Flight Question.

XCruiseMe17

Hey everyone, I have a quick question about flight times. As I am searching for airfare I see that there aren't to many options for me.

The Flight Im interested in is Aug 31st from Chicago to Miami we arrive in Miami at 11:27am on the cruise sailing day. Do you think that I would have enough time to get my luggage and make it onto the boat on time? First time cruiser here, so dont make fun! =) Thanks in advance.

I, along with most others here I'm sure, would HIGHLY recommend flying in on saturday the 30th and getting a hotel room for the night. There are way too many horror stories of folks flying down the day of departure and not making the boat due to delays. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable arriving close to noon on departure day, especially with airlines being as unreliable as they are these days.

I totally agree. On our last 2 cruises out of Miami, we had beautiful flying weather in NY, and our planes STILL took off with over a 2 hour delay. That would cut it way too close for me, also. We always fly in the afternoon/evening before. It is worth it for dh and I to take a 1/2 day off, pull the kids from school, and pay for a hotel for the night and make sure we miake the ship!

Are you wanting to fly out of O'Hare or Midway? I'd trust it more if it were Midway, but even then, I'd fly in the day before. If you are unable to fly in a day early for whatever reason, and IF everything goes according to plan, you will have enough time. However, I fly often enough to know you can't depend on the airlines - I always fly in the day before for my cruises. I've been stuck at the airport one too many times to risk my cruise.

Are you wanting to fly out of O'Hare or Midway? I'd trust it more if it were Midway, but even then, I'd fly in the day before. If you are unable to fly in a day early for whatever reason, and IF everything goes according to plan, you will have enough time. However, I fly often enough to know you can't depend on the airlines - I always fly in the day before for my cruises. I've been stuck at the airport one too many times to risk my cruise.

We would be flying out of Midway. My friends are scared of weather delays. I dont really feel like going one day early to Miami, but if its going to make or break my cruise then I might as well.

I would highly recomend that you fly in the day before, especially since it is hurricane season. We were cruising the day after Charley hit Florida. If we had not been there we would have missed the ship. The airports were closed on Friday at 2pm and did not open until late Saturday afternoon. It was a ghost ship, but sailed and we were there. Some met up with the ship in Key West, but that was only because the cost guard gave special permission. In fact we had been in Florida since Tuesday and rode out the storm at WDW. We would never fly in the am of departure day, and always use direct flights from BWI.

I've been held up due to mechanical issues, no flight crew because the previous flight was delayed so they would go over hours if they flew, air traffic control, supposed weather issues (my flight was the ONLY flight that wasn't taking off - all others were taking off, including the Denver to Atlanta route I was on), verifying the weight of the plane was ok, etc. So many things can mess up your flight schedule, and the airlines just don't care. Your friends want to go in a day early - do it. You can have a little fun in Miami, get a decent sleep that night instead of having to get up at the crack of dawn to make your flight the morning of the cruise. You can have a relaxing breakfast, get to the port early (I've sailed the Valor twice - boarded at noon the first time, 11:00 the second), board early, and start to enjoy your cruise instead of rushing around, potentially getting stressed out due to delays, and being exhausted by the time you make it on board. Another bonus - if there are any luggage issues, you have a much much better chance of getting your luggage before the cruise if you leave the day before.

Go the day before if at all possible. There have been numerous people who have posted on here who have missed or almost missed their ship due to weather delays, mechanical problems, etc... I've had weather delays when the weather was beautiful just because there were problems in the plane's originating city.

Another Vote for the Day before.....Way to much Money to risk as well as aggravations

If you look through some of the past threads here you will find people who left two days or three days before there cruise and barely made it ....and some that did not make it........

I agree with other posters arriving a day early is ideal...However, if you can't...the arrival time (11:38) should provide you with a buffer even for a delay. Assume 30 minutes from touch down till you get your bags and plan on 30 minutes to get to the pier (might be less )...but you need to factor in traffic and security. If you arrive on time you will probably arrive at a decent time just missing the early rush. By all means take a cab... Carnival transfers aren't worth the hastle and you will be delayed longer waiting for a full bus and coordination of passengers from other flights.

