Considering a cruise on the Holiday...

jmaze

Sorry for being late getting back to you.:o For the WOW!!! facter I would go on the Fantasy especially if going after the refurb in Oct. For the pure enjoyment of food and service I would choose the Holiday. I love them all but prefer the smaller ships. That being said I did take my grandsons on the Celebration the sister ship of Holiday and they were thrilled.:) I just changed my resv. on the Holiday to a B2B can't wait.:D I will be glad to answer any Questions if I can;)

Hey Squidly, I see you have been on the Fantasy and the Holiday. The Fantasty is just a couple of hours further from us and going to the same place, which one did you like more? After doing some checking last night I narrowed it down to these two ships. I like the close proximity of the Holiday but if the Fantasy is much better (and I understand it is getting it makeover this fall) then I don't mind a bit of an extra drive.:)

The Fantasy, like The Holiday, is a great ship with it's own unique features and feel. I'm not sure I was overly impressed with the atrium or larger size but we had a great time on her.

My favorite thing about the Fantasy is she sails down the Mississippi River for about 8 hours before reaching the Gulf. Way cool to stand on the deck and watch the shore go by.

My friends and I went on the Holiday in '06, The Fantasy in '07 and we all voted to sail The Holiday again this year. I think we're back on Holiday for a change of pace as well as we all seem to prefer the smaller ship!

We'll probably be back on the Fantasy in '08. We knew about the refurbishment this year and actually could have done one of the first Fantasy cruises after dry dock, but again...we wanted to sail the Holiday this year.

I wish I had more options but I like to stick close to the ports of N.O. and Mobile as we can easily drive to both. I am looking closely at the cruises out of Miami, though, as they have some really neat ports of call!

Happy Cruising!

Donna

I would never recommend the Holiday. I just don't understand why people will settle when there are so many options available.......but they do.

Could be the reason why they don't resolve the problems.......

Simply put: Value.

My wife and I booked an oceanview room on the 5 night cruise for under $450 pp all inclusive. That's even during the peak summer season.

I have no problem booking another ship. In fact, I challenge anyone to find me an oceanview room during the last 2 weeks of Aug, 2008 where I will pay $90 per night per person. I would honestly consider cancelling, and rebooking. Perhaps your searching skills are better than mine.

Simply put: Value.

My wife and I booked an oceanview room on the 5 night cruise for under $450 pp all inclusive. That's even during the peak summer season.

I have no problem booking another ship. In fact, I challenge anyone to find me an oceanview room during the last 2 weeks of Aug, 2008 where I will pay $90 per night per person. I would honestly consider cancelling, and rebooking. Perhaps your searching skills are better than mine.

Holiday is all inclusive:confused:

Well, it depends on how you define "all inclusive". I know what he means. Like any Carnival ship, you can eat and drink all of the included food and beverage items for no extra charge. There are also many included amenities, activities, and entertainment. Basic food, drinks, amenities, and entertainment are included.

You can step off the ship without paying a dime above the cruise fare, port and government fees, taxes, and tips (and even tips can be removed). Even at resorts that bill themselves as "AI", there are optional non-included items that are extra.

Well, it depends on how you define "all inclusive". I know what he means. Like any Carnival ship, you can eat and drink all of the included food and beverage items for no extra charge. There are also many included amenities, activities, and entertainment. Basic food, drinks, amenities, and entertainment are included.

You can step off the ship without paying a dime above the cruise fare, port and government fees, taxes, and tips (and even tips can be removed). Even at resorts that bill themselves as "AI", there are optional non-included items that are extra.

I know it is not all inclusive I was being sarcastic;)

You still haven't answered the call for options, however.

Both of us have mentioned looking for a cruise for $90 a day, (mine including single supplement) the last two weeks of August.

Have you found it?

Sarcasm or not, I'll bet you haven't and just want to beat on those of us who choose Holiday for value because we choose Holiday, period.

Hey Jmaze,

I don't know which itinerary that you chose for the HOLIDAY. The Progreso stop is more original Mexico, but the water isn't clear enough for good snorkeling. It is a neat port with lots of different things to do.

Playa Del Carmen is a neat port, as well and has some gorgeous beaches, good shopping and several good tours.

If I wanted a great beach trip, I would pick the Cozumel and Calica trip. If I wanted to sightsee and loaf one day, I would head for Progreso. All three ports can be a ball.

Both ships, the Fantasy or Holiday will give you a great cruise.

Both of us have mentioned looking for a cruise for $90 a day, (mine including single supplement) the last two weeks of August.

Have you found it?

Sarcasm or not, I'll bet you haven't and just want to beat on those of us who choose Holiday for value because we choose Holiday, period.

oops

Have you found it?

I was just trying to understand why people would choose to settle with the Holiday when there are many many more options out there.

You answered my question. Which would be because it is dirt cheap.

That's understandable. ;)

Have you found it?

And, I never found out what a "cool aid drinker" was and find it funny that he doesn't "put down" Holiday lovers but "sarcasm" is a perfectly acceptable reply to a post. And, I don't get a response since I'm one of the Holiday lovers that IS open to options, HAS sailed other ships, one of them being the Fantasy and STILL loves the Holiday. Hard to make fun of or disparage logic, I guess. Ah, yes, it's wonderful that we can all post our own opinions. It's just that some do it in a much nicer fashion than others.

Donna

Sorry, I was just getting frustrated. I'd posted earlier that I chose it for the price and so did Toddcan.

I'm going on Conquest in July, Triumph in January, and was just trying to find a filler. (I'm horribly addicted) So obviously I'm willing to try any class, size, age, etc. of ships. The only reason I keep choosing Carnival is for the 1A cabins AND the progression to platinum.

