General Immersion Thread (merged)

Would you cruise an immerson cruise?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise an immerson cruise?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - It depends how much I know about how the cruise will differ from regular cruises.

[quote name='fifty']Why would they want a cruise that immersed them in their own culture?:confused:[/quote]
Heh, you're arguing both sides of the fence? On the one hand, you want to be immersed in your own culture, and on the other asking why anyone else would want to be?:confused:

I liked RCCL just the way it was. I considered the RCCL crew multi-cultural and appreciate the variety but I also appreciate the "known" experience that I can always expect on a RCCL cruise. If I wanted to immerse myself in a culture, I would take a land vacation or live (as I have done in the past) in another country.

The cruise experience provided a "constant" that I found appealing.

I totally agree, and now I am a little nervous.

I am dying to see Asia, but my partner will only go by cruise ship. The Asian culture, language, food, everything is intimidating to him, and being able to get back to an "American" atmosphere at the end of the day is a must.

As for me, cruising is all about VARIETY...food, music, shows, you name it. The "immersion" concept absolutely KILLS that aspect of cruising.

I've been researching Asia iteneraries for our next cruise, and naturally I was looking at RC. I'm glad this came to light now, because I think I will explore other cruise lines just so I don't get thrown a last-minute curveball like this.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"][SIZE=2]Ok so I just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean and this is what they said sorry if this has already been said![/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Onboard guests will experience a lot of different [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Food[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Entertainment[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Tv/programming[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Activities [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Geared towards the type of immersion cruise.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]This is a list of what ships have been selected for immersion cruises [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Enchantment – South America [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Vision – South America[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Splendor – South America[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Jewel – Scandinavia[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Vision Scandinavia[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Independence – British [/FONT][/SIZE]
• Legend – Asia[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

[quote name='Cruiserccl'][SIZE=2]Ok so I just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean and this is what they said sorry if this has already been said![/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Onboard guests will experience a lot of different [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Food[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Entertainment[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Tv/programming[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Activities [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Geared towards the type of immersion cruise.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]This is a list of what ships have been selected for immersion cruises [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Enchantment – South America [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Vision – South America[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Splendor – South America[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Jewel – Scandinavia[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Vision Scandinavia[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Independence – British [/FONT][/SIZE]
• Legend – Asia[/quote]

They forgot to tell you Legend in Southeast Asia...her 3 cruises for 2009 are Asian immersion!

Well as you know Cruzin' I am a lawyer and for our trip we can cancel w/o penalty so no harm, no foul (even though we may be bitterly disappointed) To address the other point raised, our trip was booked within weeks of the schedule coming out and we got the last balcony cabin. So obviously filling the ship is not the problem. I am at a loss as to why they are doing this but it is not to fill the ship. Now I concede that I have no idea who bought the other cabins and perhaps there was a big market push in the Asian countries but the people who booked this trip back in I think it was Oct ? bought an English speaking cruise,didn't they? With out regard to their ethnicity? If RCI sold this in Asia as an "Asian" cruise then we should have been informed when we booked.

[quote name='jallison8378']I totally agree, and now I am a little nervous.

I am dying to see Asia, but my partner will only go by cruise ship. The Asian culture, language, food, everything is intimidating to him, and being able to get back to an "American" atmosphere at the end of the day is a must.

As for me, cruising is all about VARIETY...food, music, shows, you name it. The "immersion" concept absolutely KILLS that aspect of cruising.

I've been researching Asia iteneraries for our next cruise, and naturally I was looking at RC. I'm glad this came to light now, because I think I will explore other cruise lines just so I don't get thrown a last-minute curveball like this.[/quote]

I can certainly understand your anxieties, but how does immersion KILL VARIETY? Doesn't it add more?

[quote name='Mike2131']Without explaining to passengers beforehand this was going to (or could) occur is one of the most ridiculous ideas I have ever heard. If someone wants to book an in-depth cultural experience, that is one thing. To effectively bait-and-switch after someone has booked (and may be out non-recoverable money) is quite another. If they try what appears to be an ill-conceived notion with Celebrity, I guess we will strike them off the list.[/quote]

I think people shouldn't get their noses so bent until there is some resolution... Clearly, it is way before sail time - and I am sure there will be a mutual resolution that works for all...

