What Will You Do If Formal Nights Are Discontinued?

RevNeal

If Holland America Line discontinues all Formal Nights, you will:  

348 members have voted

1. 1. If Holland America Line discontinues all Formal Nights, you will:

• Quit HAL
    • Continue to cruise HAL and dress for Formal Night
    • Continue to cruise HAL and dress for Formal Night while also cruising other Lines
    • Dance a jig on the topless deck (wow!)
    • Start cruising HAL because of the change
    • Cruise HAL even more

A couple of things - DH and I always celebrate our anniversary on a cruise; sometimes it's 6 months early, sometimes 6 months late, but when we do we get dressed in our formal wear and go out for dinner, usually to the Pinnacle. Secondly, we both enjoy dressing in formal wear - we don't have a lot of opportunities here to dress formally so we like to have the opportunity to do so on our cruises. That being said, even if HAL decides to discontinue Formal nights we will still bring along our formal attire so that we can celebrate in grand style in our finery.

We enjoy sailing with HAL because of the itineraries, the ships and the crew, but if they start mainstreaming too many things, I'm sure we'll look at other lines and see what they have to offer. Will HAL care? Likely not, but if we tell two friends and they tell two friends and they tell two friends . . .

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

First, let me say that I do pack a long gown for formal nights and my husband rents a tux so we do dress up. However, we pick our cruises for the itineraries and it wouldn't matter to us if there were no such things as formal nights. We would not base our decision to cruise on a certain line just because of the formal night. Frankly, we are trying to pack lighter each trip so not having to pack formal wear would be just fine with us.

I feel the same way.Dressing up on fomal night is the least of reasons why I cruise.

If I am the only person with a tux on I feel out of place(sorry but thats how I feel) The number of tuxes is rapidly decreasing (thats a fact). Remember, you cannot stop the tide.

PS we are looking at 10 day back to backs on the Noordam in January (including the cruise of the 23rd) I PROMISE I will bring my two tuxes ----- have to compete with those who are going white tie.

I understand the attitude ... I truly do. Fear of sticking out like a sore thumb used to govern my attitude as well. It's still there, lurking in the background, but I refuse to allow how other people act and react govern my enjoyment or how I want to dress.

As for your Noordam cruises in January 2009 ... there will be a group of us on that cruise that enjoys the festivities of formal night attire, etc. Even if HAL is only "Optional Formal" by then, or whatever, I can't see us not making our own formal nights. :) Even though there's not going to be a formal night on the first 3-day pre-cruise of the Eurodam (from Rotterdam to Copenhagen), the CC group aboard (nearly 100 of us) are going to have one of those nights as our own "Formal Night." :)

Well, I hope Seattle isn't watching because the result - so far - of this poll will give them some excellent feedback that doing away with formal "ain't no big thing" to the vast majority, at least here on "their" CC board:

A whopping 95 will remain with HAL, start cruising with HAL or cruise even more with HAL! 25 Will dance a jig (unk if they are already cruising with HAL)

36 more will remain with HAL while also cruising on another line and only a measely 13 will say goodbye to HAL

Come on now, Rev. You and I both know why HAL calls it a suggested instead of a required dress code

You're evading the language. Many times we have seen the term "required" in the daily program when it comes to jacket and tie on formal night. For example:

formaldress1.jpg

And, the Code itself uses the words "not allowed" regarding shorts and t-shirts, among other things, on any evening. Now, that they don't enforce it consistently is not in question. They don't. Indeed, they usually turn a blind eye to egregious transgressions of the "suggestions" on many/most occasions. However, (and this is the point), there are plenty of reports of the staff enforcing that "suggested" dress code in the Main Dining Room. Notice the contradiction there? "Enforcing" a "suggested" dress code???? Yep. We've had several reports of this, on this board, happening aboard the Veendam very recently. Try telling someone who has been barred from the Main Dining Room for not dressing according to the code (for just lacking a tie!) that the code is just a "suggestion."