The price for the Holiday just couldn't be beat.

I'll admit that's the reason I chose this cruise, and paying a single supplement kills me, so I'm happy.

Now I just have to deal with the thrills of flying standby into Mobile in August. ;)

And, I never found out what a "cool aid drinker" was and find it funny that he doesn't "put down" Holiday lovers but "sarcasm" is a perfectly acceptable reply to a post. And, I don't get a response since I'm one of the Holiday lovers that IS open to options, HAS sailed other ships, one of them being the Fantasy and STILL loves the Holiday. Hard to make fun of or disparage logic, I guess. Ah, yes, it's wonderful that we can all post our own opinions. It's just that some do it in a much nicer fashion than others.

Donna

If you were referring to me, I was being sarcastic to the post about the ship being all inclusive. I have never called anyone names;)

Not to state the obvious, but you asked..... all inclusive of taxes, fees, surcharges. :eek:

I never said the ship itself was all inclusive. Just the $450 price I quoted you.

[quote name='Kurbanfan']If you were referring to me, I was being sarcastic to the post about the ship being [B]all inclusive[/B]. I have never called anyone names;)[/quote]

[B]sar·casm[/B] // [URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/help/audio.html"][COLOR=#0000ff]Audio Help[/COLOR][/URL] (sär'kāz'əm) [URL="http://cache.lexico.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html"][COLOR=#0000ff]Pronunciation Key[/COLOR][/URL] n.
[LIST=1]<LI minmax_bound="true">A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
[*]A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.[/LIST][COLOR=royalblue][B]I know exactly what you meant and did. And, you still haven't told me what a "cool aid drinker" is or has to do with liking the Holiday.[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue][B]Donna[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue][/COLOR]

[quote name='Magic City Cruiser'][B]sar·casm[/B] // [URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/help/audio.html"][COLOR=#0000ff]Audio Help[/COLOR][/URL] (sär'kāz'əm) [URL="http://cache.lexico.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html"][COLOR=#0000ff]Pronunciation Key[/COLOR][/URL] n.
[LIST=1]
[*]<LI minmax_bound="true">A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
[*]A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.[/LIST][COLOR=royalblue][B]I know exactly what you meant and did. And, you still haven't told me what a "cool aid drinker" is or has to do with liking the Holiday.[/B][/COLOR]
[/quote]

[I]I admitted[/I] to being sarcastic [I]at the all inclusive remark[/I].
Once again[I] [B]I[/B][/I][I][B] am not the one that posted "cool aid drinker"[/B] [/I]You might want to go back and read the posts before jumping to conclusions my friend:rolleyes:

[quote name='Magic City Cruiser'][B]sar·casm[/B] // [URL="http://dictionary.reference.com/help/audio.html"][COLOR=#0000ff]Audio Help[/COLOR][/URL] (sär'kāz'əm) [URL="http://cache.lexico.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html"][COLOR=#0000ff]Pronunciation Key[/COLOR][/URL] n.
[LIST=1]
[*]<LI minmax_bound="true">A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
[/quote]

Cool aid drinkers is a not so subtle reference to the folks of Jonestown who all commited mass suicide by drinking cyanide laced cool aid in their blind loyalty to Jim Jones. Evidently the Holiday has a cult like following.

Here's me and The Little Woman with the Holiday in the background. . . as you can see, that's NOT little!! Granted, she's not one of those gargantuan monstrosities the size of a mid-sized city, but that still a large vessel! Enjoy yourself -- she's a lovely, much-loved, lady!
[IMG]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/JayDeeJay/b.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='WayTooCool']Here's me and The Little Woman with the Holiday in the background. . . as you can see, that's NOT little!! Granted, she's not one of those gargantuan monstrosities the size of a mid-sized city, but that still a large vessel! Enjoy yourself -- she's a lovely, much-loved, lady!
[/quote]

LOL! Good point. We were still amazed at the size of her, even after having cruised on the Conquest. Nice picture!

[quote name='Magic City Cruiser'][B][COLOR=royalblue]If you're not putting down the folks who like the Holiday, what in the world is a "cool aid" drinker?[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#4169e1]Donna[/COLOR][/B][/quote]

Cool aid drinkers are people who can't see past their blind loyalty of a person, item or thought and see that there are issues. Sorry for the late response been busy.

[quote name='futaba951']Cool aid drinkers is a not so subtle reference to the folks of Jonestown who all commited mass suicide by drinking cyanide laced cool aid in their blind loyalty to Jim Jones. Evidently the Holiday has a cult like following.[/quote]

[COLOR=royalblue][B]Oh, my goodness! And, I don't even LIKE Kool aid! [/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue][B]My apologies, Kurban, you weren't the cool aid man. However, sarcasm should never be used least one hopes to offend.[/B][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=#4169e1]And, now that I have listed, ad nausem, WHY I like the Holiday, does it make ANY sense to you now, Kurban?!;) [/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#4169e1]Donna[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/B]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='KimtheCruiser']I realize that looks like a contradiction - in 2006, the boys were in U215 on the back - in 2007, the boys were in U1 on the front -

Older prefers the back - younger wants to try midship -[/quote]

I will be in the aft cabin in a couple of weeks. After seeing some pictures, I'm concerned about some noise when the ship docks, but overall I think it is going to be a great cabin. My first time on the Holiday I was in R3 and it was very noisy.

[quote name='VolzCruiser']Cool aid drinkers are people who can't see past their blind loyalty of a person, item or thought and see that there are issues. Sorry for the late response been busy.[/quote]

yep.Those that buy into whatever they have been told, sheep...:mad:

Archived