There are pros and cons to booking well in advance - this is either a pro or a con depending on the individual (it would be a definite con for me). You can't even guarantee a lobster tail with your once a week meal...........

I do have to say I would be very bummed if I was cruising Asia, only to find it became an Asian cruise...

If you look at RCL's forward statements regarding their stock, their growth is going to come from *foreign* ports - not the US. Hence this is some high-level directive to try and pull business from other cruise lines.

I have been in and out of the stock (mainly to get the cruise on board credit - with very nice success - the stock moves enough that you can move in and out frequently, and pocket a few $$), and have read a bit about it... Probably the best strategy they could work is this 'immersion' one.
Easy to gain better acceptance in foreign markets
Win-win to gaining an edge on current competition (better ships)
US travelers most likely represent a fraction of the real revenue - and this is shrinking daily due to the strength of other markets currencies...

RCCL - like it or not - must build business outside the US to keep the shareholders happy (increase revenue). A $1000 cruise in the US, brings probably $1500 elsewhere (just a guess - maybe too low).

We are on Jewel of The Seas 6/27/08 and just found out that the cruise we bought has been turned into a Scand. immersion cruise!!! The point here is that this cruise should have been billed as such from the begining!! We have all made final payment, air and hotel arrangements, the whole bit..and now in the 11th hour the Scand. immersion info. comes out. Scand, staff and food..:confused:this feels like a baite and switch situation. hard to comprehend!!! maybe someone can post and explaine what im missing. thanks in advance.
Dean:eek: :confused:

I choose my cruises based upon two things:

1. It has to be a week when the kids're already out of school half the week.
2. The ship must sail out of Port Canaveral, which is close enough for us to drive to.

That limits my choices significantly, doesn't it? If the ship/week I chose happened to be an immersion cruise, I'd go ahead and book it -- I would be just a tad disappointed. However, the immersion concept doesn't interest me, and I wouldn't [I]purposefully [/I]seek out an immersion cruise.

I can't imagine it'd be much different from any other cruise, but I figure I'd get tired of the same cuisine in the dining room. I believe the language "differences" would probably be limited to a secondary reading of the daily announcements and some cute-sie phrases on the dinner menus. The ship isn't going to "turn off" its English-speaking customers (in other words, the majority) by using a language they can't understand.

[quote name='JLvacation']I have been reading the threads on the (immersion) and was just wondering .
It seems that a lot of this is in the Asia and Europe Cruises.
has anyone had one happen out of San Juan ?[/quote]

Yes I was on the Empress of Seas out of San Juan in '04. That was a long time ago and RCI was doing it then. Spanish was the predominant language. We had folks leave our dining table because they spoke no English. We did find one other couple that spoke English to dine with.

Bands played Spanish music, food was of the Spanish flavor, announcements were in Spanish first, then English. When I booked the cruise I had no idea what a "local cruise" meant. That's what the agent told me it was.

We were surprised by the amount of Spanish, even in San Juan. The Burger King menu was in Spanish. I thought this was a U.S. territory???

We still had a great cruise, but we stayed in our cabin mostly playing cards and reading, not partaking of the ship activities. We did go ashore at the ports and we did sign up for ship tours in the ports.

But I think RCI just needs to tell the people up front what type of cruise this is and let them decide if they still want to book it. Not let them book it, then decide to make it an immersion cruise.

[quote name='dathy']okay rccl. we love your cruiseline, but why, oh why, are you doing this? if i cancel my cruise, i am losing almost $2500 with airfare and tours already booked. don't you care about your american travelers? what in the world is going on?

if you wanted to do immersion cruises, offer them and then let people decide whether or not they're interested. don't go changing this drastically AFTER people have booked.

thank you!!![/quote]

Is cancelling really worth $2500? I have a feeling it wont be as bad as you think. Be open to the immersion cruise, something different is okay!!

Welcome the change with open arms, if you odn't like it you don't have to go on an immersion cruise ever again, maybe you'll find you like it.

This is all I see on the subject for your cruise.

[QUOTE]Jewel of the Seas and Vision of the Seas are headed to Northern Europe, and Scandinavian food and entertainment could be on tap for those cruises.[/QUOTE]

Is Scandinavian food bad??

