Rum Tour in Barbados

fengshuibabe

We will be in Barbados on June 10th and my sister wants to do a Rum Factory Tour. The one through the ship is $39--is this the only way to get a tour? Are there other alternatives? We'd like to do the tour and then she needs to buy rum for her husband who will be left behind in Missouri--this cruise is for the girls!

Thanks for any advice!

When you dock in Barbados, as you leave the terminal there will be about 30 taxis with one man setting up groupings to different destinations. Tell him you want to go to the Malibu Rum Factory, it cost us $10.00. It's about a 15-20 minute drive. The rum factory will charge $10pp, which includes a tour, about 4-5 samples, and entrance to Malibu Beach, which will include two coupons for rum and mixed drinks, lounges, and umbrellas for the day, they also sell food and beverages there. We stayed about three hours then grabbed a cab at the road in front of their entrance. There were several cabs there to shuttle people back to there hotel or ship. The rate at the ship is set, make sure you negotiate your ride back. We paid $10, another couple on the ship said they paid $8.

When you dock in Barbados, as you leave the terminal there will be about 30 taxis with one man setting up groupings to different destinations. Tell him you want to go to the Malibu Rum Factory, it cost us $10.00. It's about a 15-20 minute drive. The rum factory will charge $10pp, which includes a tour, about 4-5 samples, and entrance to Malibu Beach, which will include two coupons for rum and mixed drinks, lounges, and umbrellas for the day, they also sell food and beverages there. We stayed about three hours then grabbed a cab at the road in front of their entrance. There were several cabs there to shuttle people back to there hotel or ship. The rate at the ship is set, make sure you negotiate your ride back. We paid $10, another couple on the ship said they paid $8.

Sorry for the stupid question, but is this the Mount Gay rum factory, or something different?:confused:

actually this is the malibu tour [white rum]the mount gay rum tour is a different place altogether.but if you want a nice beach as well as tour malibu is the place to go.was there this year and ive never paid more then three dollars each way for a taxi[maybe i look poor]..........:)

actually this is the Malibu tour [white rum]

- the mount gay (brown)rum tour is a different place altogether.

But if you want a nice beach as well as tour, Malibu is the place to go!

Was there this year and I've never paid more than three dollars each way for a taxi

After you get a taxi from outside the Port's gatehouse..

(the guys inside are pricey! - be warned)

you'll actually zip right past the Mount Gay depot,

on your way to Malibu about a mile further out.

To be technically accurate the real Mount Gay factory/distillery

is located at Mount Gay in the far Northern parish of St.Lucy

waaay up North, even beyond Nature Reserve and the Green Monkeys

but for the convenience of cruisers and other visitors

they established a touristy depot along our Spring Garden Hiway('on the land side' of the hiway)

to show off their stuff, since the distillery is not readily accessible!

Mt.Gay's place is fairly near to the dock, but not quite walking-distance?..

-and very near to Weisers Beach Bar,just across the hiway

(which is 'on the sea/beach side')

Weisers and the Mt.Gay depot are not much more than a stone's throw from ea.other

for those who need to know.

2 pics below.

1st. one shows the street entrance to Malibu

- probably your first sight of it, as you arrive by taxi.

2nd. pic is taken at the extreme Southern end of Brandons beach

right opposite Mt.Gay's depot(off the picture at far right..sorry!)

but does show Weisers around the middle(white picket fence)

and Malibu at the far(left) end of the beach..

...I think I can just about make out the Malibu refinery bldgs. at extreme left

Malibu_beach_Barbados.jpg.8be21ab0215c5297846c96d9710ca620.jpg

Brandons-45.jpg.853f5c15ee855c96ffff943bd5f7e5a4.jpg

aplmac----Can you tell me if one tour is better than the other? DH wanted to do the Royal Caribbean tour with Mount Gay and I believe a beer factory in 1 tour. Don't know if there will be beach time afterwards.

Thanks for your help!:)

aplmac----Can you tell me if one tour is better than the other?

DH wanted to do the Royal Caribbean tour with Mount Gay and I believe a beer factory in 1 tour.

Don't know if there will be beach time afterwards.

I drink Vodka, when I drink...but nonetheless I think Malibu has the edge over Mt.Gay

because of the beach bar thing afterwards!

On these boards I see lotsa comments about Malibu but few about Mt.Gay.

