Question for PaulMedik

We had Porter 150 when we cruised out of Miami on 6-21. As soon as we got out of our van I saw him and recognized him from Paul's pictures. I gave my DH a heads up and when my DH gave 150 the $$$, he didn't say a word. He took the $$$ and our luggage and was gone. No problems.

We had Porter 150 when we cruised out of Miami on 6-21. As soon as we got out of our van I saw him and recognized him from Paul's pictures. I gave my DH a heads up and when my DH gave 150 the $$$, he didn't say a word. He took the $$$ and our luggage and was gone. No problems.
Sounds like word may have gotten to the right people and P-150 has had a "come to Jesus" talk with his supervisor.

I would hope so. DW and I looked at the photo and it may well have been 150 that handled our luggage a few years ago. The demeanor was the same as described on this thread.

It's sad that one porter could start peoples vacation in such a confrontational manner. We had such a porter on our first cruise ever. It was out of Miami but I'm sure it wasn't 150 that was our porter.

When our cab pulled up the porters were arguing over who was next to take luggage and the one who won out let us know that the "normal tips start at $2 per bag for the guy who makes sure your luggage gets to the cabin."

Charlie

Dont these guys make like 12 bucks an hour? Why are they being tipped to do their job. Maybe the news should be made aware of this and the extortion tactics this guy is using. We always tip but he would of gotten no tip and a piece of my mind if he had said that to me.

LOL . . . try $47 bucks an hour (counting the benefits). . . longshoremen have a "closed" system . . . membership is allowed from Grandfather to Father to Son (sometimes a cousin or nephew can sneak in there) . . . and on and on. Very corrupt system. :(

In the Port of Los Angeles, becoming a member of the Longshoremen's guarantees you a minimum of over 100k per year, for the rest of your life if you so choose. :D

I'm so glad I came across this thread before our cruise out of Miami. We are going to be with a LARGE group of people and I'm nervous of how we will get treated (like $ signs). I have looked at the picture and put some numbers in my cell phone and will go to management if I have ANY problems. Thank you!

A few years ago we were turned down by a taxi because we only wanted to go from the port to a downtown hotel. I realize this was a short trip but we, too, had been waiting in line for a long time. The Port Security arrived and asked what the problem was? Long story cut short, she informed the cab driver; “Take these passengers or never return to this port.” Yea! We got in and had the ride of our lives. Boo!

Should you encounter #150 can you just refuse him and take another porter?

I was at Disney a few years back and a waiter in one of the eateries brought my bill and I gave him a $50.00 bill for a $20.00 purchase and he had the guts to ask me if he could keep the change. I said no and his tip was equal to his

his intelligence. ZERO

Maybe my calling put a stop to him harrasing people... :cool:

Did anyone see my post from yesterday? The man from the Longshoremans Union called me and told me to report this guy call Larry Kretish at 954 448-6253.

Thank you!!! I will call him tomorrow...just to make sure that I have reported him to the right person.

I was told to call 305-599-2600 and report him there...I did and I talked to Carlos, a port operations officer. Maybe he took care of the situation...but it never hurts to check up on it. ;)

We took our first cruise out of Miami last year and NEVER again.

We were dropped off by our taxi just about 10 steps from the garage where the luggage goes and I walked over to it to give the guy my luggage and without speaking he motioned I had to give it to the porter standing behind me so he could give it to the man in front of me.

The porter then held out his hand for a tip for doing NOTHING!

(Now I had read about the threats before I we went and had a folded up dollar with plain paper in side to look like it was more ready for such tactics)

That was just one of the reasons why I will never go out of Miami again. Everywhere I turned rude, rude, rude people. From the patrons at the rental car place, to the cab driver who pretened not to understand we wanted to stop, to the people at the airport. I really dislike Miami with a passion.

Thank you!!! I will call him tomorrow...just to make sure that I have reported him to the right person.

I was told to call 305-599-2600 and report him there...I did and I talked to Carlos, a port operations officer. Maybe he took care of the situation...but it never hurts to check up on it. ;)

I'm not sure who you spoke to. The man who called me was from the union and he said something about him being taken before a hearing panel regarding any complaints received. I didn't experience it, you guys did and I hope you call to report him.