• Administrators
[quote name='dathy']for us it was a phone call. imagine how many calls they've made???

i too am awaiting some response from a cruiser who has been through immersion. this concept is apparently very new for rccl.

as dr. phil would say, "what were they thinking????"[/quote]

Specifically, "who" called you? Your travel agent or someone from RCI?

Laura

Here is the link to explain it on CC

[url]http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2610[/url]

May 22, 2008

Is Royal Caribbean Embracing International Cruise Styles?
Running rampant on the Cruise Critic message boards today are rumors related to Royal Caribbean's new "immersion" offensive. As reported by numerous members, the cruise line -- which has ships deployed virtually all over the globe -- is beginning to transform what has been a fairly standardized, American-influenced onboard experience to one that more closely reflects the regions ships visits.

Cruise Critic member Albert Ross says he received the following information from Royal Caribbean on the line's concept of "immersion": "On these particular sailings, there are a high percentage of guests who are sourced from outside of North America. They have been sold almost exclusively to guests from specific regions of the world, and many of the services and products onboard have been tailored to meet the needs of those guests. These include onboard programming, food and beverage, retail items onboard, and entertainment. Additionally, the primary language used onboard will, in some cases, be the local language."

In these cases, Albert Ross' info continues, the following cruises could be potentially be affected:

Legend of the Seas, which sails 3- to 14-night Asia itineraries, would reflect Asian culture.

Enchantment of the Seas, Vision of the Seas and Splendour of the Seas, which sail cruises to the Caribbean, Panama Canal and South America respectively, would focus on Latin American influences while in those regions.

Jewel of the Seas and Vision of the Seas are headed to Northern Europe, and Scandinavian food and entertainment could be on tap for those cruises.

The Southampton-based Independence of the Seas, with its focus on attracting Brits, would feature more than the in-cabin tea kettles that were the ship's original distinction.

This, of course, is all conjecture. Posts on the Royal Caribbean forum tell us that the cruise line is behind the changes. However, earlier today, Cruise Critic's U.K. correspondent asked folks at Royal Caribbean International U.K. about Independence of the Seas' embrace of the British Isles in particular. We were told by public relations representative Sarah Rathbone that it's not a cruise line-sponsored program. Instead, she said, the anglicization of Independence of the Seas' onboard experience is the result of American travel agents "billing the cruise as 'Brit Immersion' because of the nature of an ex-U.K. cruise [departing from a U.K. port] featuring Brits as a majority of the guests."

Cruise Critic was able to reach Lyan Sierra-Caro, a spokesperson from Royal Caribbean's U.S.-based public relations office, this evening. Contrary to the information we received from the U.K., Sierra-Caro tells us that the cruise line has indeed been implementing slight tweaks to onboard ambience based on where a ship is sailing.

We'll provide more concrete details tomorrow.

In the meantime, travelers are weighing in furiously about the pros and cons of immersion cruises, with the majority of posts so far leaning against changing the onboard ambience to fit itineraries. We thought this response from PaulandSueUK was pretty insightful (and frankly funny):

"I've been following this whole 'British Immersion' thing on another thread and here is my two penn'arth (that'll confuse the Yanks LOL). Personally I'm fine with the food options (well I would be I'm English). That doesn't worry me much at all. Where I am slightly put out is on the need for a 'British Immersion' cruise in the first place. British cruisers who want to cruise from Southampton and experience a British ship/ambience can already do so on P&O and Cunard as another poster pointed out.

"We choose RCCI precisely because it is not a British line. I love the idea of meeting and cruising with other nationalities, especially the Yanks. As a (very, very general) generalization, I find Europeans and Americans to be (broadly) more friendly than my fellow Brits (especially the English!!) and that is the main reason we choose it over other lines. The idea of sailing for 2 weeks with 95 percent fellow Brits doesn't exactly thrill me although before I get flamed by the south coast massive I'm still sure it would be a fantastic cruise (aren't they always).

"I cannot help thinking though that this will all turn out to be a storm in a tea cup as I don't see how RCCI can change their spots completely overnight. Hope not anyway."

--by Carolyn Spencer Brown, Editor in Chief

Len Tillem as Ship counsel. "I'm a lawya!"

