Anybody on Radiance last week when it was dead in the water?

My in-laws were. It was a little unnerving for them.

I was but it was short lived and was mostly surprising or maybe even shocking. The Captain kept us informed almost every 5 minutes. A lot of us were hoping it would last long enough to not get to HNL on time...ha ha ha.

On my very first cruise in Feb 2005 on the Radiance, same thing happened to us. The ship lost complete power and plunged into total darkness for over an hour....this happened at almost midnight and some folks were running around in life vests looking for their muster stations. The emergency generator kicked in and created some smoke which passengers smelled and everyone was freaking out :eek: Captain came over the loudspeaker after about 45 mins and assured us we were ok. It was a really scary experience and even more so considering it was my first cruise.

Guess I got over it though, look at my signature! :p

When that happens and you aren't in your room, are you locked out? Just wondering.

Not 100% sure, but if the locks are like those on hotel room doors, they may be battery powered. I've never notice an electrical wire running to the door, so I'd go with a battery lock.

Not 100% sure, but if the locks are like those on hotel room doors, they may be battery powered. I've never notice an electrical wire running to the door, so I'd go with a battery lock.

The locks are indeed battery-powered.

There was emergency lighting on so you could see. We were in the overflow concierge lounge on deck 13. I was wondering how I was going to get to the dining room on deck 4 with no elevators as I was in a walking cast with a broken leg. Luckily the powe can back on and they delayed our second seating.

I was in the Logo Shop, making last-minute purchases (as it was our last night on board), when the lights went out. As Carol says, there was emergency lighting. Funny thing: The DVD player, in the shop, continued to play the tape they were selling. Also, I noticed that the cash registers were still lighted. I asked if I could check out, as I wanted to go back to packing. The clerk said, "Sure," and sure enough, the cash register worked just fine. LOL!!!

So, the ship was dead in the water (or as the Captain said, "Drifting into safe waters), but I could still spend money! ;) :p :rolleyes: :D

It did feel like we hit an iceburg there for a few minutes. Just another layer to this adventure, which began and ended rather oddly. The captain was wonderful, as was our cabin steward who guided everyone to their cabin, where most kept their doors propped open. The flashlights we always pack came in handy, and thankfully the power came back on soon. There was packing to be done and toilets to be flushed.

Now, who else has pneumonia???? It was a strange cruise and we fared very well compared to some, but I am still bedridden and trying to remember the details.

We were in the Lounge on D13 when the power went out.

Captain Claus kept us well informed the entire time. Very reassuring.

I think it was the gas turbine engine that caused the problem.

I think the crew was great because they kept on with what they were doing the entire time.

Lorna, how did I know you would find a way!!:D

You know me, Wrona. Shop, even if the ship doesn't work! :p

Since the cabins weren't lit, we used the laptop monitor and the fancy, lighted pen I won at the beading class, for ambient lighting! In fact, I was doing semifore, with the pen, at the back of the ship on Mimi's aft balcony! :D

Dan and Larry were all set with the lighted ice cubes one of their tablemates gave them. :cool:

Did anyone find out what the Alpha call was, during the black-out. I heard a pregnant passenger fell in the DR. :confused:

It did feel like we hit an iceburg there for a few minutes. Just another layer to this adventure, which began and ended rather oddly. The captain was wonderful, as was our cabin steward who guided everyone to their cabin, where most kept their doors propped open. The flashlights we always pack came in handy, and thankfully the power came back on soon. There was packing to be done and toilets to be flushed.

Now, who else has pneumonia???? It was a strange cruise and we fared very well compared to some, but I am still bedridden and trying to remember the details.

Sorry about the pneumonia. I had a pretty bad cold the first few days, but got over it, once we came into warmer temps. I hope you're better, soon! ~ Lorna

Archived