The Sun to South America

Hi Has anyone done the South America cruise from Argentina to Chile or vice versa? It looks really interesting and I am considing it for March of 2009. I compared it to other cruise lines, and the Sun seems to have more ports than some of the others. Any comments would be appreciated.

Bobbi

My wife and I are booked on the March 29 , 2009 cruise .We would really appreciate any information on weather,ports, costs etc. I have done some research and am getting "cold feet" on some of the extra costs and the flights . We live in Alberta and it is going to be a long plane ride .:mad: The excursions are now available on the NCL site and when you look be prepared for sticker shock . However since it will be a once in a lifetime trip we will very likely suck it up and go. The Sun is/was a very nice ship with a wonderful crew. We did the Panama Canal(17 days) and enjoyed it .

We are on the Sun from Santiago to Los Angeles April 12th, right after you get off. We are also from Alberta and are facing a long plane ride but know it will be worth it. We are booked American Airlines non-stop to Dallas and then non-stap to Santiago arriving around 9:00 a.m. When we went to Europe last year we bought something called "No Jet Lag" from Pipestone Travel and BELIEVE IT OR NOT, we had NO JET LAG. It is an herbal supplement that you take every 2 hours while flying. Also found excursions to be expensive but also feel that it is a once in a lifetime trip (especially Macchu Pichu!!). Also, it is my 60th birthday present -- the ship departs Santiago on my birthday! If you get the chance, post a few messages while you are on board.

My wife and I are booked on the March 29 , 2009 cruise .We would really appreciate any information on weather,ports, costs etc. I have done some research and am getting "cold feet" on some of the extra costs and the flights . We live in Alberta and it is going to be a long plane ride .:mad: The excursions are now available on the NCL site and when you look be prepared for sticker shock . However since it will be a once in a lifetime trip we will very likely suck it up and go. The Sun is/was a very nice ship with a wonderful crew. We did the Panama Canal(17 days) and enjoyed it .

For some weather info go to http://www.*****.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=28556 then scroll down to you see the ports, click on each port scroll down and you will see temps and precipitation. Do this for each port. hope it is of some help.

We're considering South America in late 2010 with some friends. I started doing research on what there is to do in the ports and on tour operators and got some sticker shock reading the prices. Between that and airfare, we're going to need to do some saving up for this one.

You'll want to check the port times for all the South America cruises--sometimes they list a "port" when it's really just a 2-hour cruise-by of something scenic (i.e., Cape Horn). Not singling NCL for this, all the lines seems to do that for this itinerary. So, check to make sure NCL really does have more port calls and not just more scenic viewings.

From what I've seen, price on NCL seems to be among the best for this itinerary.

Hi Has anyone done the South America cruise from Argentina to Chile or vice versa? It looks really interesting and I am considing it for March of 2009. I compared it to other cruise lines, and the Sun seems to have more ports than some of the others. Any comments would be appreciated.

Bobbi

hey Bobbi...we booked this cruise for March 15. Bit the bullet, so to speak. And I agree about the ports. We wavered back and forth on the dates and finally got a really, really good deal on the 15th so that settled that!!! And we got an aft balcony! I figure this way..I will be able to see twice as much for the same price. :D I don't know if that is true since we have never had an aft balcony but I can dream!

We did the Buenos Aires to Santiago run last December, but on the Dream. It was a great trip. You will go through three seasons - summer, spring, and winter - so take appropriate clothes. It was in the 80's in BA and Montevideo, below freezing at the Cape, and back to the 80's in Santiago.

The seas were relatively calm and I heard of nobody getting seasick, but I did see a lot of patches behind the ears.

The airfare is a killer, but the price is worth it. One of the few cruises I know where you sail through three Oceans - Pacific, Antartic, and Atlantic. Our ship stopped and picked up a piece of ice that had calved off of an iceburg and drinks that night were cooled by ice that was reputed to by hundreds of years old.

You will see glaciers, magnificent fiords, and beautiful coastlines. Besides - getting out of Alberta during winter (March is still winter there -isn't it?) is worth it - especially if you are anywhere near Edmonton.

I am booked on the Sun 2/15/09 Santiago to Buenos Aires. So those of you sailing after I will have info when I return.

I have read there is a $100 cash payment that needs to be paid when arriving in Chile at the Airport. Geez.