All of this points out my biggest problem with the entire Dress Code issue ... it is treated as an "optional set of suggestions" by many Maitre D' in the fleet, and yet it is treated as if it were a "required dress code" by others. Please, HAL, pick one or the other ... but stop waffling in-between.

If HAL did away with formal nights, I wouldn't dress formally on any night. Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the point? The ambiance of a formal evening would not exist. I'd be a sore thumb, and I wouldn't feel it was a special evening at all.

Perhaps it might depend upon what the group you're with is doing? With 100, or so, fellow CCers in your group (as in aboard the Eurodam), you might feel different? No? A bunch of us are talking about making one of those evenings on the 3-day prelude cruise into a "CC Formal Night" even though the Line is calling all three nights Smart Casual.

November 07 was last time. Seriously, I have never noticed a "cell phone" on a ship at sea. I've seen people use them in port. Oh well, I guess I'll be able to witness one of my favorite pet peeves in the future. I really think rudeness has taken on a new meaning when it comes to "cell phone usage" :mad: .

:)

Let a cell phone go off in the Choir at a quiet moment during the middle of the Eucharist. ;) That happened in Church last Sunday, and I thought the Choir Master was going to burst a blood vessel. I was kinda of busy at the moment -- what, with chalice elevated -- so I didn't see everything that happened in the Choir ... all I know is that the ringing was quickly silenced. But it was a very embarrassing moment, I'm sure, for the person with the phone.

There is always a bright side to nearly every quandry. If HAL does do away with formal nights - think how much time all of you will gain, especially Rev. Neal:) , by not having to debate the question every day on the CC Board.

With the time you'll save, the elimination of formal nights could add years to your life! You could probably even squeeze in another cruise. The possibilities are endless. And, of course, if the craving gets too bad there is always Cunard or Crystal.

LOL ... actually, I was thinking about this earlier. If HAL does this, will there will be a decrease in Dress Code debates? Or, will it just shift to other people whining about other things? Possibily. I have no idea. Thanks for singling me out, though. :)

[/b]And if smoking is banned, what else would be left to talk about on CC? Smuggling booze on board?

Kids in the aft pool sans parental supervision.

Saving seats in the show lounge or near the pool.

Tipping

Smuggling booze aboard

Topless Deck attire

.... just to name a few.

Well, I hope Seattle isn't watching because the result - so far - of this poll will give them some excellent feedback that doing away with formal "ain't no big thing" to the vast majority, at least here on "their" CC board:

A whopping 95 will remain with HAL, start cruising with HAL or cruise even more with HAL! 25 Will dance a jig (unk if they are already cruising with HAL)

36 more will remain with HAL while also cruising on another line and only a measely 13 will say goodbye to HAL

Essentially, an accurate analysis. And, thus far, the results are pretty much what I expected they would be. However, I would have expected that you would hope that Seattle is paying attention.

One interesting note ... 79 people say that they would keep dressing up even if there was no code. 81 people gave answers which imply that they either wouldn't be dressing up or would be joining the line because dressing up would no longer be required. That's an interesting division.

You're evading the language. Many times we have seen the term "required" in the daily program when it comes to jacket and tie on formal night....................................

I'm not evading anything. Anytime you put "suggested" in front of your dress code, it doesn't take an Einstein to figure out that there will be folks who will take it just like that. Even if you put "Jacket required" somewhere else, it will contradict the "suggested" part and it will give folks the impression and the ammunition that it's no big deal if they don't follow the "suggestion."

I agree with ya on the fact that "enforcing" the dress code on HAL is inconsistent, no doubt. If you're going to have a dress code, then enforce it. If you're not willing to do that, then don't have a dress code

If you're going to have a dress code, then enforce it. If you're not willing to do that, then don't have a dress code

I wholeheartedly agree! But we both know that will not come down from Seattle for fleet-wide implementation.

