times they read it carefully.

We have taken nephews and our son's friends with us on several occasions. What we took with us:

• Passport
  • Notarized form from each parent allowing us to have temporary custody - this form also allowed us to take them out of the country
  • copies of medical/dental insurance cards in case of emergency
  • Immunization printout, brief medical history, list of allergies, meds, etc
  • list of phone numbers (home, office, cell)

hope this helps.

We never had issues taking anyone with us - but they also knew that we would not hesitate to get off the ship and return home if there was.

Now that our son is 21 and he tells stories of the trips the worst that was done - eating ice cream and pizza all day every day.

And this upcoming trip, I'm probably more worried about the 22yo - it's the first time he's cruised since he became legal drinking age - worried about the bill and about his getting stupid-drunk in front of this grandmother and aunt and uncle.

Not really - he's been studying in Germany for a year, and he's handled the challenge of living (and drinking) over there just fine. Just have to remind him gently - that he's responsible for the drinking on the S&S account and that my family are teetotalers and to be prepard to hear a lecture from grandmother!

And this upcoming trip, I'm probably more worried about the 22yo - it's the first time he's cruised since he became legal drinking age - worried about the bill and about his getting stupid-drunk in front of this grandmother and aunt and uncle.

Not really - he's been studying in Germany for a year, and he's handled the challenge of living (and drinking) over there just fine. Just have to remind him gently - that he's responsible for the drinking on the S&S account and that my family are teetotalers and to be prepard to hear a lecture from grandmother!

Well Kim, if he has a credit card then hook that one into his SS card. :) That may slow him down.

We have the same concern next year. Our DS is graduation from college and will be 21. We are taking him and my DD (graduating from H.S.) on an Alaskan cruise and I already told about the drinking thing and he better keep in under control. I told him if he embarrasses me or himself, his life will change...LOL :rolleyes:

I'm sure he'll be fine. He'll get one or two nights in him and then spend a day in bed, that should cure him....:)

My sons friend wants to go with us as well but he is 20. Do I still have to provide the same documentation?

Thanks in advance,

bychance

I think so, because what I have read some one 25 has to be on the reservation.

I have agreed to let son bring along his friend, however I need to have an trip insurance on this kid, for medical reasons more than cancelation, which plan do I pick. Can I add him to my insurance?

My sons friend wants to go with us as well but he is 20. Do I still have to provide the same documentation?

Thanks in advance,

bychance

I know that you must be 25 or older to book a room but when someone is 18 or older they are considered an adult (even on a cruise). They need the same documentation as you do. (Passport/birth cert., photo ID) You do not need a letter from their parents giving you permission to take them on a cruise.

To the OP. I think that everyone on this thread has told you what you need. Here's you a checklist. (I've had to do this before and am doing it again in 5 days)

1- Notorized letter from parent, (print the one out that someone posted in the thread and you are good to go)

2- Copy of medical insurance card.

3- The childs birth cert., and photo ID

Keep these things with your things, I don't let the kids carry nothing but their S&S cards. Don't stress over it...if you know the child and his family then you know what type of person you are taking with you and you know if you can trust them. (I really don't think you would take them if you couldn't) Let them know the rules ahead of time and everything should be fine.

I know that I may get flamed for the last sentence...I know that things can go wrong, I only hope for the best and I face the problems when they arise. I don't waste my time thinking about all of the bad things that could happen...Life is too short to live that way. ;)

Archived