You are right about excursions. They are costly. I am considering the Antarctic Landing. It is $2,499!!!! For a 11 1/2 hours... but when will I ever have that opportunity???

Also, I understand the distance between Santiago (airport) and Valparaiso (the pier) is about 75 miles. A taxi can run over $100.

Last year I used NCL for my transfer from the hotel in Miami and I was very unhappy at how late we arrived at the pier. When we finally got onboard tired, hot and hungry the Garden Cafe was virtually picked clean and they was rounding us up for lifeboat drill. In the past I had always arrived super early, so in Valparaiso I will just have to spend more momoney to insure I get there early like I like to.

From what I hear, this is a tricky pack - 85 degrees or so at the start and finish and cold as 40 below in Antartica. Lot of layering.

I have also heard it is a photographer's dream.

wernew2cruising:

I also have an aft on the Sun, on 2/15. I am in 9276. I will post how it was after I return. This is my first aft cabin and my second with a balcony. I think I will like it.

I am booked on the Sun 2/15/09 Santiago to Buenos Aires. So those of you sailing after I will have info when I return.

I have read there is a $100 cash payment that needs to be paid when arriving in Chile at the Airport. Geez.

You are right about excursions. They are costly. I am considering the Antarctic Landing. It is $2,499!!!! For a 11 1/2 hours... but when will I ever have that opportunity???

Also, I understand the distance between Santiago (airport) and Valparaiso (the pier) is about 75 miles. A taxi can run over $100.

Last year I used NCL for my transfer from the hotel in Miami and I was very unhappy at how late we arrived at the pier. When we finally got onboard tired, hot and hungry the Garden Cafe was virtually picked clean and they was rounding us up for lifeboat drill. In the past I had always arrived super early, so in Valparaiso I will just have to spend more momoney to insure I get there early like I like to.

From what I hear, this is a tricky pack - 85 degrees or so at the start and finish and cold as 40 below in Antartica. Lot of layering.

I have also heard it is a photographer's dream.

We had friends that also signed up for the Antartic landing, but it was cancelled becuase not enough people were willing (or able) to pay the $5,000 a couple for the trip. At least on our cruise, there was a minimum number that had to sign up for the trip. They were extremely disappointed as it was to be the highlight of their trip. If you haven't, you might want to check out if there is a minimum requirement for your trip.

We're booked on Sun Dec 21 Santiago to Buenos Aires. Xmas and New Year.

We know the airfares are killers but we have AAdvantage miles to use.

It's another of our "lifetime" trips and the other of our extremes (the first one was Arctic Circle - 3 times) and DH says while we are able to, do it!

SailorJack: you were such an inspiration when you wrote that brilliant review - I read in its length and loved it. Especially "we rear-ended the Suzuki Grand Vitara" b/c we have lots of these cars on the roads in Bermuda and they are huge and we hate 'em. I mentioned parts of your review to my DH and he still said go ahead and book. Hopefully our cruise will be more uneventful than yours!

Although Antarctica is still on our list of to do before we die, we are not interested in taking the NCL's Antarctica Landing tour - we'd rather wait until we actually nab an Antarctica cruise -- one year.

SailorJack: hope you really enjoy the Baltic cruise - I LOVE Scandinavia!!

We are on the Sun from Santiago to Los Angeles April 12th, right after you get off. We are also from Alberta and are facing a long plane ride but know it will be worth it. We are booked American Airlines non-stop to Dallas and then non-stap to Santiago arriving around 9:00 a.m. When we went to Europe last year we bought something called "No Jet Lag" from Pipestone Travel and BELIEVE IT OR NOT, we had NO JET LAG. It is an herbal supplement that you take every 2 hours while flying. Also found excursions to be expensive but also feel that it is a once in a lifetime trip (especially Macchu Pichu!!). Also, it is my 60th birthday present -- the ship departs Santiago on my birthday! If you get the chance, post a few messages while you are on board.

I don't think you'll be getting jet lag - just lack of sleep - this time because Santiago is on same time zone (or +/- 1 hour) as where you are. Jet lags get you when the time zone difference is more than a few hours and you've travelled on an overnight flight. As veterans of well over 100 transatlantic crossings by air, we have somewhat established our own remedy to recover from jet lag in minimum about of time, and this doesn't involve pills or medicine at all.

