Aboard the Wind-turned around from Fanning

cdkempton

We've been turned around heading back to Kona due to an emergency medical situation so we will not be visiting Fanning Island. Don't know what the emergency was but it was serious enough not to med evacuate by chopter. So far we've been told that we will cruise tomorrow until Miami can arrange an alternate itinerary for us. I just hope they'll just cruise around for several days.................I love sea days. :D Bye for now :cool: Colette

Sorry to hear you will not be heading to Fanning Island. But, I do know that there is a legal limit how far the choppers can head out to retrieve an ill passenger. Lets all hope that the ship can turn around in time to get this passenger to a safe place. I am sure the rest of your cruise will be fun. We are like you....we LOVE sea days....but if you do end up with more time in the Hawaiian ports there will be lots of happy passengers. And, if you do not want to get off the ship....do what we did....pretend you are on your own private ship while everyone else is off and running around the ports!! We lived in our own private fantasy on those port days and had a blast!!

We've already decided that we'd do just that..stay on board and pretend we're at sea. We're not the type of folks to get all p.o'd over this sort of thing. We had brought all sorts of school supplies for the kids and then 3 soccer balls as well (when we were in Hilo) but the gals at the info desk graciously accepted them to forward them on the next trip. Apparently our emergency patient could not be taken off by choper due to the severity of the illness. He/she will be put off in Kona approxim. 3 am and we will continue for another sea day around the islands until a new itinerary is forwarded from Miami. Que Sera!!! Happy Sails.............Colette:)

We made it to Fanning Island our first trip but our second year we had to turn around because of the propulsion system problem. I feel bad for the sick person on your cruise, how horrible.

Make the best of it...sea days can be great too. Oh, but Fanning Island was a HUGE treat.

I was on the Sept 11 sailing and went to the little meeting with the captain where it was an open forumn and questions and such could be asked. Someone asked what happens in the event of an emergency? Captain replies...depending on where we are Coast Guard or sometimes a US navy ship can assit us by aiding the ill passenger. i think I recall he said something like 150 nautical miles...but that seems really far.. 1.15 nautical miles to a land mile..

Seems like a lot of different reasons not to go to the Fanning Islands
Unfortunately, there has to be a foreign stop. I don't think anyone would choose to go to Fanning Island if they didnt have to. It takes a lot of time.

Cecilia, I did in fact choose to go to Fanning Island on the Wind over the Pride of Aloha itinerary and that was before the POA moved to Hawaii and starting getting such bad reports. There are not many opportunities in life for most of us to be able to see and experience the things that Fanning Island has to offer if we are of moderate income. I found it an exceptional opportunity, enjoyed it completely, and would choose the Wind again over a Hawaii only itinerary if the cost was reasonable.

I agree with VT71...we chose the Wind because it DID have a stop at Fanning Island. We were on the Star last year and visited Fanning Island and were anxious to go back and see how things had changed. Also, we enjoy the island...the locals are delightful, the beach is beautiful and NCL puts together a very fun day on the island. And the trip down and back from Fanning is just a bunch of glorious sea days...which we love.

We plan to hit Fanning Island again on the Wind sometime next spring!!

I am cruising the Wind in December and am very much looking forward to Fanning Island. I will be very disappointed if we miss it. As for the 4 sea days to get there and back? Hey............eat, sleep and be lazy!!!!!!!!!!!:-)

Cecilia, I did in fact choose to go to Fanning Island on the Wind over the Pride of Aloha itinerary and that was before the POA moved to Hawaii and starting getting such bad reports.
OK. But if you read most of the things people say, they would rather spend the time in the islands than go to Fanning. If you chose that then it's a great opportunity for you to go there.

Professional malcontents will complain about Fanning Island because it's what they do - complain! But the vast majority may be of my persuasion in finding the Fanning Island experience uniquely enjoyable. When would I ever have the chance to visit a polynesian republic without winning the lottery? Perhaps it's time that Cecilia hear from those of us who are NOT complaining about NCL's sojourn to Fanning Island.

Perhaps it's time that Cecilia hear from those of us who are NOT complaining about NCL's sojourn to Fanning Island.
Yes! That would be great. I've never been to Fanning but I'd welcome the opportunity. If I wanted to see Hawaii without interruptions, I'd do a land tour. But if I wanted a cruise, I'd do the 10 day with the trip to Fanning Island. As it is, on my Hawaii cruise I saw Vancouver, Canada!

Oh, Cecilia, I just saw your wedding picture! Thanks so much for sharing with us!!! Has Jason ever been on a cruise?! You two make a beautiful couple (and you could sure see how happy you both were!!!!!).
Yes, Jason has been on one cruise. I took him to the Caribbean in January on RCI. We're next looking at a Med cruise for next summer.

Back to the original thought on this thread...looks like the Wind has been in Honolulu (according to the bridge cam) all day today....arriving a day early. It will be interesting to see what the revised itinerary became after the medical emergency onboard. Looking forward to the reviews!

We like others chose this itenerary because of Fanning Island. We thought the experience was fantastic and look forward to revisiting again.

The day their was wonderful as were the people. You will not experience this type of port anywhere else. We have cruised for 25 years around the world and have not.

Phil

Unfortunately, there has to be a foreign stop. I don't think anyone would choose to go to Fanning Island if they didnt have to. It takes a lot of time.

Hi Cecilia, We loved Fanning Island so much the first time, we booked it again for last March. We were VERY disappointed when on the way there, the captain announced we were turning around due to the propulsion system problems. It does take a lot of time to get there but what a great combination... sea days and then arriving at a far away island that most people will never experience. We highly recommend this itinerary, specifically this very special place! It is like walking into the pages of National Geographic.

O.K. now for the below. This is the first time I have used Webshots much less linked them here so I hope I did it right. But take a look at these cute kids on Fanning Island. O.K. well two of them are mine so I am a bit biased.

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingfrommn

Great photos! Thanks for sharing! We would definitely like to go back too! I really think for the price and number of days, the Wind is looking like the way to go!

Cecelia, we just did the Splendour in the Med. and really enjoyed it (though 7 days is a bit short), you could always stay pre- in Barcelona to stretch you trip because there is SO much to see. The 7 day is really reasonable! The only thing is that you'd miss Venice...so romatic! Just a thought.

Cecelia, we just did the Splendour in the Med. and really enjoyed it (though 7 days is a bit short), you could always stay pre- in Barcelona to stretch you trip because there is SO much to see. The 7 day is really reasonable! The only thing is that you'd miss Venice...so romatic! Just a thought.
RCI has a 12 or 14 day that we're looking into. Seven days is way tooooo short! I'm so jealous you just did that trip.

Archived