Two full days in Vancouver-can I do it all?

Of course, I know that I won't make a dent in my list of things to see and do, but this is our first trip to Vancouver and we just want to get an overview of the city...so help me figure out how to accomplish this...

Here's what I'm thinking...

First day, trolley tour with definite stops in Stanley Park and Granville Island.

Second day, ferry to Victoria, tea at the Empress and visit Buchart Gardens.

Actually we'll have 1/2 day on our arrival date that I'm not counting.

We're staying at the Marriott Pinnacle, leaving after these days on our Alaska cruise.

Help me with suggestions to add to my list to maximize our time.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Of course, I know that I won't make a dent in my list of things to see and do, but this is our first trip to Vancouver and we just want to get an overview of the city...so help me figure out how to accomplish this...

Here's what I'm thinking...

First day, trolley tour with definite stops in Stanley Park and Granville Island.

Actually we'll have 1/2 day on our arrival date that I'm not counting.

We're staying at the Marriott Pinnacle, leaving after these days on our Alaska cruise.

Help me with suggestions to add to my list to maximize our time.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Sounds like you have things pretty well organized. With your half day you may want to condsider a walk in the Gastown Area, about 15 min. east of your hotel and/or a walk on Robson Street, 10 mins south of your hotel where there are many fine shops and restaurants. If you do go to Gastown you could stop at Harbour Centre and go up on their viewing tower which will provide you with some great views of the city. While on your trolley tour you may find other spots or attractions that you will want to go back to visit.

Are you leaving from Victoria, or just wanted to make it a day trip? You need to budget approx 4.5 hours each way to journey from Vancouver to Victoria.

If you go to Victoria, skip tea at the Empress and have it at Butchart's instead. Their tea is cheaper, nicer (in my opinion) and would save you quite a bit of time as it's a 30 minute drive from the Gardens to the Empress, then you would have to find parking, etc.

If money is no object, I highly recommend taking a floatplane at least one of the ways to Victoria. It cuts down on travel time considerably, and is a beautiful trip. Most of the operators even offer packages that include the gardens. If you are driving, think about pre-paying for reservations on the ferry, as they do get quite busy and it sucks to have to wait for the next sailing because the one you had planned on was already full! If you get time, consider walking around the seawall either in the Coal Harbour or English Bay neighbourhoods - the seawall is by far my favorite thing about Vancouver!

I think we'll be ok in Vancouver for things to do...and I really hesitate to include Victoria in this brief stay, but I think I'll be sorry if I don't go to Buchart Gardens at the least...

Floatplane, hmmm, that's an idea, but I was under the impression that the ferry ride to Victoria from Vancouver was only 90 minutes...am I wrong?

We can't spend 4.5 hours going and coming from there! Only have the day to spend sightseeing, etc.

I can forego the tea at the Empress, opting to have it at Buchart Gardens since time will be limited...

HELP! Should we book an organized tour of Victoria and the gardens or will we be ok on our own?

Jennifer

Yes you are correct and yes you are wrong - while the actual ferry ride is only 90 minutes you have to get to the ferry terminal which is located a good 45 - 60 minutes out of Vancouver and then get to the Gardens on the other side is a good 30 minutes IF you don't have to go back into downtown Victoria first - a day tour is the most feasible and less stressful way to go - let the tour company worry about making the ferry and driving to the Gardens etc.

If it is a nice sunny day the trip through Active Pass where the ferries usually meet is a photographers delight and a great memory of the trip.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

So, if we are going to maximize our time in Victoria, the floatplane idea is the best...fastest way to get there, etc...

Hmmm, I'm rethinking our approach to that day now...

Thanks, all, I'm glad I asked for opinions...

Jennifer

I think we'll be ok in Vancouver for things to do...and I really hesitate to include Victoria in this brief stay, but I think I'll be sorry if I don't go to Buchart Gardens at the least...

Floatplane, hmmm, that's an idea, but I was under the impression that the ferry ride to Victoria from Vancouver was only 90 minutes...am I wrong?

We can't spend 4.5 hours going and coming from there! Only have the day to spend sightseeing, etc.

I stated 4.5 hours just so you were prepared, and understand the journey you're undertaking. I did the Victoria -> Vancouver commute every weekend for 4 years, so I was well practised. I could do it in just under 4 hours and then only by parking my car at the terminal, walk on the ferry and have someone pick me up at the other end (which reduced any problems of the ferries being full for cars and you could arrive 15 mins before departure)

Assuming you're driving yourself;

Vancouver -> Tsawwassen Ferry terminal: 40 mins (assuming not rush hour)

Wait at terminal: 30-120 minutes (depending on how busy it is)

Crossing: 100 minutes

Swartz Bay -> Victoria (downtown): 30 mins

On a bad day, holiday weekend etc, it could take longer w/o a reservation. The ferry cost for two people + car + reservation is about $75 in each direction. You can save $15 if you want to do it without a reservation, but weekends/summer there could be up to a 4 hour wait for the ferry.

Another option are the various bus tours which are a lot easier, and about $50-75 return from Vancouver. It'll probably work out a lot cheaper than taking a car on the ferry, and the bus will be guaranteed a spot on the ferry.

A 3rd option is depart from Victoria on your final flight. Victoria has an airport (YYJ) with non-stop service to a number of cities (including Seattle and San Fran)

So, if we are going to maximize our time in Victoria, the floatplane idea is the best...fastest way to get there, etc...

Hmmm, I'm rethinking our approach to that day now...

Thanks, all, I'm glad I asked for opinions...

Jennifer

There are two floatplane services that offer regular service from Vancouver' harbour to Victoria's harbour. The flight time is about 35 mins in either direction and the fare is about $250 pp rtn. Here are their websites for your convenience. I always used to fly West Coast Air but they and Harbour Air are a pick'em.

www.westcoastair.com

www.harbour-air.com

We did this from Seattle, but I would think you could do the same from Vancouver. It was an all inclusive tour that included the ferry to Victoria, the trip out to Butchart's Gardens and back, and the ferry back. We left at 6am and returned at midnight. But, from Vancouver it should be a shorter day. We also had a couple of hours of free time in downtown Victoria.

You're right to see Butchart's Gardens. I've been four times, but that is a bit excessive. :D When we go to Victoria now, we usually spend the day at the British Columbia museum, which is fantastic and always has changing exhibits. It is across the street from the Empress Hotel and Parliament buildings.

The float plane trip to Victoria is an amazing experience. We have lived in Vancouver all of our lives and just found the time to get there by float plane last year. Wow!

However, being realistic, you have a short amount of time to spend in the area and too much travel will ruin it all.

On your first day, think about coming over to West Vancouver (a short trip over the Lions Gate Bridge). I'm not just saying this because I live here, but it is beautiful. We have a wonderful seawall that goes from 17th and Marine to 25th. This would be a nice walk, and at the end of the walk is the BeachHouse Restaurant right on the waterfront. A nice place to have an early dinner (they might even have a special from 5-6pm). You can watch the cruise ships sail out between 5 and 6.

If you have a car you could drive up to the upper reaches of the hill to look at the stunning homes overlooking the city.

Have a great trip.

West Vancouver sounds delightful. Now I wish I had scheduled at least one more day in Vancouver before our cruise. There is so much to see and do! Maybe I need to start working on a return trip shortly!

Jennifer

Archived