It's marvellous for you to be celebrating your 60th visiting Macchu Pichau and going on the Cape Horn cruise! Our DS visited Peru and M.P earlier this year on a school Spanish class trip and thoroughly loved it.

We're also considering SA in the Fall of 2010, along with Beth and others. Our first choice so far is with NCL on the Sun. Hopefully the Sun will still be doing this trip then!

Excursions will be a challenge but we have people coming along that are excursion planners extraordinaire :) so I have every confidence we will get some great deals, especially if there is a wine tasting somewhere along the way!

I wasn't aware of such a dramatic change in seasons so that is something to really look forward to!

I'm glad I found this post... I can't wait to hear of others adventures!

Todd.

I don't think you'll be getting jet lag - just lack of sleep - this time because Santiago is on same time zone (or +/- 1 hour) as where you are. Jet lags get you when the time zone difference is more than a few hours and you've travelled on an overnight flight. As veterans of well over 100 transatlantic crossings by air, we have somewhat established our own remedy to recover from jet lag in minimum about of time, and this doesn't involve pills or medicine at all.

It's marvellous for you to be celebrating your 60th visiting Macchu Pichau and going on the Cape Horn cruise! Our DS visited Peru and M.P earlier this year on a school Spanish class trip and thoroughly loved it.

Hi there,

Actually I think Santiago will be +3 hours because they aren't doing the early daylight savings time change. And, we are sailing from Santiago to Los Angeles, not around the Horn. We will do that trip next time. We will likely take the herbal No Jet Lag remedy as we don't sleep very well on the plane and want to be up and running for the whole day. We land in Santiago around 8:30 a.m. after an overnight flight from Dallas.

I don't think you'll be getting jet lag - just lack of sleep - this time because Santiago is on same time zone (or +/- 1 hour) as where you are. Jet lags get you when the time zone difference is more than a few hours and you've travelled on an overnight flight. .

you will want to check on this -- since the daylight savings time is flip-flop down here, it varies during the year. So, during the S American summer, the time difference is 2 hours MORE than whatever it is the rest of the year. This is because the US has entered "fall back" mode, whereas S America goes into "spring forward" mode.

For ex, Brazil to Texas is 2 hours later from late Feb to mid Oct, but from Oct to Feb, we are 4 hours later. (so, right now in June, it's 2:35 where I am in Brazil, but 12:35 in Texas; in December, 2:35 here would be only 10:35 in TX).

I think Santiago & BA are an hour earlier than me, but double check that, and know that whatever it is today, in June, it's going to be 2 hrs more in the summer months, until they do their time change, either in late Feb/mid March.

HTH! (and after that long of a flight, technical terms aside, yes, you will be TIRED.)

We're considering South America in late 2010 with some friends. I started doing research on what there is to do in the ports and on tour operators and got some sticker shock reading the prices. Between that and airfare, we're going to need to do some saving up for this one.

Beth, I thought we were going in early 2010?

Wow, talk about confusing. Right now it is 11:41 a.m. in Calgary, Alberta and I just checked time in Santiago and the internet site says 1:41 p.m. But, you're right, all that matters is that we will be tired because we will have flown from Calgary to Dallas to Santiago, travelling about 13+ hours! We leave at 2:35 p.m. local time from Calgary, arriving 7:20 p.m. into Dallas; depart Dallas at 9:10 p.m., arriving 7:40 a.m. into Santiago the following day.:p

Lynne, you have been too busy planning other things to have kept up...

The Med, Caribbean, The Med, Disney, Weddings, etc. Oh, to be retired one day.

Don't forget NYC :p next month!!! Seriously Todd, when are we going? I thought we were going during the Olympics in Feb. '10. Why did we change? When did we change?

Seriously Todd, when are we going?

November 2010

It will be mostly summer down there then anyway (think warm weather). Plus, the way the calendar worked out for vacation time, Jeff couldn't get time off in February as per the origianl plan.

We discussed this in detail a number of weeks ago :rolleyes:

We were going to do the Chile to Argentina run over the holidays but decided our youngest won't appreciate it--and it's a very long flight. So instead we are meeting friends on the Jade for the holidays. Next year, hopefully!

Just got off the Jade, you'll love it!

Archived