Glory Review 5-17-08 Western

NCTribeFan

Welcome back Joan - I was thinking of you - glad you had a great time and managed to (mostly) find your way around - I too love the fish and chips area on the larger ships - esp sneaking up there to eat cuz it is always less crowded upstairs.

Did u ever visit the piano bar? if so wondering what you thought (I usually like to check it out but it also seems to get very smokey very quickly!).

Who was your server in the Emerald club - I also need to practice my russian :D

Hoping you kept a copy of your capers as well and are able to post them!

Off to see your pics!

Thanks for the excellent review!

They never really explained the port switch. Since we were just the 2nd sailing of this itinerary, maybe it was an experimental thing, or maybe the Captain was trying to avoid some weather. We saw some lightening outside during our dinner on Sunday night (I think it was Sunday), and as I said, a lot of people seemed to think the seas were pretty rough, but I didn't, particularly.

I did think the original tinerary showed the segment from Roatan to Freeport as going around the south side of Cuba, but due to the change, we returned the same way we came, around the western tip. Of course, I don't know if those little itinerary maps that you see when booking a cruise are "real" or not or if they're just "for illustration purposes." For me, anything that provides more port time is good.

Froufie: I did a lousy job at getting staff/crew names this time. I'll ask Claire is she remembers. I poked my head in the piano bar the first night, and didn't care for the guy's voice (for me, if you're singing for a living, you should have a nice voice) AND it was terribly smoky. The ventilation system didn't seem to be nearly as effective as it was on Miracle.

Thanks so much for a balanced review. My husband prefers the larger ships and I prefer the smaller (less crowded). It's nice to know I'll be able to find those quiet areas.

We are on the ship in September. Your review has helped us pass the time until we sail.

Thanks for the detailed review. I can't wait - I'm getting married on the Glory in November and the trip will be our honeymoon! It will be my 5th cruise on Carnival and 1st on a Conquest size ship.

I can't wait .....:D I know it's bad to 'wish your life away' but I wish November would hurry up and get here (although I've still got a lot to do for the wedding) ;)

Thanks. One thing I did like was that on Deck 10, you could get loungers either at the rail in the sun, or along the wall in the shade.

And we spent some time sitting at the very back at the dining tables. It was good place to sit and have a cup of tea and read, as long as there was no live music and if you didn't sit under one of the speakers. And you couldn't beat the view!

2840389710102755439S425x425Q85.jpg

Oh, and we did go exploring after we returned to the ship in Freeport and found the "secret" front decks. I was disappointed that there were no deck chairs up there. We absolutely loved that area on our Empress cruise. It was like having a huge private balcony while only paying for a cheapo inside cabin! Of course, if there HAD been chairs out there and I hadn't found them until the last afternoon, I would've been angry with myself for not having found them earlier!

It was a long walk from one end of the ship to the other, but I needed the exercise! We've ALWAYS taken the stairs on every cruise to help offset all those calories consumed, but I confess that we used the elevators fairly often. I'm sure I gained weight this time, which I've always managed to avoid in the past. :(

They never really explained the port switch. Since we were just the 2nd sailing of this itinerary, maybe it was an experimental thing, or maybe the Captain was trying to avoid some weather. We saw some lightening outside during our dinner on Sunday night (I think it was Sunday), and as I said, a lot of people seemed to think the seas were pretty rough, but I didn't, particularly.

I did think the original tinerary showed the segment from Roatan to Freeport as going around the south side of Cuba, but due to the change, we returned the same way we came, around the western tip. Of course, I don't know if those little itinerary maps that you see when booking a cruise are "real" or not or if they're just "for illustration purposes." For me, anything that provides more port time is good.

Froufie: I did a lousy job at getting staff/crew names this time. I'll ask Claire is she remembers. I poked my head in the piano bar the first night, and didn't care for the guy's voice (for me, if you're singing for a living, you should have a nice voice) AND it was terribly smoky. The ventilation system didn't seem to be nearly as effective as it was on Miracle.

How much more port time did you get?? what port or ports did you get the extra time at. Thanks for your information.

