Portland and Kids

strawberrygirl

I know it is a nice Children's museum and I am sure there is something for every age group, but how about something outside?

You could go to Portland Headlight in Cape Elizabeth...would be maybe 15 min drive by taxi or cruise ship excursion. There is a beautiful lighthouse comissioned by George Washington - I think it is the oldest working lighthouse in US. You could fly a kite there with the kids (like the locals), there are forts to explore and big fields to run in. A small rocky beach where they could hunt for shells or intersting rocks.

You could take a ride on Casco Bay ferry out to one of the islands in Casco Bay. It's very cheap and Peak's Island is very close by. It's a commuter island so the ferry runs at least every hour. Some take cars as well. The kids would like that. Maybe you can rent bikes on the island - not sure. If so, it's 6 miles around the island. I like to walk it. There are some cute lunch spots right on the waterfront. There is also the Mailboat Run on the ferries where you stay on the boat and then watch them drop off the mail at each of the islands. Takes a couple of hours, I guess. The price for the ferries is pretty cheap.

I wonder if you could take them lobstering for a half day. Some places in Maine have excursions that you can get to go out lobstering and watch the lobstermen pull up their lobster pots. Check out the Portland Chamber of Commerce on the web.

Just a few suggestions. Portland is a great city. It's fun to just walk around the Old Port and waterfront.

I know it is a nice Children's museum and I am sure there is something for every age group, but how about something outside?

You could go to Portland Headlight in Cape Elizabeth...would be maybe 15 min drive by taxi or cruise ship excursion. There is a beautiful lighthouse comissioned by George Washington - I think it is the oldest working lighthouse in US. You could fly a kite there with the kids (like the locals), there are forts to explore and big fields to run in. A small rocky beach where they could hunt for shells or intersting rocks.

You could take a ride on Casco Bay ferry out to one of the islands in Casco Bay. It's very cheap and Peak's Island is very close by. It's a commuter island so the ferry runs at least every hour. Some take cars as well. The kids would like that. Maybe you can rent bikes on the island - not sure. If so, it's 6 miles around the island. I like to walk it. There are some cute lunch spots right on the waterfront. There is also the Mailboat Run on the ferries where you stay on the boat and then watch them drop off the mail at each of the islands. Takes a couple of hours, I guess. The price for the ferries is pretty cheap.

I wonder if you could take them lobstering for a half day. Some places in Maine have excursions that you can get to go out lobstering and watch the lobstermen pull up their lobster pots. Check out the Portland Chamber of Commerce on the web.

Just a few suggestions. Portland is a great city. It's fun to just walk around the Old Port and waterfront.

Here are some links:

www.maineguide.com/portland

www.portlandmaine.com

www.cascobaylines.com

We are thinking of taking the afternoon Mailrun if the weather is nice, as a way of being on the bay and seeing the islands. I realize we won't be able to get off, but will we pass a lot of interesting/pretty things? Have you done the Mail Run? Do you think it might be better to go to one island and get off? How long does it take to get to Peak Island? We only have from 2-6, as we want to see downtown Portland in the AM and then have lunch. I'll be with my husband and two boys 14 and 20. Thanks for any advice.

We are thinking of taking the afternoon Mailrun if the weather is nice, as a way of being on the bay and seeing the islands. I realize we won't be able to get off, but will we pass a lot of interesting/pretty things? Have you done the Mail Run? Do you think it might be better to go to one island and get off? How long does it take to get to Peak Island? We only have from 2-6, as we want to see downtown Portland in the AM and then have lunch. I'll be with my husband and two boys 14 and 20. Thanks for any advice.

Yes, I have done the mailboat run numerous times. You will pass by all the islands and I think it's great sightseeing on the ocean and along the Bay. I would choose that if the timing fits. There is a 2:15 PM run. Takes only 15-20 min to go by ferry to Peaks. It takes 3 hours.

I did find this regarding bike rentals for Peaks: Rent a bike from Brad or Wyatt and take a lovely ride around the island. Open 7 days a week 10 am - 6 pm through the summer. Take a left on Island Ave. to find us. 115 Island Ave Tel: 207-766-5631.

Mailboat Run 3 hrs.

DAILY

June 14 to Labor Day:

10:00 AM and 2:15 PM

Also 7:45 AM Monday - Friday

September 2 to June 14:

10:00 AM and 2:45 PM

Adult: $13.00

Senior/Disabled: $11.50

Child: $6.50

See route map

An integral part of our island communities, the Mailboat Run carries passengers, freight and mail to the islands of Casco Bay. As the longest-operating service of its kind in America, this tour is a wonderful way to see the sights of the bay while the Mailboat tends to the business of providing supplies to the islands.

Have fun!

Thanks! Those are great ideas :) Do you have any restaurants that you would recommend (or stay away from)? Generally we like to try what the locals enjoy and avoid franchises.

Not sure how old your kids are, but (and this is for tourists, but I like it and locals go there, too) there is always Dimillo's Floating Restaurant on the waterfront. It's a ferry or boat that was converted to a restaurant. I'd ask to be seated up on top and from there you have a great view of the harbor. You can get just about every kind of seafood - steamed, fried, grilled-whatever. Probably a separate kids menu with all the normal kid things. It's a nice place to hang out and the kids could see a lot from up there.

