Just return from Alaska on the Statendam

curlyj

We're leaving for Alaska in about a month. What did you take that you should have left at home? What did you wish you would have taken?

I'm especially concerned about the amount of clothing needed to span from gloves & mittens to short & sandals. How heavy of a jacket did you need? I guess it may be warmer by the time we go, but who knows? Our weather here in Missouri seems to bounce daily between 40 and 80 (but I don't have to live out of a suitcase here!;) )

Clothing wise I wore most of what I took except a couple warmer sweaters. I wish I would have taken a more comfortable pair of evening shoes, (but that's just my vanity), and maybe another pair of capris.

For cold weather I never took a bulky winter jacket, just a shell, and under that a fleece jacket and under that a vest and then a long sleeved shirt. This was for the coldest times. When you go it will probably be a bit warmer. I never used my thick ski gloves (only leather driving gloves) and never used a toque or scarf. I just wore a head band (ear muffs)

You can easily buy a thicker slippery/fleece lined reversable jacket in your first port of call if you think it is necessary. They have them everywhere. $20.

One thing I forgot to add to my review was the week we were on they did the Philipino Crew Show. It was something like a talent show. They alternate weeks, and the following week it will be the Indonesian Crew Show. It was late at night tho, and not too many people in the audience. Also in Glacier Bay they brought two park rangers on board to give seminars and narration while at the glacier.

Archived