Carnival Food: Good, Bad, Other?

I was just reminded about a cruise with Carnival. It was on a Canadian sailing and the food was just awful. I was wondering if this was a "bad sailing" for food, or has anyone noticed that the food quality has gone down.

I am hoping this was just a fluke. I did write a letter of complaint to the President of Carnival. About 3 mo later someone from the President's office responded with an apologetic letter. My husband just reminded me about this incident. This was a while ago, but what has been your experience?

Wow, that's disappointing huh? Well, we have only cruised Carnival so I can't compare it to any other cruise lines, but we have always really enjoyed the food. Especially the dinners in the dining room. The buffet food is fine-nothing extra special but good. Oh, we did have a panini grill on one of the cruises and the sandwiches were so yummy! The desserts are always my favorite!!

I've only ever sailed Carnival (3 times). HOnestly, i've never been impressed with their food. It's decent though.

Do you eat in the dining room in the evenings? I'm just surprised. I mean it's no Ruth's Chris but we've always thought it was very good.

I have sailed on four different cruise lines, sailed Carnival four times and I think the food on Carnival is near the bottom compared to other cruise lines. That's not to say it's bad but it's not great. I don't think it's possbile to prepare 1,500 great meals at one time. That being said, I was surprised during my cruise earlier this month that one night macaroni and cheese was served in the formal dining room one night and french fries another night. Keep that stuff on the buffet!

Food on the Glory in May was the best we've had in all our cruises.:D DW loves getting chocolate melting cake each night. Wish RCI offered this. Actually, I think that the food on Carnival is getting better, while some posters think some of the other lines the food quality is going down.

Do you eat in the dining room in the evenings? I'm just surprised. I mean it's no Ruth's Chris but we've always thought it was very good.

Yep, we eat in the dining room every night. Thats one of my fav parts of the cruise experience lol. But nah, our table wasnt impressed with the food (except my husband who loves everything). The desserts were great though.

food can be subjective-- what can be good for one could be terrible for another.

What it comes down to is expectations- You have some first time cruises that will be "expecting" 5 star cusine.. but remember this food is being cooked enmasse and served the same way---

if your expectations are lowered-- then the food cant be all that bad.

I have yet to have terrible food--

Cruise food has always tasted like typical big banquet hall, wedding reception type food to me and that's probably because it is being made in mass quantities. I noticed a slight difference between Carnival and RCL in that I like RCLs food better but that could be a fluke or coincidence as I haven't cruised that many times.

Yea..I been on several cruises on different ships. That particular cruise had really bad food...the worst. It was my last Carnival experience. I was just hoping that it was a fluke. I cannot believe, as one poster stated, they served mac and cheese??? Are you kidding me? I don't expect 5star cuisine EVERYTIME, but mac and cheese is a bit cheesy (no pun intended).

Anyway...I just hope that the food is at least doable. It was plain disgusting last time. We found ourselves living off of grilled sandwiches by the pool. The people that we were sitting with at dinner were experienced cruisers and agreed it was bad. Oddly enough, when we got off the ship we heard a bunch of people talking about how good the food was...hubby and I just looked ay each other. I wonder if people confuse A LOT of food with good food. Like I said...I am just hoping for the best.

Its all personal taste. I thought the food we had on the Carnival Victory was the best we've had on any cruise line. And another year later the Liberty was tied for worst place along with Royal Caribbean.

Again, it's all subjective.

• 2 weeks later...
Its all personal taste. I thought the food we had on the Carnival Victory was the best we've had on any cruise line. And another year later the Liberty was tied for worst place along with Royal Caribbean.

Again, it's all subjective.

Personal taste is right! I know someone who thinks the Olive Garden is the BEST Italian food ever!! LOL I'm from NY which has THE BEST Italian food so I'm a little biased, but give me a break...Olive Garden, the best??? Too funny! I've always enjoyed the food on Carnival but it does get old after a few days.

I have been on carnival, princess, and RC. In my opinion carnival is the worst. RC is the best. What I mean by that is carnival had the basics hamburger/fries hot dogs, buffet foods. RC and Princess was more exquisite with their entrees. I prefer RC. I am getting married on the carnival and the only reason for that is because its cheaper. I guess you get what you pay for.;)

I have been on carnival, princess, and RC. In my opinion carnival is the worst. RC is the best. What I mean by that is carnival had the basics hamburger/fries hot dogs, buffet foods. RC and Princess was more exquisite with their entrees. I prefer RC. I am getting married on the carnival and the only reason for that is because its cheaper. I guess you get what you pay for.;)

I agree with you, the food on Royal is much better!

Get what you pay for? Haven't you noticed? People want MORE than they pay for these days! I'd love some more gas... ;)

on Royal you pay to eat those hot dogs and hamburgers.. so yes-- they better be better. But i found the food on the voyager to be on par with any carnival cruise i have taken-- and the burgers were free at the time at Johnny Rockets. I found Princess to be above the foods I have tried= Not counting the specialty places. We ate in the dining room once on Princess since the food at the cafe was so good.

Archived