Question for PaulMedik

To the OP, I know how frustrating it is to deal with this guy. I hope that being able to vent here is enough of a solution for you because there is not a thing that you can do about it.

I have read all the replies and I have noticed that most of the people saying that they would complain do not appear to be from big cities on the East coast. The union RUNS the port of Miami and they have free rein to do pretty much anything that they want to at the port. If you call or write the union you are only making yourself fodder for lunch time laughs.

I am willing to bet that the mayor of Miami wouldn't touch these guys with a ten foot pole. They have the ability to shut the entire port down in 5 minutes. Which in turn would create millions in losses for the city. Believe me that Porter 150 is not the only one who pulls this. As soon as you get out of the car or bus they size you up as a potential mark. Many times they will team with another porter to do the good cop/ bad cop routine so that when you walk away you realize that you just got held up but "the one guy was really nice."

The porters all know where each bus came from. If they know you are coming from a hotel on a Carnival shuttle they know that you probably had to fly in a day before. This means you likely will be intimidated by the big city dock worker because you are not used to dealing with these guys.

When you think about it, these guys should be admired in a kind of sick and perverse way. They have managed to raise the art of the shakedown to the highest level.

The last time I sailed from Miami was back in 1997 and I seem to recall 150 using the same exact lines at that time.

This is exactly the mentality that the thugs are hoping and counting on people having. It's why they get away with it. Enough people looking to make a change, will make a change. It has to start somewhere, and a few complaints from members here are a start. Remember, the cruise industry is pretty important to Miami too.

This is exactly the mentality that the thugs are hoping and counting on people having. It's why they get away with it. Enough people looking to make a change, will make a change. It has to start somewhere, and a few complaints from members here are a start. Remember, the cruise industry is pretty important to Miami too.

I realize that it is very frustrating. I am in no way condoning what is happening there. I just think that everyone here should also call Exxon/Mobil to complain about gas prices. They laughed in the face of Congress! Google Port of Miami Earnings Report and you will see that Cruise lines are not where they make all their money.

Go to Google Groups and put in

Porters Port of Miami

This problem is as old as time and I'm sure that they receive complaints about every single sailing. And every one is placed nicely in the round file.:D

I'd post a complaint anyway. Perhaps enough complaints about this guy will prompt someone to do something.

I can't remember having a problem with a porter, but I don't pay attention. I'm usually so excited and happy to be there that I don't see anything else! However, I would post a complaint if someone was rude like Porter 150.

I realize that it is very frustrating. I am in no way condoning what is happening there. I just think that everyone here should also call Exxon/Mobil to complain about gas prices. They laughed in the face of Congress! Google Port of Miami Earnings Report and you will see that Cruise lines are not where they make all their money.

Go to Google Groups and put in

Porters Port of Miami

This problem is as old as time and I'm sure that they receive complaints about every single sailing. And every one is placed nicely in the round file.:D

Let's not compare apples to oranges. Complaining about this porter and complaining about gas prices are apples and oranges. Unions do not have the power they once had. The general public does not want to hear the plight of the union man. Not when unemployment is so high and the economy is in the toilet. If the complaints were enough or came from the right place (media) you can bet that porter would dissapear. One thing is for sure, doing nothing will get nothing done.

Now i am nervous, we sail out of miami the end of june. We will prob have 3-4 bags, what do you normally tip? We must have had his brother in orlando, a few years ago. We had 13 of us, we had all put the luggage on the carts and he came up (after it was all on) and got us our transportation, then helped with some of the luggage putting it in the van.. not all.. when we tipped him he asked the others in our party for more money!

Now, if he had done ALL the work that would have been one thing but he didnt.. i think we gave him 20 bucks..

Let's not compare apples to oranges. Complaining about this porter and complaining about gas prices are apples and oranges. Unions do not have the power they once had. The general public does not want to hear the plight of the union man. Not when unemployment is so high and the economy is in the toilet. If the complaints were enough or came from the right place (media) you can bet that porter would disappear. One thing is for sure, doing nothing will get nothing done.

I'm sorry but this is apples and apples in my mind. The oil companies are shaking us down for record profits. People complain, people write letters, people organize pointless boycotts but it changes absolutely nothing except the profits get bigger and the prices go higher. They have all the power. The Union at the port of Miami DOES have the same amount of power as they they have always had.

The last thing that this country needs is a work stoppage at the port of Miami. The union knows this and they will go to bat for a brother until he commits a serious crime. What crime has he committed? Being a tough guy is not a crime. He never said, "give me all your money." As I said in my earlier post, they are quite good at what they do.

You said that doing nothing will get nothing done. If you took the time to Google News as I said, you will see that nothing gets done if you do something either. Some people may get satisfaction from calling or writing and that is great for them. To expect an actual change is unrealistic. I have been aware of the situation at the port of Miami for over 15 years and it is just a part of cruising from there. I don't cruise from there any more for just this reason. They don't miss me one bit! :(

I firmly believe that Carnival needs Miami more than Miami needs Carnival.

To me this is very different than the gas prices...which I don't like either but most all of us have to have a vehicle to get to a job, or somewhere else, as most of us don't have a horse to ride on. (been thinking seriously about getting one) lol

Back to the point...my point is: This is the first time we have ever been asked for money from a porter...we gave him a $20...he then asked for more...give me a freaking break he is a bleep bleep bleep!!! He has no right doing that to passengers!!!! I have the right to report him..you never know, the UNION may have clauses in their contracts with these guys. I have delt with unions on many occasions during my adult life and they do not scare me. I can complain all I want as can others...if it does any good or not who knows...I will probably never know what happens after the complaint is officially made.

