How thin are the walls between staterooms?

In my experience you can ocasionally hear a little noise, but not actual words being spoken. You will hear a little more if you have an adjoining stateroom (through the crack in the door that connects the staterooms). Unless someone has a TV or music turned way, way up, is fighting loudly, or engaging in very rowdy adult activities the noise is unlikely to be much of a bother.

My in laws snore like nothing you have ever heard before. And we could not hear them at all! The only time we have heard anything is we had a connecting stateroom one year and there was a crying baby in the other room and we could hear the baby through the door.

It varies. We have had rooms that seem to be soundproof, and we have also had rooms where you could clearly hear normal-volume conversation next door. We have also had rooms where the walls were fine but a LOT of noise could be heard through the closed cabin door. Sometimes the furniture and fixtures in the room make little ticking, creaking, squeeking sounds as the ship moves through the water.

As one of those people who's really sensitive to sounds, I always bring a set of those sticky silicone earplugs, and sleep like a baby.

We have never heard a peep out of our neighbors - possibly a toilet flush really early in the morning when it is very quiet. I am a light sleeper and have never had an issue. I have heard though that connecting cabins have more noise. I always wear ear plugs...

Can you hear things (conversation, TV, etc.) in the cabin next door?

Also, if you physically knock or hit the wall, the other people on the other side can hear it. I would tap on the wall to wake up our cruising friends for breaky and it didn't take much!

We were able to hear a toddler screaming her lungs out on the Monarch, then again she is an older ship.

If you have a cabin next to my father you JUST might be able to hear his TV ;) Well at least before he was fitted with a hearing aid, lol.

###

Wife and I take a small fan with us, we like to call it white noise, to block out anything that might awaken us.

I lol when I read this... you just answered a question my sister and I had from our last cruise. When my iron was confiscated and I had to pick it up at security on the last day, there was a 12 inch fan still in the box that had also been confiscated... we both laughed at that wondering why someone would pack a 12 inch fan - now we know. :)

BUT - I wouldn't do it now if it plugs in... they will take it away just like the iron. And please no one tell me about NOT bringing an iron on a cruise... I THOUGHT steam travel irons were ok and they are not... I now get it. ;)

We were able to hear a toddler screaming her lungs out on the Monarch, then again she is an older ship.

If you have a cabin next to my father you JUST might be able to hear his TV ;) Well at least before he was fitted with a hearing aid, lol.

###

THIS was the answer I was hoping NOT to read... on the Monarch on May 19th of this year I had my 3 boys in 1 cabin adjoining mine and my husbands. I never heard neighbors, BUT I was so worried my neighbors heard my boys. Not that they were screaming or crying, but they are 6, 7 and 9 and just the 3 of them TALKING is louder than I like. I tried to keep their noise level down, but I know their neighbors must have heard them. :( I felt really bad... and I DID try to keep them quieter.

On the 8th deck we had a night club below us and one at the end of the hall - VERY LOUD music from the one below and semi loud from the one at the end of the hall. I was actually happy to feel the floor vibrate and hear the loud music because I knew it would drown out the sound of my own kids - lol. :)

Never heard our neighbors in the cabin itself but did hear "noises" while in the bathroom from them ....must have overeaten at the Tex Mex buffet the night before.:eek: :p

On the Sovereign in December I was woken up around 2:00 am to the person in the next room "violently vomiting":eek: . Guess he had the Tex Mex buffet too mixed with LOTS of Alcohol. Course my husband slept through the whole thing, but I was the one sleeping next to the wall.

THIS was the answer I was hoping NOT to read... on the Monarch on May 19th of this year I had my 3 boys in 1 cabin adjoining mine and my husbands. I never heard neighbors, BUT I was so worried my neighbors heard my boys. Not that they were screaming or crying, but they are 6, 7 and 9 and just the 3 of them TALKING is louder than I like. I tried to keep their noise level down, but I know their neighbors must have heard them. :( I felt really bad... and I DID try to keep them quieter.

CJJ, please don't beat yourself up! Hearing kids laughing and having a good time brings a smile to pretty much anyone's face (even us DINKS - duel income, no kids) :p Our toddler neighbor was screaming at 6 in the morning :eek:

###

I hear my cousins girlfriend praying to god at 12 A.M. There was one final OMG and then it was all over with...I still to this day wonder why she was the only one "praying" :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :eek: And yes the next day she was pretty embarrased about it!!!:o :D

I hear my cousins girlfriend praying to god at 12 A.M. There was one final OMG and then it was all over with...I still to this day wonder why she was the only one "praying" :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :eek:

AWWWWWWWWWWWW.....the power of prayer.:D

I hear my cousins girlfriend praying to god at 12 A.M. There was one final OMG and then it was all over with...I still to this day wonder why she was the only one "praying" :rolleyes: And yes the next day she was pretty embarrased about it!!!:o :D

Praying to the Porcelain God is never good LOL :p In our family we refer to it as being Seasick :cool:

###:D

On the Carnival Victory our friends were in the next cabin and when we were laying in bed at night we could actually understand their conversation as they laid in their bed.

On the Mariner could hear nothing but our relatives bed was on the far wall in their cabin so not directly behind ours.

Laura

CJJ, please don't beat yourself up! Hearing kids laughing and having a good time brings a smile to pretty much anyone's face (even us DINKS - duel income, no kids) :p Our toddler neighbor was screaming at 6 in the morning :eek:

###

THANK YOU! I was praying we had people near us that loved kids - lol. I saw the people on my side of our cabin and down and they were great fun... didn't care if we made nouse and loved the kids. Never saw the people on the other side of the boys cabin until I was putting the luggage out at midnight ... she just gave me a look and didn't say a word. I kept telling myself she was just tired and not talkative - lol.

HOnestly, my kids are good kids, but they are kids all the same. Thanks for making me feel better.

Praying to the Porcelain God is never good LOL :p In our family we refer to it as being Seasick :cool:

###:D

:o Shows you where *my* mind was; I interpreted that prayer as one of praise and thanksgiving and...er...rapture... :eek: :D

Archived