It was just Roatan. We arrived at the same scheduled time, but instead of sailing at 3, we didn't sail until 6. That meant we were able to stay at the beach until nearly 3. The traffic was a bit congested in the port area, so it was nice to not have to worry about getting stuck in traffic.

So all the times were the same as initially scheduled other than the departure time from Belize.

I think they should make the change permanent, but I have no idea whether that is feasible or not.

Correction - we arrived at Roatan at 9:30 rather than 8 am, but we sailed at 6 rather than 3, so we had an extra 1-1/2 hours. In Belize, we arrived 1/2 hour earlier than originally scheduled and left 1/2 hour earlier, so our total time there was the same.

I'll try to scan and post the Capers, but I'm not sure I can get that done tomorrow. If not, hopefully I can do that soon, as I know there are people who want to see them for this itinerary.

Correction - we arrived at Roatan at 9:30 rather than 8 am, but we sailed at 6 rather than 3, so we had an extra 1-1/2 hours. In Belize, we arrived 1/2 hour earlier than originally scheduled and left 1/2 hour earlier, so our total time there was the same.

I'll try to scan and post the Capers, but I'm not sure I can get that done tomorrow. If not, hopefully I can do that soon, as I know there are people who want to see them for this itinerary.

please hurry i need my glory fix

the final drwaing from last weeks cruise..I have decided on Glory. #1..location..#2 drive in 4 hours..#3 NOT in Miami #3 7days..#4 not been on Gory #4 Havent been to East Carib in years, altho was in Roatan in Dec, but the Iten will have changed in Jan '09..so thanks for all the Glory info.."just in case" i have to decide when to "go Glory"...lucky

Oops. I left my folder at home with the Capers in it. You know how tough it is to get back to work that first day after a cruise! Still, it won't be too bad since I "have" to leave shortly after lunch to go pick up DD and get her to the airport. Sigh. Wish I could be a World Traveler and not have a job!

Oh well. I promise I'll try to remember to load the capers. Actually, I do have a scanner at home that I haven't used in ages. I'll see if I can get it hooked back up and scan them this afternoon/evening, but it will probably be easier to do from work, as I can scan them into Adobe, and post them day-by-day to Webshots.

NCTribeFan

Thanks for a great review and pictures.I can't wait for my cruise on the Glory again.It will be my 3rd time on it and I am so looking forward to it...counting the days!!:D

I knew I'd enjoy myself, as I was really looking forward to the ports. But I was concerned that the Glory would be too much ship with too many people for my tastes.

And she certainly is a large ship. But other than the few times when lots of people were in one place at one time, she didn't feel any more crowded than any other sailing I've been on.

And there were things I definitely liked about her.

Still, I think the Spirit-class ships may be more my style. The Miracle seemed MUCH less smoky, which is a factor for me. But I did love the Fish & Chips and having a real sushi bar.

It will depend on the itineraries.

It will be interesting to see how I feel about the Fascination after having been on two 7-day cruises on newer, larger ships. I love the Fantasy-class, but wonder if she'll feel small and outdated.

I know. I was seriously disappointed. I'd waited all week, starving myself, just for that one meal. OK, not really. But I really do love Beef Wellington. As we had it on the last night on our Miracle cruise, I was expecting it to be there.

Anyway, THEY'RE POSTED!

http://community.webshots.com/user/NCTribeFan

Sorry they aren't in color. Hope everything is legible. I scanned as PDF files and then saved as jpeg. They look a little blurry, but I think everyone should be able to read them. Enjoy!

So yeah we did Major Tom too...We were on Junior's van, and Jewels/Ed was our guide in the water(not sure of his name, gf said it was Jewels/Julius but he had "ed" tatted on his arm, so who knows). And I agree, this was the best tour I saw. I did see some guide from another group that would run and splash his people every few minutes...they looked somewhat annoyed. I definitely would have been.

As for the itinerary change, some people hated it, some people it didn't bother. I booked online with Major Tom and the night before I left he sent me an email telling me about the itinerary change, so I knew about it before we got there. So, yes they keep up with it.

Sweet review, NCTribe...I may get around to doing one....makes me sad, last Wednesday we were in Belize.

Archived