Trays at the Buffet

Jolynn2262

I have always wondered if Princess does not provide trays at the buffet to actually stop the practice of taking full meals back to your stateroom? Just a thought.

They won't stop you from doing it, but no trays would be a deterrent for those that think it would be a good idea.

We have always found the platters to be great and much better than a lot of smaller plates at the buffet. It kept the buffet from looking like a cafeteria to me.

I read on some other thread that some cruise lines were getting rid of trays in the buffets to lessen the likelihood of norovirus outbreaks. I do not understand the connection, myself, but that was the reason given to some passengers. It may also lessen congestion, discourage people from taking more than they would eat, and reduce use of water (less to wash). I find the lack of trays annoying--I do like to get all my courses at once then just sit down for the entire meal--but its a pretty minor annoyance and won't discourage me from going to the buffet.

I have always wondered if Princess does not provide trays at the buffet to actually stop the practice of taking full meals back to your stateroom? Just a thought.

They won't stop you from doing it, but no trays would be a deterrent for those that think it would be a good idea.

We have always found the platters to be great and much better than a lot of smaller plates at the buffet. It kept the buffet from looking like a cafeteria to me.

I'm right there with you...I like the platters over smaller plates at the buffet. Also like your idea of ordering room service and asking to keep the tray. We often bring food back, especially breakfast and pizza, to our balcony cabin. If you place the drink on the platter, a little lurch pressing elevator buttons or opening your cabin door and the drink can slosh a bit over on your food. The tray would help but I would have to remember to take it.:D

Speaking of sloshing over...we are very careful to not spill when we carry food back to our cabin. Everyone else I've seen carrying food have also been careful not to spill.

When you dine in the dining room do you ask the waiter to bring all of your courses at the samwe time? If this is the norm for some then they should have trays - but - I think if the waiter brought everything at once I think you would complain.

Ron

But you don't have to get up and ask the waiter to bring you your next course either. In my opinion, trying to pace your meal in the buffet as if it were in the dining room makes for a very disjointed experience. You'd be getting up every few minutes to get something.

But you don't have to get up and ask the waiter to bring you your next course either. In my opinion, trying to pace your meal in the buffet as if it were in the dining room makes for a very disjointed experience. You'd be getting up every few minutes to get something.

Perhaps this is why they have so many dining rooms!!

Ron

Will a tray fit in the new luggage that everyone received over the last few months? :D

It may also lessen congestion, discourage people from taking more than they would eat, and reduce use of water (less to wash).

I suspect the elimination of the trays they used to have was another cost savings measure:

a) No need to buy trays

b) No need to clean trays

c) No personnel needed to make sure trays were available for the line

d) No need to store trays

We prefer having breakfast in the cabin (rather than schlepping the entire family to the buffet or dining room), especially on busy port mornings, but the menu is limited...even in a full suite. A tray would be nice for bringing items back to the cabin, but we get around this by ordering our juice, coffee, fruit, bagels, toast, and cereal/milk from room service; that way, I only need to carry back a few items, and the platters are fine.

Thank you. Good to know. I still might bring one. I'm thinking of silverware and drinks and such plus the platter. It can be too much.

Learned a trick from cc.

Use another plate to cover your goodies for the trek back to the cabin. I usually have pockets so thats where the napkin with silverware went. Also have my bevie in the room already....

We prefer having breakfast in the cabin (rather than schlepping the entire family to the buffet or dining room), especially on busy port mornings, but the menu is limited...even in a full suite. A tray would be nice for bringing items back to the cabin, but we get around this by ordering our juice, coffee, fruit, bagels, toast, and cereal/milk from room service; that way, I only need to carry back a few items, and the platters are fine.

Remember when booking a full suite. If you don't see it listed, just write it in. We have never been refused anything written in on the expanded breakfast menu card in a sull suite. ;)

Whatever. You questioned if you'd get funny looks and I would think a large tray filled with plates, drink glasses and anything else would get you funny looks - especially when it's all available in a lovely atmosphere in Horizon Court and room service is on hand to deliver food to your room. I've seen people take food on platters back to their rooms, I would say hauling a tray with multiple plates would be outside the norm. Here's hoping you have calm seas.

To the OP, ignore bdjam... you'll be fine. I've seen people do it and who cares anyway? I've brought back fruit tarts and milk on one of those huge platters and sure wished I had a tray instead, as it would've been lighter weight. Also, I think there may be a tray in your room with bottled water sitting on it. (btw, the water is NOT free!) Anyway, like you said, a tray is flat and light weight, so go ahead and bring one along!!

The ship gets a lot of their food supplies in plastic 5 gallon buckets - perhaps one could ask for one of these and use it at the buffet.

Ron

Interesting how people find it so easy to be rude when they're not talking face to face.

I suspect the elimination of the trays they used to have was another cost savings measure:

a) No need to buy trays

b) No need to clean trays

c) No personnel needed to make sure trays were available for the line

d) No need to store trays

I agree with this. Also, the trays would have to be thoroughly cleaned every time they're used in order to prevent the spread of norovirus or any other kind of virus. Anyone getting a cold, for instance, would handle the tray and possibly spread the cold if it weren't cleaned and disinfected. The plates are all put through a super hot rinse cycle before they're re-used.

MOST people using the buffet don't need or want a tray. I remember the "old" days when you took a tray and loaded it in the buffet. It was always a problem with what to do with the tray when you got to the table. Did you eat off the tray, remove everything and put it on the table and then put the tray somewhere?, etc. HAL still has trays and it was always a hassle to find somewhere to put the tray unless you wanted to eat off the tray. To me, they're more bother than help.

Actually, the walk back and forth is very needed and necessary......in the buffet area, especially!

I know it's partly the reason why the area always seems so congested (especially on sea days) but I still like it.

My DH has a difficult time walking so trays are a good idea for him.....I'm the "gopher" girl when he wants something else or more!!!!!

I am thinking about taking a fold-up wheelbarrow on my cruise to bring back goodies to my room. Do yall think its worth that?

Absolultely! Be sure to strap it to your wheelaboard beer cooler! :p

Want: It depends on the cruiseline.....PRINCESS DOES NOT USE TRAYS!!!!!

Your DH sounds like mine.....he swears he saw "Movies Under the Stars" on the Diamond.......I say okay! You're right dear!!!!

Then, the next time we're on the Diamond......I just smile, as he goes around looking for the MUTS!!!!!!!

You'll do the same when he's looking for the trays on your next Princess cruise!!!!!! ;)

Want: It depends on the cruiseline.....PRINCESS DOES NOT USE TRAYS!!!!!

Your DH sounds like mine.....he swears he saw "Movies Under the Stars" on the Diamond.......I say okay! You're right dear!!!!

Then, the next time we're on the Diamond......I just smile, as he goes around looking for the MUTS!!!!!!!

You'll do the same when he's looking for the trays on your next Princess cruise!!!!!! ;)

It in our genes. We can't help it. Please take pity on us :eek:

Archived