On the phone with Royal-Qucik Help!

I was invited today on a cruise this weekend with some friends. They however are booked in a guarantee balcony room.

Here is the problem. The balcony is a D1 which can sleep 3, but a guarantee rate only allows 2 in a room. I am trying to give Royal an extra $1071 as a third person that would otherwise go unfilled, but they are giving me trouble.

Any advice?

I doubt any of us can help you with that. It's possible that they're at full capacity, which is based on the max number of people they're allowed to have on board, not the total number of beds. If that's not the issue, then you may have a chance. If the person you're talking with isn't very helpful, maybe you can talk with a supervisor. I would be polite, but not take the first or second "No" for an answer.

I doubt any of us can help you with that. It's possible that they're at full capacity, which is based on the max number of people they're allowed to have on board, not the total number of beds. If that's not the issue, then you may have a chance. If the person you're talking with isn't very helpful, maybe you can talk with a supervisor. I would be polite, but not take the first or second "No" for an answer.

I know it isn't full because they want to take the guarantee rate away, and give a higher rate to allow the third person.

I'm on hold for a supervisor.

However, I'm trying to give them money for a third person, they wouldn't otherwise be getting, along with all the onboard expenses I will be purchasing. I think it is crazy they are giving me a hard time!

I was invited today on a cruise this weekend with some friends. They however are booked in a guarantee balcony room.

Here is the problem. The balcony is a D1 which can sleep 3, but a guarantee rate only allows 2 in a room. I am trying to give Royal an extra $1071 as a third person that would otherwise go unfilled, but they are giving me trouble.

Any advice?

Just because a cabin has accomondation for 3 or 4 does not mean they can sell it like that.

I remember once when we tried to get a quad (4 in cabin) on a Disney cruise, none available but lots of doubles. I ask about this since Disney is a family cruise why they did not have more quad cabins. I was told that all cabins can accomondate 4 but because of safety and fire they are not petrmitted to have more than x number of passengers on board. So once they get a pre-determined number of triples and quads sold they can no longer sell any more.

Perhaps you can see if you can change the reservation from a guarantee to a specific D1 that sleeps three and pay for the difference between these two fairs; then you would only have to pay a 3rd person rate for that room plus the difference between the guarantee rate and the specific room rate for the first two passengers. If that is not too big a price increase for you, I would think Royal Caribbean could make this change rather easily.

Just because a cabin has accomondation for 3 or 4 does not mean they can sell it like that.

I remember once when we tried to get a quad (4 in cabin) on a Disney cruise, none available but lots of doubles. I ask about this since Disney is a family cruise why they did not have more quad cabins. I was told that all cabins can accomondate 4 but because of safety and fire they are not petrmitted to have more than x number of passengers on board. So once they get a pre-determined number of triples and quads sold they can no longer sell any more.

Correct, but the ship has not hit double occupancy yet, because they want to give a higher rate to accomodate for the third person.

Perhaps you can see if you can change the reservation from a guarantee to a specific D1 that sleeps three and pay for the difference between these two fairs; then you would only have to pay a 3rd person rate for that room plus the difference between the guarantee rate and the specific room rate for the first two passengers. If that is not too big a price increase for you, I would think Royal Caribbean could make this change rather easily.

This is exactly what they want to do. However the difference is $2000 instead of $1071. There is no way in hell I will pay that much, especially with another Mariner cruise coming in two weeks.

I'm just having problems understanding why they are turning down my money, which is money they wouldn't otherwise be getting.

Stay tuned. More help/adivce/thoughts are welcome.

Ah. I think I get what you're saying. So, if they add you, they're system probably won't allow it to be booked at the guarantee rate, so it makes the fare go up for everyone. That sounds like something only a supervisor could try to work out for you, anyway. I wouldn't be too hard on them for the fact that it's not easily done. When you're dealing with computerized reservation systems, trying to do something that doesn't fall into the design of the system is not always easy, even if it makes sense logically.

Good luck, though. If it's sailing this weekend, and they have a chance to get an extra $1K, they might just work something out for you.

Ah. I think I get what you're saying. So, if they add you, they're system probably won't allow it to be booked at the guarantee rate, so it makes the fare go up for everyone. That sounds like something only a supervisor could try to work out for you, anyway. I wouldn't be too hard on them for the fact that it's not easily done. When you're dealing with computerized reservation systems, trying to do something that doesn't fall into the design of the system is not always easy, even if it makes sense logically.

Good luck, though. If it's sailing this weekend, and they have a chance to get an extra $1K, they might just work something out for you.

That is exactly what I'm thinking. I will even be willing to pay the difference of $2000 as long as they give me my difference of $929 as onboard credit, that way they are still making the money in some sort of way, and it is helping me out too. Now if only I can figure out how to put that in a way that is easy to understand.

Hope you can get it done. Seems like if they have the room (capacity wise) they would be crazy to turn down the extra money. Good Luck. Keep us posted. Enjoy the muzak! :)

That is the way I am seeing it. I know for a fact they have room. Why are they giving me a hard time? I am trying to help them fill their ship during a time where the economy is down and many folks can't afford to travel. Shouldn't they be the ones calling me? ;)

If there's time and if you're so inclined, transferring the booking to a travel agent who can do the leg work for you might prove helpful.

Well since the cruise is this weekend and I know no travel agents, this really isn't an option for me, although it is a good idea.

Thanks for your input :)

I really hate to say it but it is extremely unlikely that they will be able to give you the guarantee rate for 3 people. I don't know if their system even allows overrides to add a 3rd person to a guarantee rate like it allows overrides to only book a guarantee as a single.

Hope things work out for you though.

probably just "lust for life" over and over and over again :rolleyes:

Any word yet?

A~

Yup, and overtop of it is a lady who repeats the same exact thing.

Did you know that deluxe cruising with azamara cruises is a new way to travel. Join Azamara on their two ships the Azamara Journey, and the Azamara Quest. Did you know that every suit has it's own butler. To book yours just visit azamaracruises.com.

That is getting repeated over and over again.

I really hate to say it but it is extremely unlikely that they will be able to give you the guarantee rate for 3 people. I don't know if their system even allows overrides to add a 3rd person to a guarantee rate like it allows overrides to only book a guarantee as a single.

Hope things work out for you though.

That is what they keep telling me. But like I said, I am trying to give them an extra berth. Without me, they lose that berth.

I really hope they can work something out for me.

Thanks for the advice

I'm surprised they're even entertaining the idea of taking a reservation this late in the game if the cruise is this weekend. It's my understanding that since 9/11 the cruise lines are required to submit a manifest to the authorities 48 hours prior to sailing and once submitted, they can't add to it. I guess I have wrong information. Good Luck!!!

Archived