Dunn River Falls - Safety?

soontobecc

My fiance and I are cruising aboard the Mariner this August for our honeymoon and were considering climbing the falls as one of our excursions in Ocho Rios. However, the health insurance through his job does not kick in until November so we both have really basic temporary coverage right now. We decided that it probably would be better to skip climbing the falls because in the event one of us were to fall and suffer a serious injury, we could be stuck with thousands of dollars in out of pocket medical expenses - not exactly the way we want to start off our marriage!

We don't want to make any final decisions without research though - so for those of you who have climbed the falls, how safe is it? I've read a few posts on here that talked about how slippery it was but I haven't read any posts about people falling off and injuring themselves. Do you think we would be okay if we went ahead with the climb, or should we not chance it and pick something with a little less risk factor?

I know that one of us could get hurt anywhere, anytime but I'm thinking it would be smart to avoid activities that are especially open to accidents occuring :)

Thanks for the advice!

We did not climb the falls as my mother who was 70 at the time was with us. Before we went I had researched and found that there are almost daily reports of people falling or getting cuts that become infected. We decided not to risk it ourselves. We did go to the falls on our tour with Marva Shaw and just walked along side and saw them. They are beautiful, but if I were you with only minimal coverage I wouldn't risk it. Have you looked into travel insurance to suppliment what coverage you do have? That way you could climb and not have to worry so much about taking the risks!

My fiance and I are cruising aboard the Mariner this August for our honeymoon and were considering climbing the falls as one of our excursions in Ocho Rios. However, the health insurance through his job does not kick in until November so we both have really basic temporary coverage right now. We decided that it probably would be better to skip climbing the falls because in the event one of us were to fall and suffer a serious injury, we could be stuck with thousands of dollars in out of pocket medical expenses - not exactly the way we want to start off our marriage!

We don't want to make any final decisions without research though - so for those of you who have climbed the falls, how safe is it? I've read a few posts on here that talked about how slippery it was but I haven't read any posts about people falling off and injuring themselves. Do you think we would be okay if we went ahead with the climb, or should we not chance it and pick something with a little less risk factor?

I know that one of us could get hurt anywhere, anytime but I'm thinking it would be smart to avoid activities that are especially open to accidents occuring :)

Thanks for the advice!

You could slip & fall while walking on the lido deck - with that same basic insurance.

Consider your physical abilities and make the decision from there. If you are a able-bodied couple you'll have no problem climbing.

As a person who's done the falls and would do it again in a hearbeat :) , i really think you are "jipping" yourself from having what could be a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

Let me tell you, we had a chain of about 40 people, and only one of them slipped, and was more embarassed than hurt, if hurt at all. Granted, i'd much rather do the falls without holding on to other people, as this is sometimes part of the reason people do slip. But we took the people's advice and bought some cheap Walmart watershoes, and it ended up being the highlight of our 7 day cruise, HANDS DOWN!

Tip: if you do it, and plan to buy the video they take of you're group that they sell ($40 when we went), barter them down, or don't buy it. I don't think it was worth $40.

Thanks for the advice!

After looking over our insurance coverage a bit more and hearing feedback on the boards - we've decided to go ahead with the climb :) We'll definitely buy water shoes and we always have the option to climb along the side - but I think we'll be okay. We are young and in good shape! We're also planning to go with another couple from our meet & mingle group, so that should be a lot of fun! I definitely think we'll regret it if we don't - we are moving to Alaska after the wedding and it might be hard to get back down to Florida to take another cruise to Jamaica with airfare these days.

Thanks again :)

It’s a nice tour, but extremely dangerous indeed. All people visiting the falls, which is more like a spring, are required to wear a full covering shoe. Although shoes might make you feel more comfy and safe, it’s far from that.

I went about 2 years ago, and on that same day someone fell and broke their arm. And as I recall my experience is that standing on algae incrusted rocks in about 50 degree and below spring water is more a chore then to witnesses someone doing from afar. You must always try to keep one foot underneath for balance, don’t rush or go too fast and always look before stepping on or down into deep water.

Positive, it was beautiful water and starts on the beach. The falls empty onto a beach and into the sea, the starting point of your adventure.

