Canada $ question

Hi -

We are going to several Canadian ports on our upcoming cruise. Can anyone in these cities tell me if I need Canadian dollars, or if US dollars will be accepted in:

Sydney

Corner Brook

St. Anthony

St. John's NF

Thanks very much for any assistance!

-Liz

We are going to several Canadian ports on our upcoming cruise. Can anyone in these cities tell me if I need Canadian dollars, or if US dollars will be accepted in:

Sydney

Corner Brook

St. Anthony

St. John's NF

While the US$ (worth slight less than a Canadian dollar) is widely accepted at most tourist locations, it technically isn't legal tender so you're not guaranteed it will be accepted in Canada. Also, the exchange rate given by a tourist shop may not be as good as your bank or credit card provider either, as it leads to a lot of extra work for the merchant (again, as it's technically not legal tender and the merchant must have it exchanged).

My recommendation is stick to paying with your credit card, and/or go to your bank and get some Canadian dollars. A third option is visit a bank machine and take out some Canadian dollars when you arrive at a port.

Also note, that the smallest banknote in Canadian circulation is the $5 bill, $1 and $2 are coins in Canada.

I probably won't get any Canadian currency for our 1-night pre-cruise stay in Vancouver before an Alaskan cruise. However, I will get Canadian currency for our Canada cruise in October that goes to 4 Canadian ports.

I probably won't get any Canadian currency for our 1-night pre-cruise stay in Vancouver before an Alaskan cruise. However, I will get Canadian currency for our Canada cruise in October that goes to 4 Canadian ports.

I can't answer for east coast ports but no you do not need it in Vancouver. We are close enough to the border that the US greenback is quite acceptable. Keep the denominations under $20 as you will likely get you change in Canadian funds and some places may charge you exchange as they have to take it to the bank and incur exchange fees.

USD will be readily accepted by most merchants, change will be in CAD, since most merchants don't have USD cash on hand. The USD is currently slightly below par, but expect merchants to give you 90c on the dollar. (They pay a bank fee to deposit and exchange USD, and they need to pass it on to you.) Many stores will have a sign posted with their discount rate for USD.

Bring small US bills if you want to buy small things and not have to charge them to your credit card. For larger amounts use your credit card. ATMs also dispense CAD. You can also use direct payment debit card (called Interac in Canada) if your bank is part of the NYCE network. This probably offers the best exchange rate. Capital One offers the best exchange rate for credit cards.

Archived