question for experienced cruisers

I would like to take a 12 day European cruise from London, with my husband, on a tight budget. I figured the cruise and airfare is about $5200.00. We will be getting off the ship in every port but we don't drink and are not shoppers. Our plans are to sightsee, eat lunch and maybe an occasional dinner out. What kind of budget do you think we would need each day? I was thinking about $200, is that even close to enough? Are there any other expenses I would need to consider? Also what is the best month to go?

You should probably indicate where this cruise would be going. Baltic cruises differ some from Mediterranean and England/Ireland/Norway type cruises.

And are you from the UK? or will you be arriving via plane to London? depending on your comfort level with making it to the ship in time after a flight, you may want to consider a hotel in the London or port area before and/or after the cruise. Of if you go directly to/from the ship to/from the airports, you'll want to plan for transportation costs there. Hotels in London can be more expensive than some other cities.

Also, while you will get off the ship in each port, are you comfortable in doing your own thing? or will you need to book a tour to feel comfortable in your sightseeing. There are costs there. Some cities are easier done "on your own" than others. Some will require transportation expenses on your part as the port may or may not be very near sightseeing venues.

If the ports are more "on your own" friendly, and you don't have to pay much money for a tour or transportion, then $200 a day would seem more than enough for the average day in town. And on a 12 night cruise, probably 3 or 4 of the days are "at sea", so you won't be spending as much money on those days -- unless you're a bingo addict.

We would be flying in from the US. I would be afraid of a delayed flight so we would probably fly in the day before. Do people take the chance of flying in the same day? Is that something we should consider? I am looking at the Carnival Liberty (Northern European) which stops in Denmark, Germany, Finland, Russia, Estonia and the Netherlands. We are not afraid to sightsee on our own and do plenty of walking if it is recommended in certain ports.

To cut costs, I always never hesistate to book a cheap cabin in favor of shore tours. In Russia tours are necessary, so budget for that.

I'm on a 12 day cruise out of Southampton, and my cruise and air price are "only" $3800, for 2. So maybe you have some potential for some price savings??

If you haven't - transfers are added expenses, tours, tips, souveniers, I think overall probably $200 is a low estimate. I am one to get the most out of my travels, getting off the ship and enjoying the ports, doing touring. I most always go independent. Figure out what touring is a priority for you and go from there. Walking tours can be very enjoyable. :)

We're doing the budget Baltic cruise in July on the Splendor and we're at around 8k so far (5200 cruise/air) with airfare, cruise, London hotel (1 day pre-cruise) transfers to/from Dover, private excursions in St. Petersburg and Berlin (you can't get off the ship in Russia w/o a Visa unless your on a tour and Berlin in 2-3 hours away from Warnemunde), tips, tix to Anne Frank house and pre-paid double-decker bus tour tix for London.

So if it's just 200 for the days your in ports where you can wander around it's probably enough but you need to budget more for the pre-cruise day, the transfers and for St. Petersburg and maybe Germany if you want to go to Berlin.

Hope that helps.

Dawn

You should certainly arrive the day before. No matter what!

In addition, you should figure at least double ($400/day) so that you can not worry if the expenses go over. There are always tips to porters/touor drivers/and other personnel. Europe is very expensive and you might want to be thrifty, but it's difficult.

In Russia, you will need to take formal tours and that's an additional cost. Rick Steve's book on the Baltic has great walking tours. But don't forget, after a day of walking, one might want a taxi back to the ship.

We just did the Baltics for much less than $200 per port stop (except Russia - the 2 day tour was $350/person, but it is a must do in my opinion). I pre-purchased the city cards in Oslo, Copenhagen and Stockholm. They were all roughly $40 - $45 per card and covers admission in to all (99%) of the museums and your public transport. We usually just had a light snack in port during the day to get us by since there was tons of free food waiting for us on the ship (maybe take a granola bar or something with you). The Baltics are very expensive - a meal could cost the equivalent of $80 USD or more. We usually took out the equivalent of $40 from a local ATM and never even used half of it, but we are not shoppers either. Just found a spoon for my collection and that was it.... The other ports in Germany and Helsinki, we just bought the single day transport pass for about 6 Euros each. It all depends on your priorities.

Jacky why don't you let us know what cruise - what cruise line and where you are flying from. There are a lot of bargains out there and I am sure we can give you some good tips. I would forget about having dinner out - the ships food is great so if you are on a tight budget put the money towards tours. Also we can help you out recommending private tour companies which are usually cheaper but at least a much better deal than the ships tours. Let us know what you are planning and we can go from there.

I would like to take a 12 day European cruise from London, with my husband, on a tight budget. I figured the cruise and airfare is about $5200.00. We will be getting off the ship in every port but we don't drink and are not shoppers. Our plans are to sightsee, eat lunch and maybe an occasional dinner out. What kind of budget do you think we would need each day? I was thinking about $200, is that even close to enough? Are there any other expenses I would need to consider? Also what is the best month to go?

The first note is that your cruise will be from Dover (75 miles SE of London). However, you should be able to do this quite easily. My recommendations;

• Fly in a day early. Also, it's easier to get from Gatwick to Dover than from Heathrow, so if you get a choice....
  • Take coaches or trains for transfers vs the cruise line transfers or taxis. They'll be a lot cheaper
  • Stay in Dover, find a Bed and Breakfast (B&B) online. It'll be 1/3 the cost of staying in London.
  • At ports of call, take the local bus system to get around and see the city, not the cruise line tours.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't already have one, you have time to open a Starwood Amex card. You would at least have the points to do a cash and points hotel at the London airport which would cost you less than $100 and a few points. I checked there as we are taking the Liberty crossing in April 09, but we decided to get off the ship early and stay over in Paris. We are doing cash and points for a Paris hotel. This fall we are also going to Rome. I used up some remaining Hilton points for a free hotel night at the Hilton Rome airport. I was a few points short so parted with some AA miles to get enough. There always seem to be ways to save money. Good luck.

Everything always costs more than you plan. That's why they say to take half the clothes and twice the money that you think you will need! Judy

Archived