Question About Dress Code-4 Day Wonder

GTO-Girl

Please forgive me if this has been answered 100 times but my husband wanted me to find out this specific information.

I see in my information that we have 2 nights of "cruise casual" which I know this could be khaki's and a golf shirt. (right?)

My question is this....one night it says the men will need to wear a "jacket". Does this mean sports coat AND tie or is it acceptable to wear sports coat and open collar shirt or turtleneck shirt?

Also for the pirate party....if we're notgoing to be "pirates" would the dress cruise casual again?

We just want to be sure we're dressed appropiately...

Thanks

Dianne

I just got off a 4-day Wonder and never saw anyone with a jacket, much less a tie, even in Palo. Where did you see that men need a jacket? The only real restriction I was ever told of was that they ask that there be no shorts or jeans worn to Palo.

I think 'cruise casual' can be anything nicer than a swimsuit or gym clothes, personally. I overdressed. If I do one again, I'll stick with capris or skorts and a top and skip the skirts and dresses. For the men, I think khakis and a golf shirt would be fine, and would be even toward the dressier end of 'cruise casual'. The pirate party is on deck and I think anything goes there.

Thanks for your info.

I found the information on the dress code either online or in my mailed info, I can't remember which one and it specifically said one night would be jackets for men and dresses or pant suits for the ladies.

My husband would be "lovin it" if he did not have to drag a jacket, but he's paranoid about not being dressed as required. Because of this I have got to make absolutely sure that cruise casual and no jacket is okay.

We had a "situtation" on our last cruise. We cruised on a line we had never been on before. On other cruises my husband had gotten away with the "no jacket", even on formal night. Well you guessed it....everyone was really "dressed" so we never went to the dining room for formal night. He was really embarrassed he had not brought the proper clothes and ever since then he's driving me crazy about this upcoming 4-day.

Dianne

On the 4 night there are two nights of cruise casual, one semi-formal, and one pirate night.

Cruise casual basically means no shorts. I usually wear khaki's and polo shirts. Some people wear jeans and t-shirts. It varies greatly. Kids are often seen in shorts. There's been many a debate on what is and isn't acceptable. In the end, what makes you comfortable is what you should wear.

Pirate night is either pirate attire or cruise casual. My wife and daughter tend to dress up, but I am boring and put in a nice floral button-down shirt and khakis.

Semi-formal is interesting. Some people interpret this to be a full suit, tie, etc. I have seen people continue to wear cruise casual. I wear a dress shirt with tie, khakis, no jacket. This will be the night you see the biggest range of clothing.

Jim

On the Wonder, there was no mention of 'semi-formal' that I ever saw but the Navigator one night did say it was 'dress up night'. We weren't sure what that meant and asked our waiter. He said 'You wear whatever you want, every night, there is no formal night or attire rules, seriously.' He was adamant.

I thought the wording 'dress up night' sounded more like something for the kids-- like a night for the girls to wear their princess attire.

thanks for the clarification. I always just assumed it was semi-formal not "dress up". :)

On formal night on the Magic we definitely got dressed up. I wore my suit and my wife and daughter wore formal dresses. But we enjoy getting dressed up as we don't often get to.

From the DCL website:

On 3-night cruises:

• First night: cruise casual — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
  • Second night: pirate or tropical deck party
  • Final night: "dress-up night" — jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women

On 4-night cruises:

• One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
  • One "dress-up night" — jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
  • Final night: cruise casual — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops

On 7-night cruises:

• Three additional "cruise casual" nights — no shorts, swimwear or tank tops
  • One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
  • One formal and one semi-formal night — formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for women: gown or dress; semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket; for women: dress or pantsuit.

Dress for dinner at Palo on all cruises:

• Men: dress shirt or jacket
  • Women: dress or pantsuit

Jim

I just returned from a 3 night Wonder cruise which sailed on 5/15. The "formal" night was called "optional formal" on the activity sheet for that day.

I did not see any ties....some guys like myself wore slacks and a long sleeve shirt with no tie.

I'm thinking from everybody's answers that my husband will be okay with golf shirts & khaki's, but I'm going to let him read these responses and make up his own mind.

Thanks everybody!!

Dianne

• 1 month later...

Been on the Magic twice. Both times rented a Tux because we were celebrating special occasions, anniv. etc. Saw many different versions of Dress up and Cruise casual. Not many tux's. The night I was in a Tux at Palo's, there was a guy in Green polyester pants w/Gecko's on them. The Staff never says anything to anyone unless your in shorts or swimwear.

