Need Advice on booking cruise at lowest price

twinss

My TA gives a discount, but started to charge a cancellation fee. So, my advice is to book directly with Carnival if you are not close to final payment yet. That way if there are any price drops you can easily call and have the price adjusted. Then just before final payment, transfer the booking to a TA if you find one who does perks or a price cut.

In our TA office if you pay by credit card you get a full refund if you cancel within the time frame allowed. If you pay by cash or check there is a $50 cancellation fee- so we always use credit card. We always get better prices there because a lot of times they will have group space booked at much lower prices- you are PART of a group- just booked under the cheaper rate. Have never gotten a cheaper rate online or calling Carnival.

Before this last cruise booking experience, I would have said book directly with the cruise line. But having to check online daily, enter discount codes, calling the line to check on upgrade, OBC, specials, etc has drained me. I'll still handle most of the other aspects (air, hotel, car) for my travels as you can get the best rates from the Expedia, Orbitz, or Hotel, Air and Car sights themselves, but this last experience with having to check daily to get the best rates, made me through in the towel for booking a cruise on my own. It was a learning experience, that did turn out favorable, but I won't do it anymore.

DW and I have always used a TA for our cruises. We use the same TA for all our trips. Last Nov had a cruise booked on Mariner with RCI. After we booked and paid in full, RCI listed a Senior discount for our cruise for $250pp less. I called the TA who contacted RCI and we got a $500 refund.:D So, if you have a good TA, they can help in any and all matters.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I am glad I didnt book directly with Carnival and will check out a local TA. Thanks again!

Just make sure you compare the prices you are given by a local TA. I wanted to use a local TA but the prices were the same as Carnival's website. In that case I'd rather book directly with Carnival. I have found the best prices are by using the agency that competes for your business. You submit a request for a quote and then you are alerted when an agency returns with a price. You still have to watch for the cancellation fees etc in the fine print. We've used the same agency for our last 3 cruises and made sure they included their no cancellation fee in the invoice. We aren't allowed to share agents names or agencies but you can google for cruise sites that compete for your business and may have luck getting the correct site :) In all 3 of the cruises we've booked the prices we got at the start were the lowest when we booked. They only went higher and much higher at that! We have our 4th cruise booked this same way and it's already $500 pp more than what we paid. :eek: We have yet to get an OBC for price drops but I'd rather pay the best price up front then to have to hope for a price drop for a better price later.

How should I book my next cruise? Directly with Carnival or thru a TA? Obviously, I want to book at the lowest price and get any price cuts, upgrades, etc. Thanks in advance!

I found booking around 600 days out helps with a very good price. I have never seen it go down past the price you pay when you book that far out.

I found booking around 600 days out helps with a very good price. I have never seen it go down past the price you pay when you book that far out.

Sorry but that is not correct.

On both of last two cruises we booked in the last 90 days before the cruise and paid well below the first offerings.

Last fall we were on the Majesty, 7days to Bermuda, for under $400 for an outside cabin.

If you are locked in on a particular ship and date you may be better off booking early. That being said there are some SUPER last minute deals.

Archived