LOL ... actually, I was thinking about this earlier. If HAL does this, will there will be a decrease in Dress Code debates? Or, will it just shift to other people whining about other things? Possibily. I have no idea. Thanks for singling me out, though. :)

Oh I always single you out Rev. After seeing some of the pictures you've posted, how could I not?:)

I'm not evading anything. Anytime you put "suggested" in front of your dress code, it doesn't take an Einstein to figure out that there will be folks who will take it just like that. Even if you put "Jacket required" somewhere else, it will contradict the "suggested" part and it will give folks the impression and the ammunition that it's no big deal if they don't follow the "suggestion."

I don't disagree ... that is, indeed, how those folk who are already prone to finding perceived loopholes will respond. They even do it with such direct language as "not allowed." It doesn't help that the Line allows it to happen; if they didn't, the perception of the loophole would quickly vanish.

It never occurs to them to consider the possibility that what is "suggested" are the items recommended for dress and not the code itself. I'm reminded of what a Maitre D' told a fellow seated behind me once ... I couldn't help but overhear since the man got rather irate during the course of the conversation. The Maitre D' had just finished informing the man that it was Formal Night; he "suggested" that the gentleman might want to return to his cabin to put on a jacket and tie. The man responded with a bellicose "but I thought that was just the suggested code!" The Maitre D's response was "Tuxedo or suite is suggested, sir. Jacket and tie are what is required."

I agree with ya on the fact that "enforcing" the dress code on HAL is inconsistent, no doubt. If you're going to have a dress code, then enforce it. If you're not willing to do that, then don't have a dress code

100% agreement. I'd rather HAL do away with the code than maintain the ambiguity that causes this kind of consternation. HAL wants to try and maintain a certain kind of atmosphere, but they also want to grow their passenger base and make money. IF they could do both, they would. They've tried. They're not succeeding. So, god-dollar will win (it's a business, so it should win). If they will get rid of the "not allowed" phrase in the code when it comes to shorts and t-shirts during the evening hours, and stop printing the "required" word in Daily Programs when it comes to jacket and tie for gentlemen, the contradictions in the code vs. its implementation would vanish and it would be entirely "suggestive." As it stands right now, however, it is neither.

Don't misunderstand me (as if anyone could). I don't actually want the dress code abolished. However, the current situation just makes for consternation and rank ambiguity; I don't find either relaxing or enjoyable.

Oh I always single you out Rev. After seeing some of the pictures you've posted, how could I not?:)

Why, thank you! :) I have, indeed, been blessed to be in the "right place and the right time" and to photograph some wonderful sights: the awe inspiring and glorious beauty in the desolation of Antarctica, the soul soaring energy and life that is Rio, the rugged definition that is the Horn, the engineering brilliance that is the Panama Canal, the relaxed natural beauty of HMC. It's been a pleasure to share those sights with others, on this board and on my own website.

Thanks! :)

:)

Let a cell phone go off in the Choir at a quiet moment during the middle of the Eucharist. ;) That happened in Church last Sunday, and I thought the Choir Master was going to burst a blood vessel. I was kinda of busy at the moment -- what, with chalice elevated -- so I didn't see everything that happened in the Choir ... all I know is that the ringing was quickly silenced. But it was a very embarrassing moment, I'm sure, for the person with the phone.

A few years ago I was at a Jewish funeral when a cell phone went off playing 'Hava nagila'.

If HAL did away with formal nights, I wouldn't dress formally on any night. Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the point? The ambiance of a formal evening would not exist. I'd be a sore thumb, and I wouldn't feel it was a special evening at all.

I agree with you, Jim. Besides, for us, the formal nights or lack thereof are not a deal breaker...not when there so many other "pluses" concerning HAL: the ships, the service, the food (most times), the general ambiance overall.

I love dressing up, and I would hate to see shorts, tank tops and baseball caps in the dining room, but Smart Casual is OK with me when I think of all HAL has to offer.

