Formal night question...

jennyvag

First Time Cruiser question here: do women typically wear long gowns / dresses for formal nights or are cocktail dresses more common?

I have a beautiful lime green dress that I purchased while it was on sale and I'd love an excuse to wear it!

Thanks for your help :)

We just now are able to cruise in the off season since DH retired from teaching so we always went during spring break. Then it was like prom night as there were many young girls and they were able to get use of their prom dresses. I have worn long dresses, a dressy pant suit that looked like a tux and black pants with a sparkly top and also a cocktail dress. My rule of thumb is wear what you would wear to a fancy wedding.

Absolutely wear it. I've seen gowns, cocktail dresses and so on. Some go more casual but imo, they stand out more than the people who dress up. I wore two long gowns on my last cruise and I wasn't the only one.

First Time Cruiser question here: do women typically wear long gowns / dresses for formal nights or are cocktail dresses more common?

You will see both...but I personally prefer formal gowns that are full length. I love to wear them! :)

I'm a seasoned cruiser and I've seen it all. Wear what you are comfortable with. I've seen everything from beautiful long gowns, to pretty Sunday best. I myself have never worn a long gown because I would not get much use out of it. I have always worn cocktail dresses and never felt uncomfortable even on expensive European cruises.

I have a beautiful lime green dress that I purchased while it was on sale and I'd love an excuse to wear it!

Thanks for your help :)

What cruise line are you sailing?

Agreed.

I've seen all kinds of dresses on formal nights. While I won't wear anything but a floor-length gown, I've seen cocktail-type dresses...even formal pantsuits.

You have to wear what works for you. :)

I wear formal pantsuits. I have a champagne chiffon one, and a silver satin one that I wear the pants and tank top with several other jackets with silver in them. I also have a beaded short dress, but I don't think I can take it anymore because it adds so much weight to the suitcase.

I usually wear a long formal dress the first formal night and wear a shorter coctail dress for the second. My mother wore a fabulous formal pantsuit and she looked great.

wear what you want - you will see it all.

Archived