Employment on cruise ships

kristin0824

Has anyone ever worked on a cruise ship for a short period of time (4-6 months) just to travel for 'free'? If so, how did you get the job? What type of job did you have? Did you have time to enjoy it? Were you able to go into ports? Would you do it again?

Other than officers and entertainers, most cruise ship employees sign contract for 6 to 10 months. While they get free travel, they have little time to enjoy it.

You may be better off looking at the Navy.

I had a friend that worked on Crystal or Celebrity playing harp, I can't remember which, for 4 months one year. She took a leave of absence from teaching. I remember her telling me how nervous she was with them lifting her harp over the side by a crane!

She enjoyed it, but said everyone was way over her age and she didn't really have anyone to run around with on the cruises. She did come back with a great tan and she got to go through the Panama Canal a couple of times.

Workers on cruise ships work 12 to 14 hours a day, with very little time off. They don't get into the ports as they have just enough time to hop off, go to the terminal, and make a phone call home. It's not an easy job, and I don't know anyone who uses a job like that for free travel. It's one of the toughest jobs on the planet.

A few years ago I was recruited by the company providing comuter sercices to Celebrity. After several conversations with folks working for them I accepted an invitation to attend an interview / training session in Vancouver.

This company was looking for folks with excellent people skills, ability to deliver scripted information about Photoshop, and liked to cruise. Experience with the software was not a requirement. They paid the majority of the instructor's expenses for the cruise and there was time off in ports (as classes aren't held when in port). One could work as often or as little as they wanted -- I think they wanted 6 weeks a year as a minimum. The instructors were not paid a salary.

For the right person it was a good deal but just didn't fit my skills and lifestyle. It is important to remember the company doing the hiring is a business and they do take advantage of the instructors but several folks were OK with that as the tradeoff of the cruise being paid for was worth it.

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the company and can't find any info on it. If this sounds interesting I suggest contacting the cruise line to find out who they contract with to provide training or look for one of the "live from" threads and have the person posting ask the instructor who they work for or ask on your next cruise.

It was definately worth exploring just not the right fit for me.

SnowSkier

We have a neighbor who's daughter works for the daycare on a ship. She seems to be able to enjoy going on shore. Sounds like daycare workers have more time than some of the other workers on a ship.

My son works on a cruise ship as a Production Manager/Tech Supervisor. The job does have its ups and downs, but, for the most part, he has enjoyed it so far. Since his switch from Hawaii to international, he seems to have more time to investigate the ports. It is a good way for him to pay off his student loans and see the world; but it is a job with very long hours. Like others have said, it depends a lot on your postition on the ship. Good luck to you in making your decision.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I should have been a little more clear in my first post about the type of job I would pursue. I have a college degree (BBA) and 20 years of various computer experience (from hardware to networking to programming to training) and would be looking for a job in this area. If I could land one of these jobs, would I have more free time and be able to 'enjoy' my job? Thanks for all your help!

snowskier...That sounds like something I would be interested in. If you happen to come across (or remember) the name of the company, I would really like that info. Thanks!

We met one very nice young woman who worked the buffet section on the NCL Dawn; she was from Mumbai, India; she was working to save seed money to start up a business to provide daycare service to cater to the parents employed by the large number of call centers located there. She was very bright and very charming, and she had a great idea to start her own business; we wish her well.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I should have been a little more clear in my first post about the type of job I would pursue. I have a college degree (BBA) and 20 years of various computer experience (from hardware to networking to programming to training) and would be looking for a job in this area. If I could land one of these jobs, would I have more free time and be able to 'enjoy' my job? Thanks for all your help!

snowskier...That sounds like something I would be interested in. If you happen to come across (or remember) the name of the company, I would really like that info. Thanks!

Most of the major cruise lines use SeaMobile for their internet access services - you could take a look at their site. One good site with information on cruise line jobs (and some warnings) is at: http://www.cruiselinesjobs.com/

Archived