And, we could save some space in the luggage w/o the beaded jackets and DH's suit! He always wears a navy blazer to the ship, and that would be all he'd need.

I didn't vote because none of the options applied to the way I feel.

I'd be very sad if HAL did away with formal nights because I would worry about the downward spiral of the dress attire that will appear in the dining room. I no longer wear formal gowns, but I do wear beaded tops and jackets. If everyone wore smart casual, that would be OK with me, but I fear that there are always people who want to rebel and if smart casual is the dress code, they will push for shorts and t shirts in those beautiful dining rooms and then HAL wouldn't enforce the smart casual.

Greg:

I've read every one of the comments here, and I can see why there is so much controversy over your OP. I wonder what kind of response you would have gotten if you had posed your original question differently.

Instead of asking: "What will you do if "FORMAL" nights are "DISCONTINUED".... perhaps you could have directed your question toward those who prefer CASUAL:

"What will you do if HAL decides to continue its traditional "FORMAL" nights....and will "STRICTLY INFORCE" this dress code on all HAL ships....without exception....for the entire evening...as well as ALL OTHER designated dress code requirements.

"Would you stay with HAL...or move on to another Cruise Line that has gone strictly CASUAL?"

The question seems to be directed toward those who prefer "FORMAL." (Including me) But, why not ask it of those who prefer CASUAL instead?

I think we are all letting HAL OFF THE HOOK for not using clear language here. Terms such as "SUGGESTED" apparently only confuses things. They should bite the bullet...and "tell us" in no uncertain terms....if they expect people to adhere to the codes. (Whatever they may be) Then, everyone can decide for himself (herself) if HAL is their Line of choice.

Inforce it....or drop it....but DO SOMETHING, and make it clear to the point that it cannot be misconstrued. But right now, they have us all on the fence. People just want to know "up front" what to expect.

Those who like to dress up would like for HAL to merely INFORCE the code. Those who like a CASUAL cruise would like to have FORMAL eliminated. Since it is causing problems, HAL should straighten this thing out, so that its customers will be happy. The way things are now, both sides are dissatisfied. MAKE THE CALL HAL!

Del

Greg:

I've read every one of the comments here, and I can see why there is so much controversy over your OP. I wonder what kind of response you would have gotten if you had posed your original question differently.

Instead of asking: "What will you do if "FORMAL" nights are "DISCONTINUED".... perhaps you could have directed your question toward those who prefer CASUAL:

"What will you do if HAL decides to continue its traditional "FORMAL" nights....and will "STRICTLY INFORCE" this dress code on all HAL ships....without exception....for the entire evening...as well as ALL OTHER designated dress code requirements.

"Would you stay with HAL...or move on to another Cruise Line that has gone strictly CASUAL?"

The question seems to be directed toward those who prefer "FORMAL." (Including me) But, why not ask it of those who prefer CASUAL instead?

I think we are all letting HAL OFF THE HOOK for not using clear language here. Terms such as "SUGGESTED" apparently only confuses things. They should bite the bullet...and "tell us" in no uncertain terms....if they expect people to adhere to the codes. (Whatever they may be) Then, everyone can decide for himself (herself) if HAL is their Line of choice.

Inforce it....or drop it....but DO SOMETHING, and make it clear to the point that it cannot be misconstrued. But right now, they have us all on the fence. People just want to know "up front" what to expect.

Those who like to dress up would like for HAL to merely INFORCE the code. Those who like a CASUAL cruise would like to have FORMAL eliminated. Since it is causing problems, HAL should straighten this thing out, so that its customers will be happy. The way things are now, both sides are dissatisfied. MAKE THE CALL HAL!

Del

You know, Del, I think you're right! Perhaps I'll start a second poll along your lines! :D Or, you can do it (certain personages would be less prone to dump on me and spin suggestive innuendo if someone else did it).

That said, my reason for wording it the way I did was that it followed along with the multiple threads and rumors that were being sparked on this board at the time. :) However, value might be had in posting the poll a different way.

Archived