Kusadasi to Ephesus/Selcuk On Our Own?

Does anybody know if there are anytime or regularly scheduled buses or transfers from Kusadasi to the Ephesus ruins and the town of Selcuk and return to Kusadasi that we could take without signing on for a tour? We'd rather not rent a car or hire a taxi for the entire day and we'd like to be able to come and go pretty much on our own time without being restricted to a particular timetable. Any suggestions?

I had posted some detailed info on this topic a few weeks ago. Unless things have changed, the only public bus is the local bus (its actually a large van) that runs from the bus station (which is on the other side of town from the outdoor bazaar) along the road down below Eze. You have to get off at the small bus stop (a tiny kiosk) on the main road and than hike up about a mile to the entrance to the ruins. Keep in mind that the main entrance is at the top of the ruins (the furthest entrance from the main road) and than you walk downhill through the ruins and exit at the bottom. When you walk back to the main road you pick-up the return bus on the other side of the main road (there is another small kiosk). The fare used to be the $1 each way, but that was about 5 years ago.

Hank

I had posted some detailed info on this topic a few weeks ago. Unless things have changed, the only public bus is the local bus (its actually a large van) that runs from the bus station (which is on the other side of town from the outdoor bazaar) along the road down below Eze. You have to get off at the small bus stop (a tiny kiosk) on the main road and than hike up about a mile to the entrance to the ruins. Keep in mind that the main entrance is at the top of the ruins (the furthest entrance from the main road) and than you walk downhill through the ruins and exit at the bottom. When you walk back to the main road you pick-up the return bus on the other side of the main road (there is another small kiosk). The fare used to be the $1 each way, but that was about 5 years ago.

Hank

Hi, Hank-

Thanks for the input. Is the bus station and bazaar you refer to in Kusadasi or in Selcuk?

• 4 weeks later...
Has anybody else on the forum recently used public transportation between Kusadasi to the Ephesus ruins and/or to and from Selcuk?

We just returned from our Med cruise on the Rotterdam. Thanks to Hank (Hlitner) we were able to take public transportation from Kusadasi to Ephesus. I told Hank I'd report back on how it went.

Just as he said, you need to ask along the way in order to get to the correct "bus"/van. The Turkish people were so friendly and helpful, some even helped out without being asked. :)

It really added to our day to "go local" and have as much time in the ruins as we wanted.

Hi, Hank-

Thanks for the input. Is the bus station and bazaar you refer to in Kusadasi or in Selcuk?

I must have been drinking too much Vino (I think I was actually typing while on the phone) because my post made little sense. It had part of Kusadasi and part of Eze (in France). Just substitite the word "Kusadasi" for "Eze" and the post makes a little more sense :)

We just returned from our Med cruise on the Rotterdam. Thanks to Hank (Hlitner) we were able to take public transportation from Kusadasi to Ephesus. I told Hank I'd report back on how it went.

Just as he said, you need to ask along the way in order to get to the correct "bus"/van. The Turkish people were so friendly and helpful, some even helped out without being asked. :)

It really added to our day to "go local" and have as much time in the ruins as we wanted.

Glad to hear you folks made it! There is a very small list of folks that have used that bus to get to the ruins. It might be interesting for you to post your experience as a new thread. I (for one) would love to hear about your day.

Hank

Glad to hear you folks made it! There is a very small list of folks that have used that bus to get to the ruins. It might be interesting for you to post your experience as a new thread. I (for one) would love to hear about your day.

Hank

I'll try to do that! Just got home 2 nights ago, lots of catching up to do (as you know!)

There was another couple from our roll call on that bus too -- and neither of us knew that the others would be doing it. What a surprise to see each other and realize we'd both gotten the directions from you! Thanks again. :)

I visited Ephesus last year. Just a couple of pointers - there are two entrances, and I would suggest that if you take a dolmus or taxi from Kusadasi, that you ask to be dropped at the UPPER entrance, and walk down to be met at the LOWER entrance ........ that way you'll be walking with rather than against the flow.