A few years ago we were turned down by a taxi because we only wanted to go from the port to a downtown hotel. I realize this was a short trip but we, too, had been waiting in line for a long time. The Port Security arrived and asked what the problem was? Long story cut short, she informed the cab driver; “Take these passengers or never return to this port.” Yea! We got in and had the ride of our lives. Boo!

NYC is the same way. Unless you want to go to the airports those danged cab drivers will blatantly ignore you and they know there's not a THING you can do about it. Creeps.

The man who called me was from the union and he said something about him being taken before a hearing panel regarding any complaints received.

Hearing panel = Laugh about it over drinks at the local watering hole. :D

Seriously, I'm really surprised at the responses that have been received so far. I am still very skeptical about anything being done. I will be waiting for more reports from folks sailing from Miami. I did read that some people have not had the problem with #150 but that goes back to my earlier post. These guys are masters at sizing up a mark.

This is exactly the mentality that the thugs are hoping and counting on people having. It's why they get away with it. Enough people looking to make a change, will make a change. It has to start somewhere, and a few complaints from members here are a start. Remember, the cruise industry is pretty important to Miami too.

There is probably only one solution:

One large wheelie bag, one large shoulder bag, and a fake German accent [i.e. pretending you cannot understand them] as you walk by with your "self-assist" load.:mad:

That has been my thought for some time also, and stories like this confirm it (Fred's mostly positives experiences not withstanding). We've done FTL and had no issues like this at all and would do it again but we've definitely been avoiding Miami itineraries and will continue to do so.

I have in-laws who LIVE in Miami, and they drive to the Ft. L. airport whenever they fly, so I was pre-warned. I have cruised from there twice. The first time we flew in and the shuttle crew checked our bags through. Second time, I made like a pack mule. We avoided the porters, so the "cursetoms" agents made up for it on the debarkation end.

The last time we were in Miami I was walking past a porter pushing one of those carts filled to the very top with luggage...the luggage tipped and I was only brushed with some of the luggage....scared the bejesus outta me...a half second later I could've been skamushed! :eek: The porter was very kind and asked numerous times if I was OK.

As I recall, the porter we had in Miami wasn't the nicest guy and there was reference to a tip. Be savy, give him what you think he deserves and give the same attitude back. Sometimes playing them at their own game keeps ya on equal ground. :cool:

TBe savy, give him what you think he deserves and give the same attitude back. Sometimes playing them at their own game keeps ya on equal ground. :cool:

This is the best solution to the problem. If you give them a "big city" attitude they know you are not today's big score. They will find one but at least it ain't you. :)

LOL . . . try $47 bucks an hour (counting the benefits). . . longshoremen have a "closed" system . . . membership is allowed from Grandfather to Father to Son (sometimes a cousin or nephew can sneak in there) . . . and on and on. Very corrupt system. :(

In the Port of Los Angeles, becoming a member of the Longshoremen's guarantees you a minimum of over 100k per year, for the rest of your life if you so choose. :D

Got that right;)

When you use the PoM just walk up to one of dez guys ( eye spy his badge #) and before he can speak, say hi and tell him your Uncle Vito and Cousin Sal are porters in Mahattan and said to search out porter # XXX - that

he would be very helpful....;) :p LOL

We took our first cruise out of Miami last year and NEVER again.

We were dropped off by our taxi just about 10 steps from the garage where the luggage goes and I walked over to it to give the guy my luggage and without speaking he motioned I had to give it to the porter standing behind me so he could give it to the man in front of me.

The porter then held out his hand for a tip for doing NOTHING!

(Now I had read about the threats before I we went and had a folded up dollar with plain paper in side to look like it was more ready for such tactics)

That was just one of the reasons why I will never go out of Miami again. Everywhere I turned rude, rude, rude people. From the patrons at the rental car place, to the cab driver who pretened not to understand we wanted to stop, to the people at the airport. I really dislike Miami with a passion.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way! We loved our Valor cruise, but NOT Miami. Not everyone was rude, but some of our experiences, especially at the airport were enough to leave a bad taste.:(

Archived