Which Cruise Lines Go To Egypt?

I am in the early stages of planning a cruise with a stop over in Egypt. I have tried to do some research on the internet, but it is time consuming, and C.C. is such a great resourse with wonderful members, that I though I would ask you guys what cruise lines make a stop in Egypt? Thank-you for your help....Mike

Check Princess, Holland America. There are others

I am in the early stages of planning a cruise with a stop over in Egypt. I have tried to do some research on the internet, but it is time consuming, and C.C. is such a great resourse with wonderful members, that I though I would ask you guys what cruise lines make a stop in Egypt? Thank-you for your help....Mike

More and more cruise lines are adding stops in Egypt. However, depending on the line, they may only offer them a few times a year, so it's a good idea to start planning early.

Princess definitely offers Egypt. There are 2 itineraries. "Egypt and the Aegean" departs roundtrip from Rome with stops in Naples, Athens, Ephesus, Istanbul, Mykonos, Port Said, and Alexandria (allowing an overnight in Cairo if desired). I did this itinerary and really enjoyed it.

The "Holy Land" itinerary varies slightly but usually includes 2 stops in Israel (allowing an overnight) and 2 in Egypt, along with some other ports.

NCL and Costa also offer stops in Egypt on some cruises. I think Royal Caribbean may have some cruises that stop there as well.

:)

RCCL also stops in Egypt with the Legend Of The Seas, round trip from Rome.

We found a great itinerary on the Oceania Nautica for June/July 2009:

Ship: Nautica Sailing Date: June 27, 2009

Day Port Arrive Depart

1 Barcelona, Spain 8:00PM

2 Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

3 La Goulette, Tunisia 8:00AM 4:00PM

4 Valletta, Malta 8:00AM 6:00PM

5 Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

6 Aghios Nikolaos (Crete), Greece 8:00AM 2:00PM

7 Alexandria (Cairo), Egypt 12:00PM 7:00PM

8 Cairo (Port Said), Egypt 6:00AM 8:00PM

9 Haifa, Israel 8:00AM

10 Haifa, Israel 6:00PM

11 Limassol, Cyprus 8:00AM 6:00PM

12 Cruising the Mediterranean Sea

13 Kusadasi, Turkey 8:00AM 2:00PM

14 Istanbul, Turkey 12:00PM

15 Istanbul, Turkey

My interest has been sparked by reading the river cruise reviews of Egypt and the Nile posted on this site. The ocean liners are limited to ports on the coast, however the river cruise boats can do the Nile. If you search some of the other threads for Nile cruises you will find lots of reviews and recommendations for the river cruises if you want a more in depth exposure to Egypt than the large ships can offer.

We just returned from a 35-day cruise on Oceania's Nautica (Hong Kong to Athens) and made two stops in Egypt - Safaga, which is the port for Luxor and Port Said from which you can go to Cairo and Giza. Oceania also has several other cruises on their other ships which stop in Egypt, including stopping at Alexandria, from which you can also go to Cairo and Giza.

We had opted for an overnight tour to Luxor, which included all meals and staying at a 5-star hotel. It was terrific - we saw Karnak's Temple, Temple of Luxor, Valley of the Kings, Medinet Habu and other sites. You should understand that there is a 3-hour bus ride (in a convoy) to Luxor, which is why we opted for the overnight tour - they do have a day trip to Luxor, but it is very long and you don't see everything mentioned above, not to mention that you would probably not stay at each site as long.

Whether you go from Port Said or Alexandria to Cairo, it is also a 3-hour bus ride. There are several tours, the Pyramids, the Sphinx and the Archaeological Museum; the Pyramids, the Sphinx and the Step Pyramid; and a tour to Medieval Cairo which is entirely different.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Helen and Bruce

I'm sailing on the Pacific Princess Athens-Venice Nov 16,2008.

Any info on private tours with an overnight in Cairo and also in Jerusalem?

Any coments on the ones offered by Princess? They seem very expensive and probably will be crowed

Arthur

Archived