Airline Reservations and HAL Cruises

sirarthur

I just booked an European "cradle of civilization" 14 day cruise (Athens - Turkey - Israel - Egypt - malta - Naples and ending in Rome) It is not scheduled until October 2009. I booked on-line but did not request airline reservations because I would like to extend my trip by staying a week in Athens before we embark and a week in Rome after the trip. Will HAL allow you flexibility regarding arrival and departure dates and if so, is it too late to add it to the cost of my cruise.

Its called an "Air Deviation" they will work with you but there is a price. It used to be $50 , but that was years ago. At that time you could request a certain airline (if the company had a contract with them) and you could request to arrive earlier or depart later. Some of the lines prices on overseas flights (especially to and from different airports) can be very good. Domestically we always book our own.

Yes, sometimes the cruise line's fare is a good deal. Other times it isn't. Check what it would cost you if you booked your own fare. There's some advantage to booking through the line if something goes wrong with your flight(s) as the line will make alternate arrangements to get you where you need to be. But we each have to ask ourselves if the cost is worth the potential risk.

United allows the most advanced purchase I am aware of- 330 days before the flight.

...as do most of the majors. Budget carriers like Southwest, AirTran, Jet Blue, etc. normally don't allow booking more than a few months out. This is easy to check on their websites.

Bob

Archived