Renewal of Vows

resstation

We want to have a Renewal of Vows ceremony when we cruise this October. I read in the information that this ceremony is a "group ceremony". Since we will be docked in Boston on our anniversary date I thought it would be nice to contact an officiant in Boston that can perform the ceremony at a nice spot for just the two of us. Any ideas about a location? I guess the officiant would not be able to come aboard and perform the ceremony for us on our balcony? It probably would not be the greatest view at the port I would guess. I'm just throwing things around at the moment. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

Olga

No, the officiant would not be able to get on the ship for security reasons.

We too looked at the renewal of vows - however, for a 2 year anniversary we are having the month before our cruise, $400 is pretty steep for us at this point.

http://www.decidio.com/local-businesses/officiants-boston-massachusetts-s52.html try this web site.

Thanks for the link!

The basic Renewal of Vows package is $205 on the ship. It includes ceremony, orchid bouquet and boutenniere, certificate signed by the captain, bottle of champagne, two commemorative champagne flutes and a framed formal portrait.

The deluxe package is $485 and adds 2 robes, 2 spa services, an invitation to visit the bridge, breakfast in bed with champagne and canapes.

As I write this I'm thinking that the $200 package sounds pretty good. I was just hoping for something a little more personalized than a group.

Thanks again - Olga

Thanks for the link!

The basic Renewal of Vows package is $205 on the ship. It includes ceremony, orchid bouquet and boutenniere, certificate signed by the captain, bottle of champagne, two commemorative champagne flutes and a framed formal portrait.

The deluxe package is $485 and adds 2 robes, 2 spa services, an invitation to visit the bridge, breakfast in bed with champagne and canapes.

As I write this I'm thinking that the $200 package sounds pretty good. I was just hoping for something a little more personalized than a group.

Thanks again - Olga

We did the deluxe package in 05. This was a private ceremony with just our family and the Captain. Princess did a great job. To us, it was worth every penny. The tour of the bridge was great as was the trip to the Spa. IMHO

We did the deluxe package in 05. This was a private ceremony with just our family and the Captain. Princess did a great job. To us, it was worth every penny. The tour of the bridge was great as was the trip to the Spa. IMHO

OH - maybe the deluxe package is private? Then I would definitely do the deluxe. I'll have to find out for sure before I start making other plans.

Thank you!

My lovely wife and I (with our two kids) renewed our vows on the Disney Magic. It was definately magical! It was just the four of us with the Captain officiating and a photographer. It is something that my wife and I will never forget. We actually did it on the day before our 22nd anniversary because the Captain can perform the service only when the ship is at sea. The next day was scheduled to be in port, so we did it the day before. Now we celebrate our two anniversaries on July 11th and July 12th. It makes those two days even more special.

I would recommend you do it at sea even if it doesn't fall on the exact date. :)

Where can I get marriage vows that expire and need to be renewed?

Love the idea of an expiration date.:D

Well, rather than marriage, you could go with "handfasting", which is a year and a day commitment, at which time you can choose to part in peace, or renew the relationship. Generally, if you renew it, it is then considered "permanent".

Personally, I think everyone is entitled to a "starter marriage"... after a set period of time (2, 5, or 10 years), you get to sit down, decide if it's working, and if not, a gracious parting is in order. If it is, then you can either decide on another period of commitment (5 years, 10 years, etc.), or make the big commitment for "forever".

I'm scheduled to perform three handfastings in June, and one in August! :p

Both DH and I and my sister and her husband have done renewal of vows on Princess and NEITHER ceremony was a group. In fact, I really wish Princess would update their information on this particular item. I have yet to see an orchid bouquet. Both of ours were roses and carnations -- like a small regular bridal bouquet. Since you'll be on a ship with a chapel, I'm about 99% certain it will be a private ceremony.

I will warn you, however, that the captain chooses the day for the ceremony as they work around his schedule. Usually this is one of your formal nights.

We were fortunate in 2004 to do just the regular renewal of vows on the Coral Princess and got the invitation to tour the bridge even though we didn't pay for it. I believe that was an exception rather than a rule.

Regardless, this is still a VERY good deal and something you'll always remember.

Both DH and I and my sister and her husband have done renewal of vows on Princess and NEITHER ceremony was a group. In fact, I really wish Princess would update their information on this particular item. I have yet to see an orchid bouquet. Both of ours were roses and carnations -- like a small regular bridal bouquet. Since you'll be on a ship with a chapel, I'm about 99% certain it will be a private ceremony.

I will warn you, however, that the captain chooses the day for the ceremony as they work around his schedule. Usually this is one of your formal nights.

We were fortunate in 2004 to do just the regular renewal of vows on the Coral Princess and got the invitation to tour the bridge even though we didn't pay for it. I believe that was an exception rather than a rule.

Regardless, this is still a VERY good deal and something you'll always remember.

I've found that the ceremony actually is individual. How strange that Princess would say it was a group ceremony in their information. I've seen pictures of some people's ceremonies on Princess and they have all been the orchid bouquets. Whatever it may be, it always looks like a wonderful event and I'm sure my husband and I will love it. Besides, just a simple ceremony in Boston would run us about $495 and that doesn't include ANYTHING except the officient. I think we'll stick to the package onboard.

Thanks to all for your information!

Someone wrote a really nice review about vow renewals on this board a few months ago, and I've saved the link since we're thinking of doing the same thing for our 25th anniversary on the Emerald next January. Perhaps this might help you in making your decision:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=683305&highlight=elationismyship

Archived