hotels in beijing, shanghai/jewish tours

Hobar

we are on SS next March and flying to HK for two days, Beijing for 2 and Shanghai for 1.

any hotels you suggest for BJ and SH?

we have stayed at the peninsula in HK and will go across the harbor this time but we are looking for a luxury hotel in BJ and shanghai?

also,Shanghai was a refuge during WWII that welcomed Jews fleeing Europe and understand there is a small community. same with Kobe, Japan.has any ever taken tours that look at this history or any general tours you would recommend?

We recently got back from a China cruise. In Beijing we stayed at the Shangri-La. It is 5 star plus and was the hotel that the cruise line used. I recommend it highly. In Shanghai, if you are interested in touring the Jewish Ghetto and learning about the history of the jews during WWII the tour to take is Shanghai Jews. It was fascinating. Go to Shanghai-Jews.com for more information.

Jay

In Beijing (as I suggested on another thread) check out the Peninsula. Really terrific. In Shanghai you need to decide if you want to be in the Business area called Pudong, in which case the St Regis is a great bet. On the Puxi side, where all the sights and shopping are I would say the best bet is Le Royal Meridien, although there is also a Portman Ritz Carlton, not quite as well located.

Hobar,

In my reply to you yesterday, I was pressed for time and did not have much time to elaborate on Shanghai Jews. Dvir is an Israeli journalist who has been researching the Shangai Jewish experience during WWII and has been doing these tours for some time now. It was fascinating. He really has researched the subject and brings it alive. We were on a Crystal cruise and while they offered their own tour of the jewish ghetto, I don't think it came close to Dvir's. We felt like we were reliving the experiences of the jewish people in Shanghai at that time. If you are really interested in this subject, Dvir's tour is the only way to go.

As to my hotel recommendation of the Shangri-La, I suppose a lot depends on what part of Beijing you want to be in although quite frankly, I don't know that it really matters that much since taxis are so inexpensive. This trip was my first exposure to the Shangri-La chain. We also stayed at the Hong Kong Shangri-La in Kowloon. I am impressed by this chain and will not hesitate to stay at any of their hotels in the future.

Enjoy your trip.

Jay

• 1 year later...
Hobar,

In my reply to you yesterday, I was pressed for time and did not have much time to elaborate on Shanghai Jews. Dvir is an Israeli journalist who has been researching the Shangai Jewish experience during WWII and has been doing these tours for some time now. It was fascinating. He really has researched the subject and brings it alive. We were on a Crystal cruise and while they offered their own tour of the jewish ghetto, I don't think it came close to Dvir's. We felt like we were reliving the experiences of the jewish people in Shanghai at that time. If you are really interested in this subject, Dvir's tour is the only way to go.

As to my hotel recommendation of the Shangri-La, I suppose a lot depends on what part of Beijing you want to be in although quite frankly, I don't know that it really matters that much since taxis are so inexpensive. This trip was my first exposure to the Shangri-La chain. We also stayed at the Hong Kong Shangri-La in Kowloon. I am impressed by this chain and will not hesitate to stay at any of their hotels in the future.

Enjoy your trip.

Jay

Hi jssabs. Can you tell me how many people were in your group and how much you paid per person. thx

we are on SS next March and flying to HK for two days, Beijing for 2 and Shanghai for 1.

any hotels you suggest for BJ and SH?

we have stayed at the peninsula in HK and will go across the harbor this time but we are looking for a luxury hotel in BJ and shanghai?

also,Shanghai was a refuge during WWII that welcomed Jews fleeing Europe and understand there is a small community. same with Kobe, Japan.has any ever taken tours that look at this history or any general tours you would recommend?

Try the Langham Hotel. We were at their resort in Pasadena. They bought the Ritz, wow.

We recently got back from a China cruise. In Beijing we stayed at the Shangri-La. It is 5 star plus and was the hotel that the cruise line used. I recommend it highly. In Shanghai, if you are interested in touring the Jewish Ghetto and learning about the history of the jews during WWII the tour to take is Shanghai Jews. It was fascinating. Go to Shanghai-Jews.com for more information.

Jay

Jay

Sorry to go off subject, but your first person I've seen mention the Shangri-La on CC. We are staying there in a couple of weeks. It seems a bit far from central Beiijing. Did you have any trouble getting around on your own. Also are there any restaurants nearby

Any info appreciated

Archived