Pacific Sun/Sun Princess

This is probably a dumb question, so please don't yell at me. But does the Sun Princess become the Pacific Sun when P & O takes it over when it's in Australia? We are on the round trip Sydney cruise in March 2009 and our itinerary show it being the Sun Princess, but after reading these boards, I'm wondering????

Thanks, Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

No they are two different ships Sun Princess is a Princess Cruises Ship and Pacific Sun is P & O Australia although when SP is in australia she will be sailing under P&O I think?

Hi Jen,

they are two different ships .the PacificSun is an older smaller ship (47000 tons ).The Sun Princess is operated by Princess Australia and is 77000 ton .Its a more modern ship than the Pacific Sun I sailed on the Sun Princess in January and we loved the ship.

cheers

Col

It is the same Sun Princess that has cruised from the US for the past decade +

As mentioned, Pacific Sun is a different ship. If you think that is confusing enough, wait till Dawn Princess arrives here in October. We will then have Pacific Sun, Sun Princess, Pacific Dawn (ex Regal Princess), and Dawn Princess.

At sea Sun Princess remains pretty much a Princess operated ship. The main differences to the US operated Princess cruises are $AU for onboard currency and no anytime dining in the dining room.

The link (and perhaps the confusion) is that Sun Princess was initially planned to be shared between the US and Australia. While in Oz, she was going to be operated by P&O. In April 2007, Princess Australia was formed, with Sun Princess cruising full time here. Dawn Princess will also be doing the same.

Princess and P&O share management, promotion, sales and other land based operations in the same offices in Sydney, as Carnival Australia.

Your post was comprehensive and 100% accurate as usual GEOFF.

Well done, crikey, Carnival Australia could give you a job as Customer Relations Ambassador.

Cheers..Les:cool:

Archived