Anybody around from 1957 voyage

danbo

Just wondering if by chance anybody was onboard Hal's ss Waterman in March 1957. We were emigrants from Denmark who went from Rotterdam in Holland to Halifax Canada, we had a collision in the middle of the atlanic ocean, had to go back and start all over, finally made it to Vancouver after 20 days, so anybody remember? cheers Danbo

we were both 23 years old with a 11 months old son, i have pictures of the ship after the collision, but are not sure how to put it in from the computer, cheers

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I have been searching for information on this ship for years and have finally found it! I was a baby (six months old) when my parents brother and sister and I took this ship from Rotterdam to Halifax. I grew up looking at photos of the damage done to the ship. My mother in here latter years somehow lost them! I would love to hear your story and tell you the one my mother told me of the journey.

Hello,

I have been searching for information on this ship for years and have finally found it! I was a baby (six months old) when my parents brother and sister and I took this ship from Rotterdam to Halifax. I grew up looking at photos of the damage done to the ship. My mother in here latter years somehow lost them! I would love to hear your story and tell you the one my mother told me of the journey.

Thanks to everyone for the different links.

Since my parents (with me as an infant) also immigrated from Holland to Canada on a NASM ship, SS Leerdam, I find all of these stories fascinating.

Unfortunately, there is not much documentation on the ship that we sailed, so reading about the other ships will have to do.

Edited by OVgirl

Wow!

That brings back memories. In the summer of 1958, Zuiderkruis was used as a student ship. sailing from New York (actually New Jersey) to Rotterdam. It took 9 days to get there and was called, by passengers, the "World's Fastest Ship." I was aboard. It was my first taste of cruising. :)

It is interesting to get more of the details of this adventure that so many shared together. I am surprised to find others with the same interest. Does anyone know the actual date that we arrived in Halifax after transferring to the Zuiderkruis in Brest France? Also, how long did the journey take in total?

I would love to hear about other families. Where did you go when you arrived in Canada? We took the train to Edmonton Alberta.

I am really enjoying this thread as the SS Groote Beer, sister ship to SS Waterman was my first ship and first HAL voyage. Have loved being at sea ever since.

Pat (bobpatj) what a pleasure to discover that we have an experience in common. I sailed home from Rotterdam in Sept. 1960 on the student ship SS Groote Beer. Still have some of the daily papers put out by a group of students, and the decks of HAL playing cards we used to pass the time. I remember the wonderful library on the ship as well. We four young women shared a cabin below the waterline. The sloshing put me to sleep every night. Small toilet room and sink in the cabin. If you wanted a shower you made an appointment for the shower room down the hall.

What great memories!

Just wondering if by chance anybody was onboard Hal's ss Waterman in March 1957. We were emigrants from Denmark who went from Rotterdam in Holland to Halifax Canada, we had a collision in the middle of the atlanic ocean, had to go back and start all over, finally made it to Vancouver after 20 days, so anybody remember? cheers Danbo

I was a senior in high school in March, 1957

• 5 months later...

By coincidence I had an e-maail this morning from a fellow in Florida wwho sailed NY to Rotterdam in GROOTE BEER and then returned to NY in WATERMAN. He has asked me to make a painting of the two ships passing in mid North Atrlantic. When finished... around Christmas, I will post a photo of the completed piece.

Stephen

By coincidence I had an e-maail this morning from a fellow in Florida wwho sailed NY to Rotterdam in GROOTE BEER and then returned to NY in WATERMAN. He has asked me to make a painting of the two ships passing in mid North Atrlantic. When finished... around Christmas, I will post a photo of the completed piece.

Stephen

Since I have great memories of sailing on SS Groote Beer, I would love to see your completed piece and would be interested in a print if they are offered for sale.

I have enjoyed your paintings on each HAL cruise I have taken.

I am so happy to hear back from the post i wrote in 2008 and find others there was onboard in 1957 and also thank you for the pictures of the collision, we are now retired and live in North Vancouver, Borge

my mother told me about the collision with the other ship and the journey they made to vancouver...i was only about 6 months old i think and mom and dad were early 20s.

i found tickets and pictures of all of it which got me interested to check things out.

my father has since passed but my mother is still alive and we talked about it.

i live in 100 mile house bc...about 500 kms north of vancouver.

there is another family that lives here in 100 mile house that became very good friends of my parents in which they met on the waterman also.theyve been friends for 55 years