Play it safe and fly down the day before your cruise. This will leave time for missed flights, cancelled flights etc. Not a bad way to start your vacation too. It gives you time to relax and get your bearings before your fun filled week.

I agree with everyone. Last year, we booked a flight from Chicago to Jacksonville. There was only one flight that got us in around 1:00. We got so freaked out by hearing the horror stories, that we changed out flight (had to pay extra) to go out the day before. Got in really late, but at least we got a decent night sleep before we went to port. This year we ARE booking the day before.

Hey everyone, I have a quick question about flight times. As I am searching for airfare I see that there aren't to many options for me.

The Flight Im interested in is Aug 31st from Chicago to Miami we arrive in Miami at 11:27am on the cruise sailing day. Do you think that I would have enough time to get my luggage and make it onto the boat on time? First time cruiser here, so dont make fun! =) Thanks in advance.

Theoretically, yes. In fact, a good percentage of flights are delayed. The flight could arrive in Miami on time....only to find there are no open gates so you sit on the plane for a while until one opens up. Tropical weather in Miami can delay incoming flights...

Do yourself a favor, go the day before. If you miss the ship, you are out all the money....with no recourse. Spend $80-100.00 for a room and board the ship in a good mood.

Most experienced cruisers would never depend upon an airline to get them to the cruise port in time.....most of us go the day before.

Save the hassle come in a day early. Working as an agent I have seen many times people pull up 5 minutes too late.

Hi Pamela...coincidence that you posted this question....DH & I are leaving from Miami in October...I originally booked airfare to arrive at MIA the day we cruise at 10:20am, ship leaves at 4:00pm....after reading other threads and listening to other posters I decided to change our flight to arrive a day early....It cost me a $200 penalty fee to switch from Sunday to Saturday...Our last cruise, we left from San Juan....plane landed around 1:00pm and ship sailed at 10:00pm...that's a very big window for error so we felt save about that decision...however, a 4-6 hour window freaked me out...

Whatever your decision is please make sure it's final cause the $200 penalty fee sucked:(

Happy Cruisin'

Hi! Sorry to kind of change the subject but what would be a safe time to schedule a return flight? It seems like everyone agrees that flying in the day before is the best thing to do but I'm a little nervous about the return flight. I have heard some people say that debarktion can take a long time.:(

If I remember correctly everyone should be off the ship around 11:00ish...

Our past 2 cruises we booked flights for late afternoon...had plenty of time...to sit at the airport...LOL

I've read posts where people fly out late morning w/o problems...

personally comfort zone for me is late afternoon.

We are staying overnite in San Juan in October...one the flight was over $150 cheaper to fly out next day and the hotel were staying at was only $135 and we have been to San Juan twice and never had a chance to tour it..

Good Luck in your decision and Happy Sailin':)

I also vote to arrive a day early. We booked our flights for Miami yesterday, and because we are flying in a day or two early, we saved around a thousand dollars. Play around with the dates before you book, to see what the rates are.

Good luck

Luanne

As far as a return flight, it depends on the port. However, I wouldn't book a flight for earlier than 1 or 2. Last time our flight didn't leave Tampa until about 4 p.m. and we just went over to the Florida Aquarium and went through and sat watching the ship until we had to go to the airport. I figure, why rush off the ship and make more stress for myself after a nice vacation?

I agree with having a pre-night - too risky re: potential flight cancellations or rescheduling. This way, you still have time to get another flight, even if it's a red-eye.

You definitely don't want to miss the cruise!

If it's at all possible, fly in the day before. There is plenty to do in Miami...stay at the Holiday Inn there and you can walk across the street to the Marketplace with lots of stores and eateries. That is much better than stressing over whether or not you're going to make your cruise...especially at that time of year!:eek:

We just cruised on May 11 and flew in from Cleveland the same day. Flight was to leave at 8:30 AM and left five minutes early. We were at the cruise terminal at 11:30 AM and eating buffet at 1:15 PM. It couldn't have gone any smoother and I used to think people were paranoid for flying in the day before, especially in nice weather. That said, our flight was delayed two hours going home! If that had happened on the way there we still might have made the ship but would have been freaking out. Now we probably will fly in a day early next time.

Archived