That 'beer factory' will be Banks and that's right across the other side of the bustling city

from where the 2 rums (and Brandons Beach) are.

With luck you'll do Banks Breweries first

and then head back in the basic direction of the Port

to do Mt.Gay Rum -with a bit of beach after..

Careful crossing the Spring Gdn.Hiway to get to Brandon's Beach after th rum tayshtin thing..hic! :eek:

...although local drivers give way to Obvious Tourists quite readily, and will slow down to let you cross.

Wave yer flowery handbag or whatever!:) They'll see you.:D

Hope this helps?

• 3 weeks later...

aplmac - so if I understand you correctly, the Royal Carib Mount Gay rum distillery tour doesn't tour the real distillery but rather some tourist concoction in Bridgetown or thereabouts. Is the Malibu distillery in Bridgetown the real deal and do you know if it offers tours?

aplmac - so if I understand you correctly, the Royal Carib Mount Gay rum distillery tour doesn't tour the real distillery but rather some tourist concoction in Bridgetown or thereabouts. Is the Malibu distillery in Bridgetown the real deal and do you know if it offers tours?

The Malibu distillery tour is the real deal. The fact it is beach front makes it a great deal as well. We did it in 2005. Following our island and cave tour, our driver dropped us off and for $10 we got in, got the tour, several sample shots, beach chairs, and we were also able to sit down and order a nice lunch and some rum and cokes! (What else? :D ) Beach and booze - what else could you ask for on a cruise excursion??? :)

The Malibu distillery tour is the real deal.

The fact it is beach front makes it a great deal as well. We did it in 2005.

Following our island and cave tour, our driver dropped us off

and for $10 we got in, got the tour, several sample shots, beach chairs,

and we were also able to sit down and order a nice lunch

and some rum and cokes! (What else? :D )

Beach and booze - what else could you ask for on a cruise excursion??? :)

Does that answer your question?? :D

Thank you, OHCruisinDad!

You don't need to go to town or the factory but go to the Cave Shepard shop at the pier and buy your stash. I think that the best rum available is the Mount Gay Extra Old at about $16 a litre in US $. It's definately worth the extra $ over the Eclipse. It's one of the best rums I ever drank and usually bring bach 4 bottles even if I have to pay duty (rarely).

Ohcrusindad & aplmac - thanks for the information! That sounds great and was what i was looking for. Sounds like we may even be able to do an island tour then tour the Malibu distillery on our own then hit the beach.

And it's the tour of the distillery that I was particularly looking for plus some tasting. As far as buying rum, figured I can probably get that pretty much anywhere.

Thanks again.

Fengshuibabe - in your review you mnetioned the midnight buffet - do you remeber what night that was/ I don't want to book Portofino for that night!!!

thanks!!! Risa

• 1 month later...
I drink Vodka, when I drink...but nonetheless I think Malibu has the edge over Mt.Gay

because of the beach bar thing afterwards!

On these boards I see lotsa comments about Malibu but few about Mt.Gay.

That 'beer factory' will be Banks and that's right across the other side of the bustling city

Careful crossing the Spring Gdn.Hiway to get to Brandon's Beach after th rum tayshtin thing..hic! :eek:

...although local drivers give way to Obvious Tourists quite readily, and will slow down to let you cross.

Wave yer flowery handbag or whatever!:) They'll see you.:D

Hope this helps?

Since you are local there...is the beach at Malibu suitable for children to swim etc?

Since you are local there...is the beach at Malibu suitable for children to swim etc?
Yes, it's a calm spot - should be ok.

This shot below is taken from the far 'other end' of that beach

but you get the picture - unless there's a North Swell running that (unlucky) day

sea conditions are normally as you see them here!

Brandons-06.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hope this helps?

AplMac, I'm not understanding. How would we get to the Banks Brewery?

charlotte

During a stop on Barbados last February on the Emerald Princess, we took the Sugar Tour. We visited St. Nicholas Abbey, an old sugar cane plantation, with a Dutch gabled-roof great house. There is also a rum distillery on the estate, with bottles of rum for sale. On the day we were there, sugar cane was being harvested and crushed into cane juice. We saw the huge antique diesel-powered cane press in action, saw the rum-making process and sampled the aged rum. We also toured the last cane press powered by a windmill that remains on the island. On the way back to the ship, we stopped at the picturesque Bathsheba coast.

We enjoyed this unique tour. It was both a rum tour and a historical tour.

DavidnSteph

Archived