On the right hand side of the falls is more of a challenge to get up and over. More like a stair way cut in the rocks, defiantly not for the elderly or the poor athlete, go to the left real stair way.

And yes, we all and anyone can get hurt doing pretty much anything. It is why 80% of the injuries happen in the home, because you’re always there. Its why driving your car is more dangerous then flying in a plane, because we spend more time driving then flying. Well, most of us I guess. But just try and have a good time overall, it’s what a cruise or life is all about to begin with. Having to go threw life at a slow or dull pace only makes one want to reflect back to what have could have been. Although it doesn’t mean one should be daring, safety is always the “fun” way to do it sorry I work for UPS lol!

We've climbed the falls, when in our late fifties, and I'd do it again at 63, BUT it does have some danger involved; I'd say it's moderately difficult; the rocks are very slick in places, there is rushing water, different levels of roughness and ups and downs. You can't really fall 'off', like off a cliff, but you certainly can fall down, and the rocks are hard and sharp.

We saw two people back at the ship with major bruises/cuts from falls and our guide told us that broken bones are a common daily occurance.

However, thousands of people climb with no mishaps at all, including us; you have to make the judgement considering your insurance status at the time, your physical abilities and tolerance for a little danger.

For us, we are willing to accept the relatively small drisk of such an excursion in return for the fun. Accidents can happen anywhere, and I'd rather dare a little and have some great experiences to look back on, but each person has to make their own decision on things like this.

I went in 2005 and although I went, I did not climb the falls. Years of waitressing and twisting my ankle as a cheerleader has not been kind to my knees and ankles, lol. I heard they are slippery but as long as you keep your balance ok, I wouldn't worry about falling. I saw a bunch of kids climbing them.

My advice, don't kick yourself later saying "I wish we would have done that". You only get on honeymoon.

We climbed the falls last December, and had a good time. We didn't go with a tour group, stayed away from the crowds. My husband had broken his ankle and had to get surgery on it the week before we climbed the falls... and he climbed them, with no problem! Just take your time, and u should be fine!

Thanks for the advice!

Climbing the falls is fun and adventurous. There is some risk of slipping and falling is real as there are a few places where the rocks are really slick. My personal view is that the steeper parts look scary but you have less chance of falling there as you really paying attention and holding on to the human chain. I think your greatest risk is on the flatter portion where your guard is down and you lose your balance and fail to recover and put out your arm on another slick surface :eek:

Unless you are really clumsy and or in very poor physical condition its a very doable adventure. I remember seeing people clearly in their 50's doing it and I felt comfortable enough letting my 9 year old go as well.

I've climbed dozens of times and always felt safer on my own rather than holding hands with people who might not exactly be ballerinas. The locals try to tell you that its mandatory to climb with a group... smile and continue on by yourself (they are hoping for tips when finished).

Bring a waterproof camera and a waterproof fanny pack - (LL Bean used to sell them) - they roll up and keep out 99.9% of the water. Keep your cash, etc in there.

The hardest part of the falls is the 1st 100 feet. If you stay to the left its easier but thr right is awesome... a stone stairway that you can't see... only feel on your way up under the deluge of water. Once you go under the bridge it gets much easier.

One advantage to the locals is that they know some cool spots.. one where you can stand, fall backwards into a very small pool but never hit bottom. Gotta trust 'em!! Another is where you can stand and rest your head against a rock and the water flowing over your head becomes like a veil. You can still do these when outside of a group.. watch where they stop and you'll see the cameras come out.

Having climbed the falls and led groups that have climbed the falls over quite a number of years I can tell you that literally hundereds of people do it every day without serious incident. Yes, there are injuries from time-to-time, but as someone else said, you could slip and fall while walking on the Lido deck or taking part in some other shipboard activity. If you should be injured at the falls to the entent that immediate medical attention was required, you would find yourslf at the St. Ann's Bay Hospital in St. Ann's Bay - about 10 miles away. There, you would receive good, though not necessarily 'high-tech' basic medical care (xray, set a broken arm, etc.). Given that the Jamiacian medical system is 'socialized" (government run) your regular insurance policy would likely not be applicable, but I think you would find that the payment requested would be relatively modest.