Now i am nervous, we sail out of miami the end of june. We will prob have 3-4 bags, what do you normally tip? We must have had his brother in orlando, a few years ago. We had 13 of us, we had all put the luggage on the carts and he came up (after it was all on) and got us our transportation, then helped with some of the luggage putting it in the van.. not all.. when we tipped him he asked the others in our party for more money!

Now, if he had done ALL the work that would have been one thing but he didnt.. i think we gave him 20 bucks..

I talked to my PVP earlier (booking Glory) and he told me that most porters get tipped one to two dollars per bag, if that.

I would take my stuff and go find another porter. If he is aggressive, I would threaten to call the police, and i would pull my cell out. He would back the ###$@ down, or else.

There is no reason to put up with this. I am sure another porter would be glad to get a decent tip.

arizdback asked what crime he committed--destruction of property when he messed with Paul's luggage.

There is no proof of that. Do I think that happened? Darn straight I do! Would the police take a report? No way.

I think I may need to clarify that I think these porters (150 is not the only one) are dirt bags. But like another poster said, when you arrive at the port you are so excited to be there and getting on the ship is your number one frame of mind. The porters know this and play it for all it is worth.

As I said, I am well aware of this problem and the union down there is probably the most powerful that I am aware of. I am in a union but only to protect myself, not because I think it gives me the chance to run my own little scam.

To me this thread is about what we as cruise passengers and consumers can attempt to do to rectify this situation. We've heard from the side that says nothing will get done no matter what we do. Thanks for that, it's duly been noted. Now let's hear from the people who want to make a difference and how we may go about doing it.

I would take my stuff and go find another porter. If he is aggressive, I would threaten to call the police, and i would pull my cell out. He would back the ###$@ down, or else.

There is no reason to put up with this. I am sure another porter would be glad to get a decent tip.

I agree. And if possible I just take my luggage inside the terminal. If Carnival or anyone else say I can't bring them onboard without checking it, I would tell them I was just threatened by a porter who was trying to extort unreasonable amount of money from me.

So the cruiseline need to put in writing that they have to reimburse me x amount $ for any damaged or lost luggage. Do you think the cruiseline will let me not check the luggage? I rather deal with the hassle than lose or damage luggage.

CAn I be deny boarding for not checking my luggage?

This is one of the many reasons we choose not to cruise out of Miami. Hard to figure out what people see in the city anyways? :confused:

I always love cruising out of Miami and hoping that one day I can get a pad on South Beach after I retire. I only had a problem with a porter on my very first cruise onboard Holiday out of Miami when this porter told me that my luggage wouldnt make it onboard if I didn't tip him. I told him to F-OFF and I took my own luggage with me.

But now I'm glad I saw what this piece of work looks like so I can keep an eye out for him.

Im going to print this out and also the picture and send it to Guest Relations, they will know who this guy is and will remove him ASAP.

Fred

I always love cruising out of Miami and hoping that one day I can get a pad on South Beach after I retire. I only had a problem with a porter on my very first cruise onboard Holiday out of Miami when this porter told me that my luggage wouldnt make it onboard if I didn't tip him. I told him to F-OFF and I took my own luggage with me.

But now I'm glad I saw what this piece of work looks like so I can keep an eye out for him.

Im going to print this out and also the picture and send it to Guest Relations, they will know who this guy is and will remove him ASAP.

Fred

Fred,

Thanks for doing that...maybe the more of us that do report him then maybe something will be done.

I too plan to move to Miami someday, I would have already moved there but do not want to take my 15 yr. old down there to live (not at that age). I LOVE it there!!!

To me this is very different than the gas prices...which I don't like either but most all of us have to have a vehicle to get to a job, or somewhere else, as most of us don't have a horse to ride on. (been thinking seriously about getting one) lol

Back to the point...my point is: This is the first time we have ever been asked for money from a porter...we gave him a $20...he then asked for more...give me a freaking break he is a bleep bleep bleep!!! He has no right doing that to passengers!!!! I have the right to report him..you never know, the UNION may have clauses in their contracts with these guys. I have delt with unions on many occasions during my adult life and they do not scare me. I can complain all I want as can others...if it does any good or not who knows...I will probably never know what happens after the complaint is officially made.

Don't let this guy be a spokesman for all union workers.

I agree. And if possible I just take my luggage inside the terminal. If Carnival or anyone else say I can't bring them onboard without checking it, I would tell them I was just threatened by a porter who was trying to extort unreasonable amount of money from me.

So the cruiseline need to put in writing that they have to reimburse me x amount $ for any damaged or lost luggage. Do you think the cruiseline will let me not check the luggage? I rather deal with the hassle than lose or damage luggage.

CAn I be deny boarding for not checking my luggage?

This is the way to do it. If your luggage dosen't fit through the scanner, it gets checked. But not with the dirtbag 150.

This is one of the many reasons we choose not to cruise out of Miami.

That has been my thought for some time also, and stories like this confirm it (Fred's mostly positives experiences not withstanding). We've done FTL and had no issues like this at all and would do it again but we've definitely been avoiding Miami itineraries and will continue to do so.

Since most people have cameras on their cell phones, I would ask the porter to take a picture with him before giving him a tip. Proof !

I could envision a movement to have your stuff shipped straight to the ship from home, or, better yet, take just enough stuff for a carry-on only.

Paul,

I just reported him to one person and I got a confirmation # and was told that they would be sending me a letter in few days about the situation. They then give me a number for someone else. I'm waiting on him to call me back. I'll keep you updated on this as you will be there again in a few weeks.

Paul,

I just reported him to one person and I got a confirmation # and was told that they would be sending me a letter in few days about the situation. They then give me a number for someone else. I'm waiting on him to call me back. I'll keep you updated on this as you will be there again in a few weeks.

Hurricane Girl,

Excellent! Thank you. :)

Archived