Cruising Alone

XCruiseMe17

Hey Everyone. I am new cruising and I am supposed to go on my first cruise on August 31 on the Carnival Valor for Western Caribbean. My friend who was going to go with me, has just decided that she doesnt want to go. My question is would any of you cruise alone for your FIRST cruise?

Thanks in advance.

I did it for my first....in November, I'll be doing that for the 21st time. Make friends here. If you're friendly...friends will gravitate to you

You can have a good time. people on a cruise are relaxed for the most part and happy to meet people and talk. I started this thread a while back. Lots of good info from people that convinced me to go solo. I was not a cruise virgin but had never cruised by myself. Lots of good reading. Over 600 posts on it from solo/single cruisers.....Many of the posters were female.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=421257

happy cruizin......

You'll be fine. Once you get up on deck, take a shore excursion and go to dinner you'll have so many friends you won't know what to do with them all.

Most importantly, enjoy your first cruise and welcome to the crusing world. From the day you step on that ship your life will begin....:)

I have cruised solo for over 20 years (I do take my grandson once a year) -- 3/4 a year. I LOVE it....

You can mix and mingle, make new friends, take part in activities --- or not... A cruise is a very social environment. If you want, you can be as involved as you like. It's sort of up to you.

I enjoy the solo experience so much and have always met really nice people, had a wonderful time and enjoyed every minute.

I also love the solitude of my cabin....love entering that quiet place where I can fully relax and unwind.

Go and have a great time!!!!

I have cruised solo six times. Two of those times there were people I new on the ship. But the first time I went solo I couldn't find anyone that could get the time of or weren't able to go for other reasons. So I went to http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373 and talked to other solo cruisers there and desided to just go for it.

Check out the roll call for your sailing. I've met some good friends there.

Just go for it and have a great cruise.

I may sound like I'm echoing G'ma.:D I'm female, love cruising solo, and all but a few of my cruises have been solo. Love it! I can mix and mingle, because there are always folks you can join anywhere if you're the friendly type. I also like my alone time. I love walking the deck in the evenings by myself. I cruise mainly because I love the sea. I'm not looking for social hookups - but I do enjoy talking w/my dinner companions, and others throughout the cruise. GO and have a great time!:)

I also strike out on my own in ports, but you may feel more comfortable joining others you meet, or going on a planned excursion.

I may sound like I'm echoing G'ma.:D I'm female, love cruising solo, and all but a few of my cruises have been solo. Love it! I can mix and mingle, because there are always folks you can join anywhere if you're the friendly type. I also like my alone time. I love walking the deck in the evenings by myself. I cruise mainly because I love the sea. I'm not looking for social hookups - but I do enjoy talking w/my dinner companions, and others throughout the cruise. GO and have a great time!:)

I also strike out on my own in ports, but you may feel more comfortable joining others you meet, or going on a planned excursion.

Hi Cotton! I echo what Cotton said . . . :p

My first cruise was solo, I booked it a year out for myself and girlfriend and we broke up the next week. (I had a feeling that we wouldn't last at the time, but I booked because I wanted a real vacation). I've been on a total of 4 solo cruises. Its no big deal. In fact, I bet it will be easier for a woman, so don't sweat it. You meet new people and do new things. I went on excursion and most time would hook up with a couple or another single and tag along with them. I can only think of one time when I went out and was by myself the whole time, that was in Nassau and I went swimming with the Stingrays. Guess what, I still had a great time and the Stingrays didn't seem to mind my singleness. On my second single cruise I meet a nice young lady and we hit it off and had a long distance relationship for a couple a' months. So to wrap this up, don't worry, relax. The worst that can happen is that you'll be stuck on a beautiful ship where you can relax and do whatever you want to do.

By the way, you won't be alone, You'll be cruising with me and my little family that week, so keep an eye out for us.;)

By the way, you won't be alone, You'll be cruising with me and my little family that week, so keep an eye out for us.;)

Look, you already have a friend!

XCRuiseMe - I am from suburban Chi-town too. :) I cruise with my daughter who is 16, so after dinner she goes off with the teens, and I have alone time. Here are my suggestions:

Definitely find the roll call for your sailing and get to know those folks. You will NOT feel alone that way. I am still chatting with roll call friends I met in March 2006, and we are planning a cruise reunion.

Consider reading this board and post - you will get to know people here, and the knowledge you learn from experienced cruisers will help you to feel more comfortable on your first cruise.

Another idea is to ask the maitre'd to seat you with other single cruisers (but i think they do a good job of that anyway without asking).

Finally -- after your August cruise, you will be hooked on cruising like the rest of us, and ready to plan the next one. If you want to join a fun group, join the group cruise on the Spirit "Romancing the Riviera" 2/7/2010. Some of us are single, some not, several from Chicago area, and it's a very friendly group. Or join any group cruise!!

Good luck to you; let us know how it goes.

All of you have been so helpful and kind. Thank you for your guidance I am positive that Im going to go on the cruise now! I will def take everyones suggestions and join the roll calls and just have a good time! I am happy that I found cruise critic. Thanks again everyone!

Ps. I just might romance the riviera with you all. =)

All of you have been so helpful and kind. Thank you for your guidance I am positive that Im going to go on the cruise now! I will def take everyones suggestions and join the roll calls and just have a good time! I am happy that I found cruise critic. Thanks again everyone!

Ps. I just might romance the riviera with you all. =)

Careful - you're about to get addicted to cruising. ;) Seriously, you are welcome to join the Mexican Riviera 2/2010 group: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=725036

I stumbled upon cruisecritic in 2006 after I booked a cruise and ended up meeting all these great people before the cruise. Whatever you decide, best of luck. I am sailing on Saturday so I'll be away a week or so, but if you have any other questions, just ask!

I did 2 solo cruises last year and one solo land vacation also did 2 solo land trips this year, one in February and one in April and enjoyed every minute of it, you will be fine, I meet a lot of nice people from different places, if you are not a shy person then I am sure you will meet people and have a blast, I know I did, hope you have a great cruise and be sure to come back and tell us all about it.

Archived