Please stock up with water before you go - you'll need it - and sun cream and a HAT ......... there's very little shade.

If you venture in Selcuk, do see the Mosque and St John's Basilica (ruins). Don't fall for the spiel from the charming old man who has found a rare coin there last week/yesterday etc and would like to sell it to you!!

Next to the Mosque there is a charming restaurant and tea garden where you can enjoy a peaceful shady break.

Selcuk also has a great market, but I'm not sure which days in the week it operates.

Other local things are Mary's house - up in the hills, and the Camlik Steam Train museum. If you have your own transport, you might like to go inland beyond Selcuk to Sirince (approx 5 miles) which is a charming old village (and tourist tat central!!!).

Don't want to be a fear monger, but I think it was the local buses that there were bombings on and some tourists killed and injured in July 2005 in Katakolon. We were the last cruise ship in there that summer, others rerouted so keep your eyes open. we missed Ephesus that summer, so are looking at local tours this summer.

Don't want to be a fear monger, but I think it was the local buses that there were bombings on and some tourists killed and injured in July 2005 in Katakolon. We were the last cruise ship in there that summer, others rerouted so keep your eyes open. we missed Ephesus that summer, so are looking at local tours this summer.

Point well taken. I suggest you also avoid New York City (more than 3000 killed in 2001), Rome, London, Istanbul, Paris. In fact, you should also avoid the entire USA since in 2003 we had more than 42,000 fatalities on our roads. On the other hand, we have often enjoyed the warmth, and entreprenaurial attitude of the Turks and appreciate how they have long been a strong NATO ally. By the way, did you know that Turkey gave women the right to vote before England did the same and many years before Quebec (not sure what this has to do with anything, but its interesting).

Point well taken. I suggest you also avoid New York City (more than 3000 killed in 2001), Rome, London, Istanbul, Paris. In fact, you should also avoid the entire USA since in 2003 we had more than 42,000 fatalities on our roads. On the other hand, we have often enjoyed the warmth, and entreprenaurial attitude of the Turks and appreciate how they have long been a strong NATO ally. By the way, did you know that Turkey gave women the right to vote before England did the same and many years before Quebec (not sure what this has to do with anything, but its interesting).

I am sorry you seem to have misinterpreted what I was trying to say. We have travelled a lot, been in NYC, have friends who have been killed in the Trade Center. My husband helped the NYPD after 9-11. I am not saying don't travel, I am just saying keep your eyes open. We found the Turkish people to be very nice, but you need to be aware Anywhere.

Don't want to be a fear monger, but I think it was the local buses that there were bombings on and some tourists killed and injured in July 2005 in Katakolon.

Isn't Katakolon in Greece? :confused: How does this apply to Ephesus?

I am sorry you seem to have misinterpreted what I was trying to say. We have travelled a lot, been in NYC, have friends who have been killed in the Trade Center. My husband helped the NYPD after 9-11. I am not saying don't travel, I am just saying keep your eyes open. We found the Turkish people to be very nice, but you need to be aware Anywhere.

I agree its good to keep ones' eyes open when you go anywhere. But I find it interesting that our US Press (and often the State Department) choose to highlight a single incident and ignore the overall record. If we used this same test with our own country, we would have zero tourists. Last year my DW and I went to Egypt (on our own) for a wonderful 2 weeks in that country. Before we left, friends kept warning us about Luxor and the terrorism at that popular place. That particular incident happened more than 10 years ago, buts its still cited on many travel blogs. There have actually been many more terrorist related incidents in Spain (many caused by their Basque ETA group) than in Turkey, but you will seldom see anyone warn Americans not to go to Spain. Go figure.

Hank

Hank,

OUr friends also returned from Egypt in March and had a wonderful time. Travel opens our eyes to great experiences and people. I know sometimes the focus is too much on major incidents as you say. We have had great experiences many places and enjoy exploring on our own as well. I usually prefer to be off the beaten path.

Ps I noticed that we both seem to have had mental blocks about Kusadasi /Katakolon/Eze icon11.gificon7.gif

Archived