Where to eat mofongo in OSJ?

cruise4kicks

I'm hoping some of the locals can help me out with this question: Is there a good place for a neophite to eat mofongo in OSJ? That was one of the dishes Anthony Bourdain featured in his show in PR, and it sounds so yummy to me I'd like to try it out when we're in port in August!

TIA!

There's a place called Mofongo in the little mall right next to the Sheraton in OSJ, and I suppose they serve it :) . DH had mofongo de yuca (instead of the traditional green plantain) at La Bombonera, but I don't remember if they had traditional. Yuca is excellent also, though. Raices and Mojitos, both across from the two big parking garages, also make it.

Mofongo is one of the most delicious, succulent, savory foods on the face of the earth. :p Unfortunately, I can't eat it because it has too much fat (fried plantains, pork rinds) and garlic in it, :eek: but it's an experience you shouldn't miss!

There is this little hole in the wall place in the Condado area of San Juan called Cafe Del Angel and they have really yummy mofongo. My DH usually gets the chicken and I get the vegetarian one which is filled with stuff underneath the plantain/mushy-ness and covered in a sauce and served over rice. We also had Mofongo at Barrachinas on Fortaleeza St. in Old San Juan. They are the place that supposedly invented the pina colada. It's a very cool place, albeit a bit touristy but pretty much anywhere you go in OSJ likely will be. I'm pretty sure anywhere you go they'll have mofongo so you could always just walk around and read menu's outside at different restaurants until you find one you like! Enjoy! Mofongo is quite interesting.

Laura

We were thinking of going to the place near the Sheraton--are there any shops or things of interest in that general area near the cruise ship port?

Do not want a long walk uphill this time!

Thanks for the information, killafee! It's great to hear about mofongo from people who are well-acquainted with it. We can't wait to try it! We've decided to order one each of plantain- and yucca-based and share up. :cool:

No problem!! We love leaving from San Juan and wandering around OSJ and Condado....and eating mofongo and drinking Carib beer. You'll have a blast. I totally saw the same Anthony Bourdain episode (love him....mwah!) and every restaurant we passed in OSJ we were like "THAT'S the restaurant he went to....no no that one!" :D

Laura

I'm hoping some of the locals can help me out with this question: Is there a good place for a neophite to eat mofongo in OSJ? That was one of the dishes Anthony Bourdain featured in his show in PR, and it sounds so yummy to me I'd like to try it out when we're in port in August!

TIA!

OK, probably a stupid question, but what exactly is mofongo?

Not stupid at all. Unless you've seen a TV show about PR cooking or have been here, you woulnd't know it!

Traditional mofongo is green plantain, fried and then mashed in a pilón (mortar and pestle), with ground up fried pork skin (chicharrón), garlic and salt. It's sometimes (but not necessarily) served with chicken broth to moisten it, although I personally detest that. It's served as a side with fried pork, chuletas (pork chops) or just about any meat, or as a main dish covered in stewed chicken or seafood. It's called stuffed (mofongo relleno) but really what they do is make a kind of bowl out of the mofongo and top it with the stew.

It's incredibly rich and tasty, but also horribly fattening and artery clogging! But it's the kind of thing you just HAVE to try at least once in your life :)

mofongo.jpg

• 3 months later...
Not stupid at all. Unless you've seen a TV show about PR cooking or have been here, you woulnd't know it!

Traditional mofongo is green plantain, fried and then mashed in a pilón (mortar and pestle), with ground up fried pork skin (chicharrón), garlic and salt. It's sometimes (but not necessarily) served with chicken broth to moisten it, although I personally detest that. It's served as a side with fried pork, chuletas (pork chops) or just about any meat, or as a main dish covered in stewed chicken or seafood. It's called stuffed (mofongo relleno) but really what they do is make a kind of bowl out of the mofongo and top it with the stew.

It's incredibly rich and tasty, but also horribly fattening and artery clogging! But it's the kind of thing you just HAVE to try at least once in your life :)

mofongo.jpg

This looks so yummy!!

IMO Mufungo is pretty rich, suggest one order mufungo and one order Mojito chicken or fish with rice & beans. We had both ordered Mufungo dishes one night and it was just too much. "Mojitos", one block up from Senior Frogs serves the exciting Mojito dishes and Mafungo.

The great Mojito drinks add to the meal also:D

Can't wait to be back in OSJ in January

• 2 weeks later...
There's a place called Mofongo in the little mall right next to the Sheraton in OSJ, and I suppose they serve it :) . DH had mofongo de yuca (instead of the traditional green plantain) at La Bombonera, but I don't remember if they had traditional. Yuca is excellent also, though. Raices and Mojitos, both across from the two big parking garages, also make it.

Mofongo is one of the most delicious, succulent, savory foods on the face of the earth. :p Unfortunately, I can't eat it because it has too much fat (fried plantains, pork rinds) and garlic in it, :eek: but it's an experience you shouldn't miss!

Sorry but the little mall next to the sheraton does not exist any more and the place called mofondo nither! all mini mall closed!

Archived