You won't really find any chain restaurants along the waterfront, anyway. It's pretty unique.

Our tentative plans for our one day in Portland are:

11:15-12:30 Mainely Trolley

12:45-2:00 DiMillo's Rest

2:15-4:45 Mail Run

Thanks for confirming I've made good choices. Now all we need is good weather, sunscreen, water, and sweatshirts, and I think we'll have a wonderful day in Portland. I am really looking forward to seeing a little bit of beautiful Maine, and getting the heck out of hot Florida for a little while this summer.

PS The link to the map was so helpful. I must have missed that when I was on their website. It puts the trip into perspective. Thanks again for being so helpful.

Another thing in Portland that IMHO Is great for kids is the train that goes along the bay from near the port... can't remember exactly what it's called but boys especailly love trains! And theh have a small museum. did that as a last minute "hour to kill" thing and it was fun.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

We have 2 boys 8 and 12 and are looking for ideas of things to do in Portland. Is the children's museum more for younger kids? We are already planning to kayak in Saint John and tour with Diver Ed in Bar Harbor. Thanks for any ideas.

Did you book the kayaking in Saint John through the cruiseline or independently? It you booked it independently, can you give me details and the tour operator's name? We were booked on a kayaking excursion throught RCCL but received an email today that the tour operator has canceled the excursion. I'd love to book kayaking independently.

a freind of mine -lives near Portland did ont like the floating resturant so i never tried it. but i know there is some great restaurants in Old Port and some good shopping. maybe the boys would give you an hour or less there. plenty of red Sox stuff there too.

a freind of mine -lives near Portland did ont like the floating resturant so i never tried it. but i know there is some great restaurants in Old Port and some good shopping. maybe the boys would give you an hour or less there. plenty of red Sox stuff there too.

I don't like it either. My favorite restaurant is Amigos but I'm sure you're not looking for Mexican in Maine, lol. I love the Lobster Shack out at Cape Elizabeth. It has got to have one of the most beautiful views in Maine. You can eat outside on the picknic tables overlooking the lighthouses, rocks and the crashing ocean or inside.

Here's a pic of the view. I found it online. It's not us!Two-Lights3-copy.jpg

We go a few times to the Village Cafe for Italian each summer and it's fabulous.

I love the Old Port Sea Grill on Commercial St. The fish is fresh and the raw bar is one of my favorites. There are many fantastic places to eat in Portland. Enjoy!

Also you can get tons of Red Sox, Patriots and our newest world champs...the Celtics gear all over the city.

• 2 weeks later...
RedSoxfan11 - The Village Cafe closed and the building was razed :( . It was a favorite of mine, too!!

No! First the one of the Newicks was closed down and now the Village Cafe! What's Portland coming to, lol. I am heading up to Maine next week and will have to find a new favorite Italian place. My parents live in OOB so I'm sure they can lead us in a new direction.

• 2 weeks later...
Another thing in Portland that IMHO Is great for kids is the train that goes along the bay from near the port... can't remember exactly what it's called but boys especailly love trains! And theh have a small museum. did that as a last minute "hour to kill" thing and it was fun.

It's the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad, located less than a mile from the ship. In the past the train was able to come right along Commercial Street and pick up really close to the cruise ships, but with all the waterfront development, they've lost that length of track. Great place for young kids and train lovers.

Our tentative plans for our one day in Portland are:11:15-12:30 Mainely Trolley

12:45-2:00 DiMillo's Rest

2:15-4:45 Mail Run

Be sure to let them know at DiMillo's you're on a tight schedule - lunch time is busy on a cruise ship day and unless you tell them up front you've got a Casco Bay Ferry to catch, may find yourself still sitting at your table instead.

• 1 month later...

This is a belated thank you to "Takemewithyou" for the great suggestion of going to Peaks Island. My family and I took the commuter ferry from Portland to Peaks Island. We rented bikes at Brad's Bike Rental and rode around the island. It was beautiful! The kids loved climbing on the rocks on the beach (lots of cool tide pools, parts of sea creatures, amazing views, etc.) After the bike ride, we at the Inn at Peaks Island and looked around at bit. It was cool to see the lobsters being brought in as well as getting a tour of the little lobster shack (I saw the biggest lobster claw ever!). All in all one of our favorite stops on the cruise, and we had time left to walk around Portland and shop too:)

This is a belated thank you to "Takemewithyou" for the great suggestion of going to Peaks Island. My family and I took the commuter ferry from Portland to Peaks Island. We rented bikes at Brad's Bike Rental and rode around the island. It was beautiful! The kids loved climbing on the rocks on the beach (lots of cool tide pools, parts of sea creatures, amazing views, etc.) After the bike ride, we at the Inn at Peaks Island and looked around at bit. It was cool to see the lobsters being brought in as well as getting a tour of the little lobster shack (I saw the biggest lobster claw ever!). All in all one of our favorite stops on the cruise, and we had time left to walk around Portland and shop too:)

Thanks so much for posting this! I am glad you had a great time at Peak's. It's a great place. All of the islands in Casco Bay are great! :)

Archived