How Do You Know If Your Cruise Has Been Made Into An Immersion Cruise?

I don't think that the differences are that great. We did a South American cruise where 90% of the passengers were Brazilian. The only change that RCL made was to make announcements in two languages and provide some local food (this was as a complement to the normal fare, not a substitution) and worked very well.

We found out before that the dining times had been changed to 8:00 and 10:00, so we switched from our normal 2nd seating to 1st.

Our next cruise will be a Spanish immersion on Navigator. This could be interesting.

Did you go on any of RCCL tours? I'm wondering if all tour guides will be speaking Spanish?

I just got the word that the Vision of the Seas sailing from Santo Domingo in January 2009 will be a Latin American Immersion cruise. My TA said that means smoking everywhere on the ship, only spanish spoken, only latin american food, and toplessness all over the ship. I think she is exaggerating. I called C&A but the repsonse was "well, I really don't know, I can't say 100% for sure" etc. Has anyone been on a Latin American immersion cruise? (I bet not, it's a pretty new itinerary as it is.) I really wouldn't like the smoking everywhere with no place to hang out without smoke, and the toplessness would make me very uncomfortable. But, of course, the price has doubled since we booked last June, and we have non refundable airline tickets, hotel arrangements, etc.:rolleyes:

Did you go on any of RCCL tours? I'm wondering if all tour guides will be speaking Spanish?

On our SA transatlantic, we did several RCI tours. All the guides spoke excellent English and were very good. The only problem we had was that several tours were cancelled because of lack of participation. There were just over 300 English speakers on the cruise and in a couple of ports the bookings were spread out too thin over the available tours.

My TA said that means smoking everywhere on the ship, only spanish spoken, only latin american food, and toplessness all over the ship. I think she is exaggerating.

I think she is exaggerating. On our transatlantic Portuguese was the main language, but we had no difficulty getting information and conversing with the crew, who were a largely Brazilians. There was no smoking in the dining room and I didn't notice any smoking in the enclosed area of the Windjammer, where the food is. Did not see any smoking in the theatre. The smoking "areas" elsewhere were basically ignored, it was open season in the bars and anywhere on deck. No topless, but lots of large Brazilian ladies in thong bikinis. I've never seen so much cheek in my life, not really attractive.

Archived