Beyond the question at hand, when you board a cruise ship and take part in shore activities in any 'third-world' location, you automatically leave behind the high-tech medical care system that we take for granted. Few people give it any thought, but the risk if very real.

But the water was REALLY cold...:eek:

It started to rain just was we formed our chain, a slight drizzle, so we thought, cool, we'll get used to the water fast. The water was colder than the rain!! The only thing we could do was just immerse ourselves in it to get used to it, which never really happened :), especially when we stopped to do the water-veil part of the tour. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Would wearing a knee brace be allowed - the full leg kind with the degree turn at the knee. It bends to 90 degrees and the only benefit is if you feel you couldn't hyerextend your knee - it would stop at 90 degrees.

Thanks for the advice!

I am in my 50's, overweight, out of shape and have asthma, and I climbed the falls. It is like a staircase. It would be hard to fall. If I can do it, most anyone can.

• 4 weeks later...

You start at the top and walk down the stairway to the beach, then back up the stairs if you don't climb the falls. It's fairly easy and there are places to rest along the way.

I think, though I didn't look after we climbed the falls, that you can see some of the falls from the top without taking the stairs, but it wouldn't be the whole falls, just part of it.

Did you purchase trip Insurance ? They might be what you need? We have good health insurance, but still always purchse the trip insurance for all the benefits. There are lots of companies that offer it. We have purchased it through the site when we booked & other times we went to a company that doesn't sell the trip just the insurance. Trip insurance may offer benefits like trip cancellation, baggage, medical, dental, emergency evacuation, 24 hour traveler assistance, baggage delay, travel delay, and accidental death coverage. Some policies also have options for collision/damage coverage for rented cars, flight insurance (a form of accidental death coverage while flying only) and added emergency evacuation insurance. Some package policies include coverage for children at no extra charge. You will get lots of opinion on travel insurance on here so its up to you. Should cost somehwere around 5% of your trips cost +/-.

I have climbed the falls twice and didn't have a problem but I have seen people fall down. You could fall anywhere but the risk is higher here IMO. Not sure if those people that fell ended up hurt or not ?

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a dumb question. Do you climb up and then back down the falls?

As they say, the only dumb one is....

the typical guided tour has you arrive at the top of the falls (that's where the parking lot / shops/vendors and admission gate is). A guide takes you down the stairs that run along the side of the falls to the bottom/beach area. Then you form a string, holding hands, and climb the falls - or follow the well trod path up the left side of the falls depending on your point of view - back to the top. You then run the gauntlet of vendors back to your tour vehicle and head for the next stop.

But

You don't HAVE to do it that way. The falls is a park and admission to the park is good for all day, and you can play in the falls without a guide. Been there, done that, many times. So you can get in the water at the top and climb down...or start in the middle....or what ever..play in the pools, climb the laft side then do it again on the right side, learn where you can jump off a rock into a deep pool, visit the beach and have a Red Stripe or better yet a Dragon Stout.

Most people who visit the falls really don't experience it. They do the falls in a way similar to the Griswalds doing Europe....see Paris art in 59 minutes.....

When I take first timers I plan to spend several hours. We'll go over by taxi and I'll hire a guide for their first climb. Then I tell him to beat it, and we'll go up and down a few times on our own with maybe a libation or two in 'tween. A couple of meat pies for lunch with the afore mentioned libation then we may toy in the vendor area depending on the disposition of the group (intimidated or not?). A fun and inexpensive day....lot's of fun.

I fell. There, I said it, I'm one of the dummies who fell. ;)

It happened as we were approaching the the underpass for the road...my footing slipped and I cut the crap out of my shin. I hobbled to the nearest exit and walked the steps up the rest of the way. Six yrs later, I still have a scar but I have been to the Falls three times since then. ;)

I will tell you that I was not wearing water shoes - just regular teva type sandals. The guide strongly advised against me going up in the sandals, but DRF was the last stop on our tour that day and DH and I were down to just tip money in our pockets. Looking back, I should have spent it on the shoe rental, but I wanted to do right by our guide...and foolishly thought it would be no big deal.

The last time I went to DNR I actually just swam in the ocean at the bottom (it was warm in comparison to the falls) and waited for my group to finish the climb. It was very relaxing.

• 1 month later...

Archived