[quote name='The Big Booper']A NY/NJ immersion cruise on the Explorer should have

Tony Danza as the Captain
Fran Drescher as the cruise director
Penny Marshall as the social hostess
and......
Rosie as the chief warden of the brig.

:D :) :D :) :D

Any more ideas.......[/quote]

:confused: So what exactly do they do........has anyone actually been on a immersion cruise? Does that mean NO one speaks English, you can't get a hamburger only sushi :( ................... all the entertainment is in the language of the "immersion" cruise. :( No rum only saki..............if that is true I'm out

[quote name='agabbymama']Immersion cruises are not fun at all. I did one out of San Juan not fully realizing what the difference would be.

RCCL did not explain that 98% of the passengers were Puerto Rican and would be speaking Spanish. That the music on deck would be Spanish, that the food on-board would be Spanish, that the other guests at your table would only speak Spanish, that the announcements would be in Spanish first, then follow in English. Neither my friend nor I spoke Spanish nor understand Spanish, nor wanted to eat Spanish food at all meals.

If you do not speak the foreign language, nor have an inclination to be immersed in that culture, definitely cancel. They are definitely a themed type cruise.[/quote]

This is exactly what we had in '00 on the Adventurer. We were definately the minority on this cruise and all that you described happened to us. We found out that the locals payed at that time $350 for a cabin and that price was to fill the ship and fill it they did. So RCCL was doing the immersion thing long ago and now they are doing it in other countries. Why not call it a theme country cruise?? That is exactly what they are. I wonder how many people will be taking this type of cruise.

How about the food?? No pizza or hamburgers good grief can't go:)

[quote name='Suzanne74']I think the point is that many people book interntional cruises on american cruise lines[/quote]

Technically, Royal Caribbean Cruises isn't an American line at all. Sure, it's headquartered in Miami and all but the company is incorporated in Liberia.

"Immersion Cruise" is a misnomer; some slick marketing guy probably coined this term. Ships such as Legend (Singapore) and Splendour (Sao Paulo) [I]are there specifically to target residents of these countries[/I].

It's pretty clear that the US market (likely the entire North American market) is no longer such a high priority, and the reasons why should be obvious by now.

[quote name='dathy']okay rccl. we love your cruiseline, but why, oh why, are you doing this? if i cancel my cruise, i am losing almost $2500 with airfare and tours already booked. don't you care about your american travelers? what in the world is going on?

if you wanted to do immersion cruises, offer them and then let people decide whether or not they're interested. don't go changing this drastically AFTER people have booked.
thank you!!![/quote]
From another same thread - so same post

<Preamble - if you are looking for a satisfactory response, why come here first????????????????????????? This likely lessens your odds of a best case scenario - one that benefits you as much as the cruise line...>

Quoted earlier in the same type thread....

I think people shouldn't get their noses so bent until there is some resolution... Clearly, it is way before sail time - and I am sure there will be a mutual resolution that works for all...

There are pros and cons to booking well in advance - this is either a pro or a con depending on the individual (it would be a definite con for me). You can't even guarantee a lobster tail with your once a week meal...........

I do have to say I would be very bummed if I was cruising Asia, only to find it became an Asian cruise...

If you look at RCL's forward statements regarding their stock, their growth is going to come from *foreign* ports - not the US. Hence this is some high-level directive to try and pull business from other cruise lines.

I have been in and out of the stock (mainly to get the cruise on board credit - with very nice success - the stock moves enough that you can move in and out frequently, and pocket a few $$), and have read a bit about it... Probably the best strategy they could work is this 'immersion' one.
Easy to gain better acceptance in foreign markets
Win-win to gaining an edge on current competition (better ships)
US travelers most likely represent a fraction of the real revenue - and this is shrinking daily due to the strength of other markets currencies...

RCCL - like it or not - must build business outside the US to keep the shareholders happy (increase revenue). A $1000 cruise in the US, brings probably $1500 elsewhere (just a guess - maybe too low).

[B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]dont you guys think its time to post some solid info about immersion cruises? who is effected? what are the changes? why not bill the cruises for what they are ahead of time? COME ON GUYS........SHARE!![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Archived