Dunn River Falls - Safety?

soontobecc

I signed up to do it next week :( Worried because the ship last week and this coming week is skipping jamaica. I really looked forward to it. I have talked to someone on these boards already who broke her foot, so there is a degree of danger involved, but I intend to be extra carefull.

We are supposed to be in Jamaica the morning of 9/10.

I came here actually to see how much damage Jamaica sustained from Gustav and why Conquest is skipping Jamaica this week.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to know how to swim to climb the falls, although it certainly would be better. I highly doubt that all the people climbing are swimmers.

I am a good swimmer, so that may color my perception, but I don't remember anyplace that would be over an adult's head, especially if you are following a guide; however, it is easy to fall and it would be possible to go all the way under if you fell in the wrong place.

Also, I think that water levels are higher at some times of the year. I don't know if life jackets are available, but if you are uncomfortable, maybe you can find out, or bring your own.

For the tubing, life jackets might be a good idea for non-swimmers. We had our four little kids wearing their own jackets; none of the adults wore them, but we all swim well. Places in the river were waist-shoulder deep on the guides, and maybe there were deeper holes. It's not a scary ride, or dangerous, but I suppose it's possible to fall off the tubes, with bad luck. I'm pretty sure that life jackets are provided here, if you want them.

Archived