The answer to your dress up delimma is no worries - Disney just want to make sure you are enjoying yourself so that you will come back and sail with them again. The one night that we will most likely dress up for is meeting the Captain - We have been on several Disney cruises and have not seen anyone come to dinner in their swim suit or shorts. I would have loved to seen the green polyester guy!:eek:

Our August '07 4-night cruise had two "cruise casual", one "dress up" and one "pirate" night. One of our casual nights we went to Palo with our travel mates and the men wore dress shirts with ties but no jackets. They certainly fit in just fine and we didn't have to lug jackets for just one evening!

My advice is to pack stuff you feel "dressier than normal and lookin' good" in--that doesn't wrinkle! And let me take this moment to praise Downy's Wrinkle Release spray! :cool: That stuff ROCKS!

mk

The answer to your dress up delimma is no worries - Disney just want to make sure you are enjoying yourself so that you will come back and sail with them again. The one night that we will most likely dress up for is meeting the Captain - We have been on several Disney cruises and have not seen anyone come to dinner in their swim suit or shorts. I would have loved to seen the green polyester guy!:eek:

I think I'm glad I didn't see him, lol!

We saw people turned away from the dining room on formal night on DCL, they were in rumpled shorts and t-shirts--the guy had one of those "tuxedo" t-shirts on, so I don't think it was a case of lost luggage, but rather misplaced brain cells. It was years ago but I'll never forget it. They also seemed rather toxindicated--a few too many foofoo drinks around the pool maybe?

We also saw a couple show up to Palo's with a stroller containing a toddler who were turned away. What in the world do some people think?

Palo's is more relaxed now about their dress code, though I think they would prefer men to wear jackets. Very strict though on the over 18 policy. Last year I tried to include my 17 year old son (who looked 21 at the time) with our reservation and was told no way. This year he got to go the first time after 6 cruises.

BTW, other than Palos, dress in the other dining rooms on Wonder very casual every night.

Palo's is more relaxed now about their dress code, though I think they would prefer men to wear jackets. Very strict though on the over 18 policy. Last year I tried to include my 17 year old son (who looked 21 at the time) with our reservation and was told no way. This year he got to go the first time after 6 cruises.

BTW, other than Palos, dress in the other dining rooms on Wonder very casual every night.

I think that DCL's militant 'no under 18 in the adult only areas' is their saving grace for kidless people like me.

I think that DCL's militant 'no under 18 in the adult only areas' is their saving grace for kidless people like me.

I have no problem with it. Kid was disapointed but I understand it. If they let in the 17 year old, they have to let in the 16 year old and then its strollers and highchairs and just general chaos.:D

• 4 years later...

DH wondering if he can wear "nice" jeans and a jacket in the dining room on our 4- day Disney cruise. Have heard all cruise casual and also one semi- formal night. Help :)

Been on the Magic twice. Both times rented a Tux because we were celebrating special occasions, anniv. etc. Saw many different versions of Dress up and Cruise casual. Not many tux's. The night I was in a Tux at Palo's, there was a guy in Green polyester pants w/Gecko's on them. The Staff never says anything to anyone unless your in shorts or swimwear.

DH wondering if he can wear "nice" jeans and a jacket in the dining room on our 4- day Disney cruise. Have heard all cruise casual and also one semi- formal night. Help :)

Unless you are going to Palo or Remy, jeans are okay. They ask that you don't wear shorts, but a lot of people ignore that too. A lot of folks wear jeans even on the "formal" nights. Nobody from Disney is going to say anything.

As the PP's have mentioned, it's really a casual environment. We haven't eaten at Palo since our 2nd cruise, and at that time, my husband was told he had to wear his jacket. (He had brought it with him, but didn't have it on.) However, as you've seen here, and as I've heard from other recent cruisers, that is, apparently, relaxing a bit. (As an aside...has anyone heard the same about Remy's??)

Echoing a PP...do what makes you comfortable. My husband and I don't get a lot of chances to "dress to the nines" in our everyday lives, so we really enjoy the "dress up" chances we get on board. Are we over dressed compared to other cruisers? Maybe, but we're comfortable, we've got some beautiful pictures, and as my husband likes to say... "we make this #$^% look good!" :D

This is YOUR vacation. If your husband wants to forego the tie and jacket, leave 'em at home! He'll be fine.

Archived