Question for PaulMedik

I find it very interesting the passion that so many folks have brought to this thread about this one particular porter. Granted he was wrong to shake down folks for additional tips, but based on what so many people have said about cruising, typically when something happens on the ship, they just roll with the punches, because anything is better than a day at work, right. So many people say they can't fathom not leaving a tip for virutally anything that happens onboard a ship, so why make such a big deal about what this guy did or does?! Is it because this happened before getting on the ship, I just don't get it. I just find it surprising that people want to start their vacations looking for this guy, trying to take his picture, investing time to call his superiors months after the cruise has happened, etc. Again, I find this kind of behavior rather surprising.

I find it very interesting the passion that so many folks have brought to this thread about this one particular porter. Granted he was wrong to shake down folks for additional tips, but based on what so many people have said about cruising, typically when something happens on the ship, they just roll with the punches, because anything is better than a day at work, right. So many people say they can't fathom not leaving a tip for virutally anything that happens onboard a ship, so why make such a big deal about what this guy did or does?! Is it because this happened before getting on the ship, I just don't get it. I just find it surprising that people want to start their vacations looking for this guy, trying to take his picture, investing time to call his superiors months after the cruise has happened, etc. Again, I find this kind of behavior rather surprising.

There have been prior instances reported on here of cabin stewards that were too pushy about tipping and they were also rightly vilified on here. When this post began I thought people were wasting their time with this but I am now becoming a believer in the power of complaining. I can't wait to hear a report of more contacts with number 150.

Room steward fails to fill your ice bucket every day versus room steward implies that your stuff may disappear if you don't pony up a bigger tip. I think most people would react very differently...

Room steward fails to fill your ice bucket every day versus room steward implies that your stuff may disappear if you don't pony up a bigger tip. I think most people would react very differently...

Very Well Put!!! I was going to say some people just don't get it...

Speaking for myself, I detest bullying. I suppose some of us imagine our own elderly parents or children being intimidated in this way and it just really ticks us off! I say Sic 'em!:)

Pickle, I'm a decent, maybe even good tipper. And have taken many cruises out of Miami without ever having a porter problem. But when I step out of the auto, I've already popped the trunk and I'm pulling my money clip out of my pocket. They can see that and it might be why I've never had the problem. But if ever a porter gave me a veiled threat about my tip [$10 for 5 bags] I would say, "I'm sorry, let me change that." while reaching for more money. Once I got the tip back, he would be told to get the hxxl away from my luggage. [sometimes being big, dumb, and ugly comes in handy:rolleyes:] and I would find the super to handle him and my bags. I once had a dining room waiter that did no work, made his asst. do it all and he would come around the table and make comments about how bad Americans were as tippers, HUH? He got 25 cents for a 10 or 11 day cruise. The asst. was terrific and was tipped well. Rolling with the punches is fine, allowing yourself to be extorted is wrong.

Dan

We remember a few years ago arriving from the airport on a Carnival transfer bus, with the bus driver telling us; “the bags will not be removed unless I receive a tip.” After that; we ran into old #150. Great beginning to our cruise. Cannot remember which ship it was but we certainly remember the bus driver and #150. Sad but true.

I, for one, am very pleased with the reaction of “heck no, I’m not going to take it no more!” Wish we would carry this attitude over to the people who govern our country.

• 5 months later...

So far I've had one occasion where the assistant waiter received double the tip that the head waiter did. We took the same ship on our last cruise and we never even SAW the assistant waiter.

Tips are earned..not guaranteed.

I certainly have no issues photographing a porter and stating "My luggage had better arrive well off and in good condition."

With that said, we may just carry our own luggage on with our dream cruise.

Archived