Leaving 14 year old on Ship

lizboyle

My 14 year old DS is not interested in trailing round Florence etc. Does Carnival let teens stay on the ship or organise anything for them to do on port days? If so,do you think it is safe to leave him on the ship? He is very sensible and has cruised 6 times in the past but we have always taken him ashore with us.

My 14 year old DS is not interested in trailing round Florence etc. Does Carnival let teens stay on the ship or organise anything for them to do on port days? If so,do you think it is safe to leave him on the ship? He is very sensible and has cruised 6 times in the past but we have always taken him ashore with us.

What would happen to him if you were involved in an accident onshore and could not reboard before sailing?

i don't know about activities. i don't allow any of my kids to stay on the ship - they go with us. they are 15, 20 & 23 now. they were 11, 16 & 19 last time we cruised. middle child would not snorkel, so she did stay on the excursion boat, but not the ship.

Yes I have thought about all sorts of things and really feel unhappy about leaving him but just wanted to know how others would feel. I will be taking him with me even if he protests, which is a certainty.

My kids don't have a choice. If I go, they go. Whether they like it or not. They usually end up having a good time. It's kinda like church, they hate going, but it doesn't kill them.

Since he could check himself out of Camp Carnival and for the reason, that is something happened you could not get to him or vice versa, I would not leave him. Regardless of how mature he is, is IS only 14.

My rule is you came for a family vacation and that means you spend the time with at least one of the parents... besides Florence of all places, so full of history and art...Nope he would be coming with me. Try to pick something during that day he WOULD like too. Maybe check out Rick Steves books on Art and History of those places to give him a sense of why it is such an important place....

Nancy

I would be worried about something happening to YOU and what would happen if you didn't make it back to the ship! I'd definitely take him, but maybe he can bring a book, or take pics with his own camera, etc.! Good luck! He may not be happy about having to go with you, but it will bring YOU peace of mind!:)

We've let our daughter stay on the ship AT CAMP CARNIVAL as early as 4yo. There's never been a problem. And we've never missed the ship either, we're overly careful to get back on the ship a full hour before sailaway. I don't think I'd let her stay on the ship if she weren't at camp, as she gets older we'll have to figure out how to deal with that. Hopefully she'll be more and more interested in visiting these places.

A 14 yr old doesn't get to decide. You're paying to take him to Europe and let him experience the city, be exposed to the culture, maybe pick up some of the flavor of the language, hopefully gain some insight into the history, art, archtecture, and you'd let him decide to just hang around on the ship and play video games? I know, it isn't obvious that any of that would sink in, but trust me, some of it will. A 14 yr old doesn't get to decide. With the perspective of looking back in the rear-view mirror, I'm very glad I can share what I saw & did on the trips my family was able to take when I was a kid, instead of talking about the time Mom & Dad let me hang out instead of seeing a new place. A 14 yr old doesn't get to decide, or have I said that already?

Only you know your son best.. Is he the type of 14 yr old that looks 18 or does he still look 12? I ask this because children can be vulnerable to crazy older teens and adults.

Would you let him wander a big city alone? Its basically the same environment...

Just a thought

Personally I think you'd be crazy to let your 14 year old miss out on Europe, but that's just my opinion. Ultimately you know your kid better than anyone here so you need to make this decision yourself.

You may want to let your 14 year old help pick out an excursion there that he would enjoy. Carnival may also offer some teen excursions that could be available there where a "group" of teens take an excursion. It is really a once in a lifetime chance to do this so make sure all of you enjoy what ever you decide.

I truly feel your pain. I'd take him with you. I agree with the posters about "family" vacations. I also remember when I was 14 and my family went to Washington, D.C. I grumbled, complained and made an ass of myself for days prior to this trip. I wanted to stay home with my cousins on the Potomic. You know how the story ends. To this day, this day remains one of my most precious memories and I thank heavens my family made me go along!

And, I will say I would also take him because of all the "what if's".

Donna

We are very family orientated and we has visited most of the ports and done most of the excursions at one time or another. He is 14 going on 44 and is now at the stage he wants to do things with friends. I know Carnival have organised excursions for teens but to me that's just the same as us going off and leaving him. I think for peace of mind he will just have to endure yet another museum or two.

I would consider it. My 13 year old is very responsible but my 12 year old isn't so it would depend on the child. I would go over the rules. I would check the daily schedule and talk to the counselors. I would also make sure we each have a cell phone so if I did break my leg and miss the ship I could let him know or if not at least check on him. On the other hand I would hate for my child to regret later on that he missed a chance to tour Europe and would try to talk him into going with us.

A 14 yr old doesn't get to decide. You're paying to take him to Europe and let him experience the city, be exposed to the culture, maybe pick up some of the flavor of the language, hopefully gain some insight into the history, art, archtecture, and you'd let him decide to just hang around on the ship and play video games? I know, it isn't obvious that any of that would sink in, but trust me, some of it will. A 14 yr old doesn't get to decide. With the perspective of looking back in the rear-view mirror, I'm very glad I can share what I saw & did on the trips my family was able to take when I was a kid, instead of talking about the time Mom & Dad let me hang out instead of seeing a new place. A 14 yr old doesn't get to decide, or have I said that already?

I would consider it. My 13 year old is very responsible but my 12 year old isn't so it would depend on the child. I would go over the rules. I would check the daily schedule and talk to the counselors. I would also make sure we each have a cell phone so if I did break my leg and miss the ship I could let him know or if not at least check on him. On the other hand I would hate for my child to regret later on that he missed a chance to tour Europe and would try to talk him into going with us.

The OP lives in Scotland. I doubt that touring Europe is as big of a deal for them as it would be for those of us that live in the US.

I say go with your gut instinct. If you feel a little nervous about leaving your child on board then listen to that feeling and don't do it. He'll be mad, but one day he'll get glad again. You're the parent, it's your call not his. ;)

First, My own children visited many museums. It was definitely not their idea to go, but I think they benefited, however unwillingly.

They think that it is normal to have been to every battlefield and house museum and ruin along the way.

Second, unless he was in some supervised activity from which there was no way to "wander" I would spend the day worrying.

Third, My 20 year old DD and her friend wanted to "do something on their own" in Nassau last summer.

What they did was get back to the dock 8 minutes too late.

It was very stressful for DH and I.

I would not wish the fears that run through a parent's head on anyone.

We've let our daughter stay on the ship AT CAMP CARNIVAL as early as 4yo. There's never been a problem. And we've never missed the ship either, we're overly careful to get back on the ship a full hour before sailaway. I don't think I'd let her stay on the ship if she weren't at camp, as she gets older we'll have to figure out how to deal with that. Hopefully she'll be more and more interested in visiting these places.

:eek:

Without a doubt either stay onboard or find something to compromise on in port. Surely there will be fun things to do in port and still see some of the stuff you want to see.

I have to agree here. If they are over 18 then they can make some choices, but until then, you decide.

I would never leave my kids on board, you just never know what could happen. I agree with the above posters in that you are the parent and they're the kid. Until they're 18, you get to make the decisions and they have to live with them.

We have never left the boys on the ship while we did an excursion.

We have left them on the ship when they were older ( 16 and 13) while we shopped close to the port IF the ship was docked....never if it was tendered.

Only you know what your child can handle. If someone did an excursion and the teen stayed on the ship, my only requirement would be that it is a SHIP excursion. That way you are in touch with the ship at all times.

I'd like to leave my 14 year old on the boat....Permanently. (Did I say that out loud?). :D.

I say bring'em. Family vacation means Family Vacation even if it turns out like any one of National Lampoon's versions.

Archived